• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Westerns

muggle

Does anyone read "Westerns" besides abecedarian and me. If you are interested i strongly recommend a Trilogy written about Mountain Men. This is not a cowboy type western but is more like historical fiction. "The Big Sky", written over 60 years ago, was the first of the Trilogy written by A.B. Guthrie. Guthrie was a writer that also won the Pullitzer prize.......this from Amazon:

Originally published more than sixty years ago, The Big Sky is the first of A. B. Guthrie Jr.'s epic adventure novels set in the American West. Here he introduces Boone Caudill, Jim Deakins, and Dick Summers: traveling the Missouri River from St. Louis to the Rockies, these frontiersmen live as trappers, traders, guides, and explorers. The story centers on Caudill, a young Kentuckian driven by a raging hunger for life and a longing for the blue sky and brown earth of big, wild places. Caught up in the freedom and savagery of the wilderness, Caudill becomes an untamed mountain man, whom only the beautiful daughter of a Blackfoot chief dares to love.

Hey Muggle! So glad to see you posting today! Funny you should jump in and talk about A.B. Guthrie; just this morning I came across his name while reading the latest Bookmarks magazine, and I was thinking I need to read his trilogy. Perfect timing!

I'm currently reading "Blood Meridian" by Cormac McCarthy, that counts, right?

it's my first experience with C-mac, quite an interesting book.

I'm currently reading "Blood Meridian" by Cormac McCarthy, that counts, right?

it's my first experience with C-mac, quite an interesting book.

I envy you. You have a lot of great reading in front of you. I have read all of Cormac's writings, great, great, author.

Now, back on topic. the pretty darn good book by Win Blevins....."Give Your Heart to the Hawks' is a very good book on the Mountain Man. It is actually a tribute to them. The following is again from Amazon:

For over thirty years, from the time of Lewis and Clark into the 1840s, the mountain men explored the Great American West. As trappers in a hostile, trackless land, their exploits opened the gates of the mountains for the wagon trains of pioneers who followed them.
In Give Your Heart to the Hawks, Win Blevins presents a poetic tribute to these dauntless "first Westerners" and their incredible adventures. Here, among many, are the stories of:
* John Colter, who, in 1808, naked and without weapons or food, escaped captivity by the Blackfeet and ran and walked 250 miles to Fort Lisa at the mouth of the Yellowstone River;
* Hugh Glass, who was mauled by a grizzly in 1823, left for dead by his trapper companions, and crawled 300 miles to Fort Kiowa on the Missouri;
* Kit Carson, who ran away from home at age 17, became a legendary mountain man in his 20s and served as scout and guide for John C. Fremont's westward explorations of the 1840s;
* Jedediah Smith, a tall, gaunt, Bible-reading New Yorker whose trapping expeditions ranged from the Rockies to California and who was killed by Comanches on the Cimarron in 1831.

Back