• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Weirdest book

Fierce Invalids Home From Hot Climates

Fierce Invalids Home From Hot Climates by Tom Robbins
This was probably the most random plot line and the most random main character i have ever read about (perhaps i haven't read enough.) The book itself is difficult to explain let alone the characters...
Here's a quote to back me up:

"We search for the door in the side of the pumpkin," he whispered, "but unlike Cinderella's coach, it is drawn only by its own slow ripening." (Where was this coming from?) "Distracted by the toothy glitter of com, mice leave it to round, to orange: a globe of lost continents, a faceless head, its true identity known only to the Halloween knife and certain deputies of the pie police. 0 pumpkin, pregnant squaw bladder, hardiest of moons, scarecrow's beachball, in the name of farmers' daughters everywhere, remove your hood and - "

I think the weirdest book I ever read was Wieland, by Charles Brockden Brown. It was for an American lit class, and the teacher had a fondness for horror. The story is just so incredibly bizarre, especially since part of it is supposed to be based on a true story. Freaked me out so I couldn't sleep for a few nights.

The Chronicles of Narnia wasn't exactly a weird book, but the ending was f-ed up. I don't want to spoil it for anyone, but I had to read the last installment 3 times, cause I didn't understand it the first 2 times and I'm still a little confused.

I agree the Last Battle was a bit random in it's ending. Falling Out of Cars by Jeff Noon was a bit mad. Half the book seems to be dreams or hallucinations so you never quite know whats real. It's odd in a good way.

"I, Lucifer" by Glen Duncan was very strange. Just the idea of it, with the devil having a chance at salvation and the way "he" tells the story in first person.
Very funny though. The devil has a very dry and sarcastic sense of humor, as you would expect I guess :D. I enjoyed it a lot.

Glen Duncan writes weird books, he manages to be poignant and funny. Another one of his I read was about this guy who dies and wakes up as a kind of ghost. He can see his family suffering, dealing with his loss but can't do anything about it, and he can't quite remember if he killed himself or not. I think the title was "Death of an Ordinary Man".

"The Resort" by Bentley Little. I don't know how to explain it, but it was just a disturbing, weird book. Read it and you'll know what I mean.

Without adding titles in the Magical realism genre, I can think of The Gormenghast Trilogy by Mervyn Peake, and The Metamorphosis by Franz Kafka.

Also am including a very little known novel, In a Pig's Eye [?], author forgotten. I can recall it as being one of the first irreverent books I had read.
In it, God is a lech and the Archangel Michael is his boy toy. God creates a plague that kills off humans. A man makes a promise to God that he will never wash his testicles again if his ailing mother lived and keeps his promise when his mother survives; his unwashed balls create a kind of penicillin that cures people of the plague so he goes around having sex with prostitutes.
The man's mother, disgusted by her son's odor, decides to marry Satan and live in Hell. There were other strange characters including a lamia, and I don't remember how it all ended.
I guess this obscurity qualifies as weird. :D

Back