• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

What actors do you think are any good?

Ashlea said:
Don't know what they showed in Mexico, but the European version has about half an hour more than the American version, and it makes it a completely different movie.

i just check it on the net, it seems the same movie was released in america and europe in 94 or 95 but also there was a french release director's cut in 96 which its the one with the extra 26 minutes.

bobbyburns said:
yeah. if you're a hardcore fan, I'd highly recommend the toa of jeet kune do.

i read that. my husband is a huge fan and so i read a few autobiographies and that. he was a really interesting person, it is too bad we will never know what else he would have achieved.

he sort of hit a glass ceiling when it came to the whole "zen" thing, but his martial arts skills were amazing. it's kind of ironic, because I was talking to my aikido instructor a couple hours ago about the same thing you just mentioned: what could he have achieved had he lived to be 60 years old? perhaps his skills as a martial artist could have touched that other place he kept referring to.

jenngorham said:
he was a really interesting person, it is too bad we will never know what else he would have achieved.

novella said:
Especially any good at acting.
Corey Haim.
haim4_i.jpg

novella said:
Hmmmmm.

Just taking the piss, RG . . . :eek:
Well I was going to post Corey Feldman :p

I guess Leonardo Decaprio is quite a good actor because he played a really great roll in Whats eating gilbert Grape.

I agree with the others on Spacey & Depp. A few recent favorites are Daniel Day-Lewis, Russell Crowe & Paul Bettany.

And I agree with an old post of Billy O's. I 've always liked James Mason.

RaVeN

Good call on Paul Bettany; much better than Hugh Grant.

And I also agree with RG on Leonardo DiCaprio. Many people give him slack for Titanic, but because of that many people don't see how good an actor he really is. This is the guy that earned himself an Oscar nomination with his debut performance in What's Eating Gilbert Grape. I absolutely loved his latest, the Aviator, which, incidentally, will be brutally ignored come Oscar-time.

Cheers

I saw Jamie Foxx in Ray last night. Man, was he good. His keyboard work *looked* magic. Ray Charles always seemed to me to be riding two horses, but that movie is worth a look.

just watched on the waterfront, and I must say, it's scary how good brando was back in the day. I'm still a little teary-eyed. it was packed full of great scenes. "I coulda been a contender, I coulda been somebody, instead of a bum, which is what I am."

Do you mean best ever or just working today?

As for best actors ever i would definitely include the following:

Jack Lemmon - he was so versatile he could play anything!

James Stewart - same goes for him!

George C. Scott - a terrible overlooked and often forgotten actor, who always proved to be one of the greatest ever!

Marlon Brando - hell, he is Marlon Brando, how could someone make a list of the greatest ever and not include him!

Werner Herzog - probably one of the greates german speaking actors ever!

Robert Duvall - okay, i know he actually still works today, but he definitely belongs to this list as well and he is so often forgotten to mention!

Jack Nicholson - a legendary man, both as an actor and in real life, to anyone who thinks he always plays the same, watch: "One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest", "Chinatown", "The Shining", "Batman" and "The Pledge" and then still tell me he always plays the same, though i probably wouldn't believe you ;)

Some others, who i just want to mention quickly, but nonetheless deserve a place in this list:
Robert De Niro, Al Pacino, Dustin Hoffman, Peter Sellers....and some others i forgot right now :rolleyes:

As for still working:

Bill Murray - for me he is in the same category as Jack Lemmon or James Stewart, he can do anything and is always brilliant, he also belongs in the category of greatest actors of all time!

Johnny Depp - forget his rather average performance in "Pirates of the....", watch "Dead Man", "Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas" or "Ed Wood" instead!

Russell Crowe - maybe a jackass in real life, but an extremely versatile and talented actor, don't know if he will be on a list of greatest of all time, but definitely one of the best currently working actors, just watch "Romper Stomper", "L.A. Confidential", "The Insider" or "Gladiator", hell he even was good in "Proof of Life"!

Joaquin Phoenix - just watch any movie with him you want and he always delivers a great performance, okay the movies aren't always great, but he is!

Woody Harrelson - such a brilliant actor and so extremely overlooked and forgotten from the public, it's a shame, he is an amazingly talented guy, just watch his performances in "White Men Can't Jump", "Natural Born Killers", "Larry Flint" or "The Thin Red Line"!

John Turturro - an amazingly versatile actor, in fact he is so good, that you often don't even realize it's him, you only see the character he portrays!

John Goodman - heavily ;) depends on the movies you watch, but he can be an extremely powerful and intense actor!

Some other, who i just want to mention quickly, which doesn't mean that they are less talented tough, but i'm just terrible tired right now and i need sleep :p
Steve Buscemi, Jeff Bridges, Elias Koteas, Edward Norton, Robert Downy Jr., Jim Carrey, Kevin Spacey, Denzel Washington, Sean Penn, Nick Nolte, Bruce Willis and Harvey Keitel

Jack Nicholson
Marlon Brando
John Torturro
Johnny Depp
Alan Rickman
Gary Oldman
Al Pacino
Robert De Niro
Matti Pallonpaa
Steve Buscemi
Harvey Keitel

Just a few good actors i could think of at the moment. Too bad so many of them are only playing the same role over and over.

Well, in that case, Eli Wallach, a jew from Brooklyn playing a Mexican in Spain. . . . I wouldn't calll that good acting.

Yo, bobby, what's good acting anyway?

Back