• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Welcome To The New Book & Reader

Actually I have been on forums where every time you want to start a thread it searches for any similar threads to cut down on duplicate threads. The idea being - don't start a new thread if one already exists.

Does it? I haven't noticed. The other places I have seen it in action it actually does a pop up of similar threads and asks if any of these are the same.

I try to find an old thread beforestarting a new one, if I can. I also like reading some of the really old ones :) Sometimes I will come across something I posted years ago and cringe a bit though, funny how much you change in 8 years.

I try to find an old thread beforestarting a new one, if I can. I also like reading some of the really old ones :) Sometimes I will come across something I posted years ago and cringe a bit though, funny how much you change in 8 years.

I'd be more worried if you hadn't changed :) growth is an essential part of life.

I have to say that the private forum is getting to be pretty weird. They don't participate in the main forums do they? This VIP room feel to the place is a little disconcerting. I wouldn't mind it so much if their posts don't show up in Newest Posts function for example, and I have to always check if that interesting thread I see there belongs to a subforum that I cannot post to. Grr.

I have to say that the private forum is getting to be pretty weird. They don't participate in the main forums do they? This VIP room feel to the place is a little disconcerting. I wouldn't mind it so much if their posts don't show up in Newest Posts function for example, and I have to always check if that interesting thread I see there belongs to a subforum that I cannot post to. Grr.

I will see what I can do.

Wow, Brent, you're quick! Don't worry about it so much, it was a knee-jerk reaction post. It doesn't really bother me all that much. :)

Actually..... now that I think about it, you know what else bothers me about the forum, Brent? It doesn't give its members BMWs. Can you also see what you can do with that also, while you work on things? I can come collect.

I would happy to see a better format / visibility / invisibility to that section as well. So anything you can do will be great Brent.

Well I would think it would be weird for them as well, to know this other forum can read all that they post but not contribute anything. I still don't know if they can do the same here. Maybe we are the ghostso_O

When I first saw ICE at the top of the page, I thought it meant the I.C.E. we're all supposed to have on our mobile phones -- as in "In Case of Emergency" -- i.e. to click on if there are problems with the site. Silly me.

Glad to have you back Ell.:)

You're the ICEing on the cake.:p

You don't want to know my opinion of things right now.

Some of them have seemed to be as puzzled as we are.

( as you can see from the post above, as a technology-challenged
computer dummy I send blank posts occasionally. Apologies.)
"..they don't post on BAR" Or something like that. If I go
back to check the exact wording, I'll lose the whole kit and
caboodle. It's happened before. Actually, they do. Following
BAR nightly until the small(ish) hours, I've seen a number
of ICE members contributing to other forums/threads. I'm
sure ICE members don't think of themselves as any VIP
clique. Inevitably, in any long-running forum a relatively
small number of members will post more frequently
than most. After all, check out how many, or rather
how few, people have posted on this thread recently.
I wouldn't call them "a clique".
ICE was formed when a mystery forum on Amazon
closed down after reaching its limit. ICE was set up
as an invitation only forum because the previous one
had attracted some pretty creepy and obnoxious
characters. B and R was generous enough to offer
ICE a place. But ICE was admitted as an invite-
only forum, not an open one. Would it be right to
alter the terms later? It would be as if you searched
for ages to find an apartment complex which took
pets, only to be told a while later that they had
changed the rules under which you took the
apartment and it was a matter of get rid of the
pets or get out. O.K.,that bit of autobiography
is harsher than "Is ICE a good scout in BAR?"
but I think the the principle is the same.

This is a l-o-n-g post. I have a reputation on
ICE for these, but I'll work at being more
concise when posting on other BAR forums.
Read on, read happy.

( as you can see from the post above, as a technology-challenged
computer dummy I send blank posts occasionally. Apologies.)
"..they don't post on BAR" Or something like that. If I go
back to check the exact wording, I'll lose the whole kit and
caboodle. It's happened before. Actually, they do. Following
BAR nightly until the small(ish) hours, I've seen a number
of ICE members contributing to other forums/threads. I'm
sure ICE members don't think of themselves as any VIP
clique. Inevitably, in any long-running forum a relatively
small number of members will post more frequently
than most. After all, check out how many, or rather
how few, people have posted on this thread recently.
I wouldn't call them "a clique".
ICE was formed when a mystery forum on Amazon
closed down after reaching its limit. ICE was set up
as an invitation only forum because the previous one
had attracted some pretty creepy and obnoxious
characters. B and R was generous enough to offer
ICE a place. But ICE was admitted as an invite-
only forum, not an open one. Would it be right to
alter the terms later? It would be as if you searched
for ages to find an apartment complex which took
pets, only to be told a while later that they had
changed the rules under which you took the
apartment and it was a matter of get rid of the
pets or get out. O.K.,that bit of autobiography
is harsher than "Is ICE a good scout in BAR?"
but I think the the principle is the same.

This is a l-o-n-g post. I have a reputation on
ICE for these, but I'll work at being more
concise when posting on other BAR forums.
Read on, read happy.

I don't think anyone was proposing ICE be forced to let us join or any changes to your policies. I was just curious, there's not really any information about it on the bar side and honestly the above that you posted is the only post I have seen on a BAR thread from an ICE member.

So, I take it ICE members can post freely on both and are full fledged members of both but have chosen not to merge fully with BAR. Which is fine but then I think we should not have ICE threads showing in our new posts and searches. It is confusing and sometimes disappointing when you see a thread get ready to participate and realize you can not. And often ICE has much more activity than BAR does.

For prospective or new members I can see this being worrisome too. What if they joined wanting to take part in a discussion they saw on ICE? They can't post and there is absolutely no posted explanation why.

I agree, Ronny. It seems odd to have ICE posts show up under recent and new posts on BAR, but when you get to the thread, you're met with a "You have insufficient privileges to reply here" message. Why bother showing the posts to BAR members at all?

I was also wondering if having two separate areas, might result in the syphoning-off of regular BAR members to the more active ICE, thus diminishing the number and depth of discussions on BAR? (I.e. Why bother to post on BAR if you can join ICE and discuss in a smaller, more intimate forum?)

For example, I just read the following in a thread from ICE:
Anyone see CONTINUUM? A really fascinating series (Canadian, I think) that has police officer from the future (2077) caught up in a terrorist cell's prison/execution escape through time travel back to 2012. A little science fiction, a little suspense, a little mystery. I'm hooked! Watching on Netflix.
Kathy

and would have replied, but I need to contact the admin there and get permission to join in order to post . . . So, I didn't -- reply or join.

I don't think anyone was proposing ICE be forced to let us join or any changes to your policies. I was just curious, there's not really any information about it on the bar side and honestly the above that you posted is the only post I have seen on a BAR thread from an ICE member.

So, I take it ICE members can post freely on both and are full fledged members of both but have chosen not to merge fully with BAR. Which is fine but then I think we should not have ICE threads showing in our new posts and searches. It is confusing and sometimes disappointing when you see a thread get ready to participate and realize you can not. And often ICE has much more activity than BAR does.

For prospective or new members I can see this being worrisome too. What if they joined wanting to take part in a discussion they saw on ICE? They can't post and there is absolutely no posted explanation why.

Thanks. I appreciate your polite and
friendly response, as on reflection
I think I might have come across as
a bit aggressive. Your points do
make sense, and I see that having
ICE threads and posts appearing
indiscriminately among the other,
all-member, notifications of new
posts and searches, isn't a very
helpful approach. This should be
made clearer, so that present
and prospective BAR members