• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Westerns

ooh, brings back memories: Alias Smith and Jones; Wild, Wild West (I never missed it if I could help it), and Bonanza, of course! :)

pistolero said:
"Muggle" thinks it knows who categorizes a film. If "Muggle" was aware that Peckinpah was part of the film industry (as every filmmakers is), and was aware that he also categorized Straw Dogs as a Western, it would retract its statements now.

I've already answered this argument. I'll cross-apply: to be consistent with your theory, you'd have to criticize Kill Bill for being called a samurai film, since the samurai were abolished in the 19th century, "before there were telephones and automobiles." I saw several phones and cars in the movie, so clearly we're wrong to refer to it as a samurai film. Seriously, why do you have a classification fetish? Damn, just let film be what it is... It's something you live you know, not just something you watch. That you can categorize movies by some standard that is so media-tized that it doesn't really even exist takes away from the artist's intentions. I am sorry Straw Dogs doesn't fall into your "Western" compartment.

It looks like we'll never agree on this, so let's drop it.

Miss Shelf said:
ooh, brings back memories: Alias Smith and Jones; Wild, Wild West (I never missed it if I could help it), and Bonanza, of course! :)
I read somewhere recently where they said there was something like 27 Westerns on TV weekly during the height of their popularity. And I undoubtedly watched them all every week. :)

Gary Cooper? Be still, my throbbing heart! He is #2 behind John Wayne.

I know Little House on the Prairie and Dr. Quinn, Medicine Woman can't really be called Western shows, but I liked them because they showed how people lived on the frontier, unlike the movies where the female stars were mainly prostitutes or "decent" women only seen grabbing children and scurrying for cover when the gunshots rang out from the saloon.

Miss Shelf said:
I know Little House on the Prairie and Dr. Quinn, Medicine Woman can't really be called Western shows, but I liked them because they showed how people lived on the frontier, unlike the movies where the female stars were mainly prostitutes or "decent" women only seen grabbing children and scurrying for cover when the gunshots rang out from the saloon.
I would consider both of those as Westerns.

Has anyone mentioned:

The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance.....John Wayne, lee Marvin, and Andy Devine.

Shane......Alan Ladd

The Sons of Katie Elder and the new(er) version of Maverick, the Mel Gibson one. Loved James Garner as his dad. Full Circle. :) And James Coburn was great in it too!

T.V. series, The Wild, Wild West...and what was the older one that Richard Boone played Paladin in?

pontalba said:
The Sons of Katie Elder and the new(er) version of Maverick, the Mel Gibson one. Loved James Garner as his dad. Full Circle. :) And James Coburn was great in it too!

T.V. series, The Wild, Wild West...and what was the older one that Richard Boone played Paladin in?
Have Gun, Will Travel. :)

Back