• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

War Of The Worlds

Ah, thank you - so many people hate the film purely due to the final 15 minutes. Such a shame.

Cheers

The final fifteen minutes showed us Kubrick's realizations behind the dangers of artificial intelligence.

I have just finished reading the War Of The Worlds. I havent seen the movie as it is not iut yet where I am. I have seen many trailers and it seems to be set in america which bothers me...

yeah I totally know what you mean, fistandantilus. the makers of war of the worlds totally ruined the story of aliens invading by placing it in modern-day america. I mean, what are the odds of that happening? and let's not forget orson welles' radio broadcast in 1938. that was also really unlikely and stupid.

Fistandantilus said:
I have seen many trailers and it seems to be set in america which bothers me...

Do you think that it will make a significant difference in the storyline? Considering all of the hollywood book bastardizations I have seen lately, this just doesn't seem like a big deal to me. Maybe it's because I'm american. I don't know.

I'd say that the biggest change probably is that the setting is the 21:st century rather than the 19:th century.

Lots of flags in the trailer though. It almost seems like it may try to invoke Folk pride and unity.

Wolhay said:
I'd say that the biggest change probably is that the setting is the 21:st century rather than the 19:th century.

See, now that is a significant difference in my mind. Technology wise 100 years means a lot more than a trip across an ocean.

i heard that this War of the Worlds won't contain the cheezy love story that the last movie did. i don't recall a cheezy love story in that old one, but i saw it probably 15 years ago. anyway, i can't stand Tom Cruise either but I am dying to see the movie. i love Dakota Fanning- she's an amazing little actress.

i loved AI. the ending left me disturbed, but that wasn't a bad thing

mehastings said:
Do you think that it will make a significant difference in the storyline? Considering all of the hollywood book bastardizations I have seen lately, this just doesn't seem like a big deal to me. Maybe it's because I'm american. I don't know.

it just bothers me because it is inacurate. The book, as you know, was set in England and i think that a movie for such a great book should follow it closely.

ok so i saw this tonight. great special effects. i really don't know much about any back history so nothing was ruined for me simply by comparison. although i'm not loving tom in real life, his acting was good in this. my big huge problem
what the hell was up with the end? all the inlaws are still in their brownstone just hanging out while the rest of the world is out getting it's ass kicked? and the son is there!?!! we go from the worst freakin nightmare scenario to the best happiest ending ever!!!give me a huge break!!i'd like to add that just this morning i read a big article on speilber that ciritisizes him for his adherence to a good vs evil formula with good triumphing everytime. to paraphrase the author of the article, he quotes the line in the movie about how there is no thunder following the lightning, and that spielberg's movies are just that, all light no thunder. i knew there was going to be a happy ending. this is a stephen speilberg movie. but wouldn't it have been more interesting had it not been so neatly tied up/

in any event, any of those movies where the world is being taken over; be it zombies, or aliens, or plagues, they all disturb me even when they are poorly done. having children has sent my protective instinct into over-drive.

Saw it last night and it was awesome. Even Tom cruise was not too bad. The Tripods were mindblowing! That foghorn thing they have makes the teeth rattle.

Saw it the other night. Going to see it again. It's really horrifying. I thought it was scarier than a "scary movie." Great movie.

i do agree totally that it was horrifying. as i was watching it i kept thinking how it was so much scarier than i'd anticipated. there was not a lot of comic relief. throughout i thought, how is this going to end well? but the end did ruin it for me.
was morgan freeman the voice at the beginning and end? i love him.

Yeah, that was Morgan; he's a native of my state, for whatever that's worth.

The movie was really stressful. It definitely created a sense of helplessness or hopelessness the entire time. I have dreams like that sometimes. The next day I'm worn out.

it was stressful. i had a headache leaving the theatre. i kept thinking, what would i do? where would i run? how would i get the boys out? *shiver*

Helplessness. Hopelessness.
Even in the end, there was nothing we as humans could do to stop them.
I think the movie did a pretty good job of showing what people will do when put in that pitiful situation.

i should say that i did like
the ending that you are talking about, with what finally defeated the aliens, i just HATED, the bit with tom walking up the street and there is the all the inlaws, totally fine. i guess we are to think that the aliens had not hit that area of boston....?

Yeah really.
I wish they had killed the son, and really, the parents and grandparents.
I mean, if you're going for the scare-the-hell-out-of-'em story, then go all the way. Don't get to third base and then chicken out.

I went to see it again last night, and it did not have the same effect the second time around. I wasn't sure whether it would or not.

that happened to me with signs. the first time i watched it, FREAKED OUT!!!!! great movie. but the second viewing obviously did not have the same effect as the secret was out. still the second time around i had a chance to think about what was being talked about. the idea that there are no coincidences, that things happen for a reason. i believe that.

going off subject . . .
jenngorham said:
the idea that there are no coincidences, that things happen for a reason. i believe that.
I don't. Do you smell that? Smells like a new jenngorham-Motokid thread coming on. ;)

Back