• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Washington Gladden: The church and modern life

SFG75

Washington Gladden was a well known minister and leader of the "social gospel" movement in the early 20th century. Gladden's book highlights the need to construct a better christian society by having churches and leaders become authoritative prophets who warn against the excesses of greed and materialism in industrial life. To Gladden, some churches preach to the individual and promise him "feel good" theology, at the expense of realizing greater potential with one's fellow man. Gladden states that man is inherently religious and that the social function is part of this. A good portion of the book excoriates "orthodoxism" and what he says-is the worshipping of the letter, and not the spirit of God. In this respect, he is clearly a liberal theologian who believes in a "living Bible" that can change with time as more truths become evident. He does mention evolution and science, though he saves his wrath for churches that failed to condemn industrial men who threw others out of work, and who didn't pay a living wage. This book is highly recommended if you would like a "different' view regarding christianity and social justice. It is important to remember that religious leaders have been at the forefront of progressive change.

It is important to remember that religious leaders have been at the forefront of progressive change.

The Pope opposed the US invading Iraq, but the US did it anyway. If I took the time to look for other examples, I'm sure I could find many. They speak about giving, relieving world hunger, etc., but none of those things change. Religious leaders are at the forefront of nothing. They serve the same purpose as Rush Limbaugh - they make their listeners, (parishoners), feel good for a little while. No change comes about because of religious leaders, (or Limbaugh either).

The Pope opposed the US invading Iraq, but the US did it anyway. If I took the time to look for other examples, I'm sure I could find many. They speak about giving, relieving world hunger, etc., but none of those things change. Religious leaders are at the forefront of nothing. They serve the same purpose as Rush Limbaugh - they make their listeners, (parishoners), feel good for a little while. No change comes about because of religious leaders, (or Limbaugh either).

Gladden's book is mostly critical of Christianity in his time. To him, "the social question" was not addressed and thus, Christianity's influence and true purpose was neglected. To him, you had to address those things and put your neck out there. He maintained that Martin Luther didn't go far enough and that ultimately, he sided with the German princes who had the pitch-fork toting peasants killed. A social revolution could have occurred during the reformation and the few others that followed its namesake, but to no avail. Gladden and social progressives today would agree with you that those Christians do not fulfill their main calling, but that there are those that do(or who did) Father Berrigan is one example, not to mention the history of the Religious Society of Friends. Taking a boatload of food and supplies to North Vietnam is rather gutsy. Others going against the grain include Jehovah's Witness students who field a lawsuit during a time of war about the pledge of allegiance, and the founding of the Mother Hull home during the industrial revolution.

Back