• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Westerns

turque

Loving the westerns so much...
My favorite ones:

The Good, the Bad and the Ugly (actually the whole trilogy of Clint Eastwoond who is great in these movies!)
Once Upon a Time in the West
The Searchers
Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid
The Treasure of the Sierra Madre
Rio Bravo...
etc.

What do you think of westerns?

Rio Bravo is special to me because my uncles's first wife was in it. She playedt he tavern keeper's wife..the one who scolds him for sheltering John Wayne, Dean Martin, and Rick Nelson..She was also in some of the early Wagon Train episodes. She was hispanic and as a resident of Tucon, available for work as an extra in the many film opportunities back in the
50's.

Ah, the good ole days. :) Back in the fifties there were at least 3 or 4 westerns on TV every night of the week.

Programs like Gunsmoke, Have Gun Will Travel, Maverick, Rawhide, The Virginian, Wanted Dead Or Alive, and on and on. To me those were the golden days of TV. :)

muggle said:
Ah, the good ole days. :) Back in the fifties there were at least 3 or 4 westerns on TV every night of the week.

Programs like Gunsmoke, Have Gun Will Travel, Maverick, Rawhide, The Virginian, Wanted Dead Or Alive, and on and on. To me those were the golden days of TV. :)

And don't forget Branded, Death Valley Days, and The High Chapparal..although I think that one was a little later. When my mom and I visited Old Tucson back in 1977 we got to see the sets for The High Chapparal. It was a cool place, but I liked the Arizona-Sonora Desert Museum down the road even better. My dad and I used to watch westerns on weekend afternoons, before Harold Ensley's fishing show came on.."Gone fishin instead of justa wishin.." Anyway, I can still hear him giggling til the tears rolled down his cheeks from the times we watched McClintock or Texas Across the River..

My fave westerns:

The Wild Bunch
Unforgiven
The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly
Ride the High Country
Once Upon a Time in the West
The Outlaw Josey Wales
The Long Riders

Isn't Once Upon a Time in the West the one with Kris Kristofferson? About some sort of range war? If so, I hated that one. It was so graphically violent it still bothers me to dwell on it.

No, he's not in it. It's the one where Henry Fonda plays the bad guy and Charles Bronson is after him. You might be thinking of Heaven's Gate.

I like lenny's list. I would also add Pale Rider, which I think is Clint's best.

Also, the Japanese movie Tampopo takes some of the classic Western conventions and gives them a funny spin. Def. worth catching.

For old-time Westerns, I like:

The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance
Shane

The Magnificent Seven was also a good movie. Great stars in it including Steve McQueen, James Coburn, Charles Bronson, Robert Vaughn, Yul Brynner, and Eli Wallach.

Oh I love Westerns!

High Noon
Silverado
The Man that Shot Liberty Valance
Shane
The Searchers
The Magnificent Seven
Tombstone
Rio Bravo
Dances with Wolves
Hondo
Rio Lobo
True Grit

I'll even watch The Cowboys when it comes on TV. I can't say I've ever heard of Tears of the Black Tiger.

Robert said:
Dances with Wolves[/I]

Is this a western?? In that case I loved it... but I do not think it can be included in that category! :D
Well... I remembered one movie that I loved very much, seen it a few months ago... three men and a kid with the cows near a town, the sheriff shots to death one of them and their dog and the war starts... damn... I cannot remember the name... and I am not a good movie-teller either! :mad:

turque said:
Is this a western?? In that case I loved it... but I do not think it can be included in that category! :D
Well... I remembered one movie that I loved very much, seen it a few months ago... three men and a kid with the cows near a town, the sheriff shots to death one of them and their dog and the war starts... damn... I cannot remember the name... and I am not a good movie-teller either! :mad:

Dances with Wolves is considered a western.

The movie that you have described doesn't sound familiar. :confused:

And let us not forget .......Lonesome Dove.... one of the great ones. Robert Duvall is a very good actor.

Back