• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Walt Whitman

I really enjoy I Hear America Singing. It reminds me a lot of DeTocqueville's Democracy in America in that it captures what early America was about. Very inspiring. I haven't read a lot of his other works, but I'm working through the Leaves of Grass right now.

I was touring Chatham Manor, just across the river from Fredericksburg, VA and the tour guide mentioned that Walt Whitman was there during the war nursing the union wounded. That's the same location that Whitman's "captain" reviewed the union troops. Whitman was an interesting guy.

I'm not familiar with his work, but I really like O Captain! My Captain!. That may have something to do with the fact that Dead Poets Society is one of my favorite movies...:whistling:

:lol: I thought of that as well. It's amazing what Robin Williams can do for your poetry.;) I also enjoy Democratic Vistas,though it doesn't get enough credit IMHO.

Half-way through Song of Myself. I really enjoy how he paints a picture of the different people and occupations that were around at the time, not to mention of women and slaves.

Some of the deeper portions that can have you up all night thinking

One world is aware and by far the largest to me, and that is myself.

My foothold is tenon'd and mortis'd in granite,
I laugh at what you call dissolution,
And I know the amplitude of time.

My favorite part of The World Below the Brine:
"Passions there, wars, pursuits, tribes, sight in those ocean-depths,
breathing that thick-breathing air, as so many do,
The change thence to the sight here, and to the subtle air breathed
by beings like us who walk this sphere,
The change onward from ours to that of beings who walk other
spheres."

I'm not familiar with his work, but I really like O Captain! My Captain!. That may have something to do with the fact that Dead Poets Society is one of my favorite movies...:whistling:

I think I can relate to that.

Another favourite:

A Clear Midnight

This is the hour, O soul,
thy free flight into the wordless,
Away from books,
away from art,
the day erased,
the lesson done,
Thee fully forth emerging,
silent, gazing,
pondering the themes thou lovest best: