• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Wall Street Journal weekend edition is still updating and redesigning itself

Hugh

And I like it a lot. In fact, they are stealing one of my ideas by adding color to the market data section. The charts of the market indexes are now on a blue background with red markers for down days and green markers for up days.

Newspapers don't carry stock tables anymore, those columns of data about each company's stock price. Publishers are saving money on ink by not printing them anymore. However, I believe that if they made them interesting by adding color, it would draw in readers and advertisers would pay for ads in the stock table section. Newspapers could use green for a closing price that is up from the prior day, red if it was down. They could use green markers to indicate a new 52 week high, red for a 52 week low. Color coded underlining could be used to show unusual trading activity.

That rich, globe trotting sparchaser could back my idea and we could bring the newspaper industry back from the brink of death!

Well crap. They went back to the black and white this week. Still love me a WSJ weekend edition though, best book coverage around.

OK BARFers, question time. The WSJ sends me an invitation to subscribe for $9.99 per month. Each Saturday when I go to purchase the WSJ I pay between $2 and $3.23 for it. So, I could possibly save money and definitely save time by subscribing for delivery. However, delivery service here is spotty at best, and even though I would rarely read a weekday paper, I would feel compelled to call customer service to complain about a missed delivery for a paper that I probably wasn't going to read anyway. I'm begining to think it's worthwhile to subscribe even if I only want the Saturday paper.

I will leave it up to BARF. Should I subscribe or not?

Votes tallied up, 2 votes for, zero against. Thank you for casting your votes. I went straight to the website to place my order and was given a red error page after submission. It claimed that my email was already taken and to use a different one. I most certainly will not use a different email, so the order is cancelled.

There's a telephone number to call, it would be amusing to see if a live person would refuse my subscription as well. If I get everything done on my to-do list, I'll give them a call later today.

OK, a live person in the form of a telemarker called me today and renewed my subscription at the disounted rate. So I wonder if I will get a confirmation email or a notice that I am not eligible.....

I like John Fund as a columnist and I enjoy the editorial page, though I tend to disagree with their opinions 85% of the time. I read the online version and they operate a smooth program.

The carrier misses my Barron's delivery almost 50% of the time, and missed my WSJ delivery a couple of times. However, there have been no missed deliveries in the last two weeks. And this week there was a Christmas card and a self addressed envelope expecting a gratuity. When I think of the time I wasted on hold to the Barron's customer service line on Saturday mornings, I only want to include a note reminding her how job competence is how gratuities are earned. However, I can't be a meanie, so I will send a tip. The question is, how much? According to one of those wiki sites, the tip for newspaper delivery should be $10 per month for daily delivery, or $10 per year for a weekly delivery. That would be $10 for my Barron's, and $10 for one month's worth of WSJs for a total of $20. Cosidering she missed almost half of the Barron's deliveries, that would make it $6 for Barron's, and about $8 for WSJ to deduct for missed deliveries there as well. Using that formulation, she gets $14.

Sound about right?

I would tip the entire $20, but include a note explaining the missed deliveries and a bit about how, in the future the tip will reflect the accuracy of the delivery schedule. That's just what I would do though.
I have a soft spot for people who depend on tips. Even when they are incompetent. I figure they need the money all the more.

Back