• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Welcome To The New Book & Reader

It looks to me like a separate forum, what with its own separate membership and its own separate gatekeeper and separate topics. Why not just make it a separate forum? Just askin. But it makes little difference to me; I just skip ICE entries

AIE: . . . the way BAR used to have a separate "mature section" where one had to ask permission from the moderator to join (and to see).

Last edited:
On a similar note, I went to the state fair and saw a snake woman and a cow with two heads.

Thanks. I appreciate your polite and
friendly response, as on reflection
I think I might have come across as
a bit aggressive. Your points do
make sense, and I see that having
ICE threads and posts appearing
indiscriminately among the other,
all-member, notifications of new
posts and searches, isn't a very
helpful approach. This should be
made clearer, so that present
and prospective BAR members
aren't disappointed.
Colin

I think that is the basic tenor of the points being made. I wasn't aware of the existence of ICE at all until recently because of a computer hiccup I didn't see anything relating to it. After some comments were made I thought hold on ... and it was fixed and since then I've been mildly confuzzled by the posts which I have to take the time to see where they were posted. Its not huge, but it is mildly time consuming and therefore a bit annoying at times.

I'm sure its confusing to new members as well because closed invitation only sections of forums are not usually visible to non-members. To my mind, if anyone and every one including visitors to the site can read the posts, why bother to make it invitation only to reply? It's not like anything is hidden anyway.

So whatever decision is made regarding visibility to non-members I think there does need to be some kind of decision. I hope this is helpful.

Hmm, interesting reaction to my feedback from Colin. But a welcome closure.

I have another feedback: textual links. When I set a word or sequence of words as text for a link, the text itself appears as the same font and colour as the rest of the non-linked, well, text. Since it's indistinguishable from normal text, readers may not know that it's a link.

So I say click here for Google, but you can't see that the word 'here' is a link unless you mouse-over it. To make it explicit, I may have to say click http://www.google.com/ for Google instead.

May I suggest some visual indicator that a word is a link?

I'm such a pot-stirrer! :(

While the pot is open, I'll add:
Somehow the "Information" tab of my Profile page seems frozen; I can open it, but I can't update it. Am I missing something?

Hmm, interesting reaction to my feedback from Colin. But a welcome closure.

I have another feedback: textual links. When I set a word or sequence of words as text for a link, the text itself appears as the same font and colour as the rest of the non-linked, well, text. Since it's indistinguishable from normal text, readers may not know that it's a link.

So I say click here for Google, but you can't see that the word 'here' is a link unless you mouse-over it. To make it explicit, I may have to say click http://www.google.com/ for Google instead.

May I suggest some visual indicator that a word is a link?

I'm such a pot-stirrer! :(

ohhh lol I noticed that ages ago but I thought it was just me because I generally browse with all images turned off (its a personal quirk, most of the time the text is the interesting bit not all the random pictures on sites and it makes them load faster and you don't see ANY adverts :) don't mess with ad blockers, just switch off your images!)

So yeah colour on the links pretty please.
While the pot is open, I'll add:
Somehow the "Information" tab of my Profile page seems frozen; I can open it, but I can't update it. Am I missing something?

You change those in "PERSONAL DETAILS" top most tab on the LHS on the drop down menu when you click on your name.

The 'INFORMATION' tab is read only for visitors.

Thanks, still learning. As I seem to do most of my life. :D

AIE: HAH! 100 character limit! So no change -- field already full. /chagrin/

Off topic here, but I've seen AIE a couple of times on the forums and I can't for the life of me figure out what it means. (Some internet search results: Acceptance Inspection Element, Advanced Instructor Exam, active infective endocarditis, . . .?)

Well, by all means let's stamp it out.
AIE: right now!

AFAIK "added in edit" should work also. :D

Last edited:
Thank you all (I think). At least I'm not left SMH. OTOH you might have opened a COW because all I can do now is think of alternatives for AIE. Hmm, Antiquated Indigenous Elders, Ambivalent Internet Elephants, Associated Incompatible Extras, . . . . .

Well I'll be darned! I am truly humbled by not being able to find a definition of AIE via either Google (gasp!) or Urban Dictionary. They know AFAIK, but AIE is impossible to find, so far. So my apologies are owed to all; I though y'alls were juss razzin me. :)
AIE stands for (in my mind) "Added In Edit," for a textual addition to a post, made after the original post but added later using the Edit function.
All clear everyone?
And I won't do it anymore
(but maybe not any less, either -- Groucho Marx).

73 & 88
Peder

Well I'll be darned! I am truly humbled by not being able to find a definition of AIE via either Google (gasp!) or Urban Dictionary. They know AFAIK, but AIE is impossible to find, so far. So my apologies are owed to all; I though y'alls were juss razzin me. :)
AIE stands for (in my mind) "Added In Edit," for a textual addition to a post, made after the original post but added later using the Edit function.
All clear everyone?
And I won't do it anymore
(but maybe not any less, either -- Groucho Marx).

73 & 88
Peder

Now how do you know '88' LOL - unless your '88' is different to my '88' which is possible :)

aah lol ok then it is different. Mine is Chinese internet slang for 'bye bye' for which I've been given two explanations - '8' is 'ba' and thus phonectically similar to 'bye'. The other is that '8' is visually similar to the character 白 'bai' (white) and thus 'bai-bai'.

Back