• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Wesley Stace: Misfortune

Litany

It's taken me at least two months to drag myself through this book and I cannot let the event go unmarked.

It has a jolly cover, and lots of praise from all and sundry scribbled all over it. The blurb tells you about a baby called Rose, raised as the heir to Love Hall. Only Rose is a boy (gosh) and one day is banished as an imposter. It takes two paragraphs on the back of the book to reveal all of this. So why did it take just shy of 300 bloody pages to explain it in the book?

This book opened some sort of rift in time turning fives minutes of reading in to ten long, painful hours of mental torture. 'Amazingly entertaining and fun' Rick Moody? You, sir, are a liar!

Anyway, I finally make it to the point where the plot starts and it might as well not have bothered. The unexpected twist that a myopic duck could see coming from a mile off took bloody ages to reveal itself, the luvvy-duvvy family crap made me want to vomit and the evil usurpers were more overdone than Spitting Image puppets.

Bad bad bad bad bad bad bad bad bad bad book. Bad. Don't do it. Bad.

Back