• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

What age is the most important?

Motokid

In your most humble opinion, what age would you say is the most important for fostering the love of reading?

I once read that by the age of 5 your entire personality has been formed.

Are those of you that read passionately coming from a childhood filled with books, and parents that read to you every night?

I find it hard to believe that real book lovers were babysat by the television and then somehow evolved into loving the writen word by chance.

Sure you may not have discovered reading until you were older, but was the foundation poured in the earliest of years?

Is there a common thread amoung those of you who read for the shear fun of it?

Motokid said:
I once read that by the age of 5 your entire personality has been formed.
I think that's bullshit. A personality is a work in progress, nothing static.

my parents never read to me, but they always keeped an interesting batch of books, and i always readed as a kid, dropped it when got into junior high, and then started reading again when 16 or 17 and havent stop since.
kids are curious by nature, my advise its to give them a good enciclopedia so they can look out everything they want to know, and there are some good enciclopedias for kids which besides the tipical content, includes fairytales and fabbles (speling?), abriged classics, and even light language courses, i use to have one like that when a kid.

I think that's a really good idea!

Introduce them to books, read to them when young, and buy books as gifts. Although, when all is said and done, you cannot "make" a child a reader. They will be or they won't and all you can do is give them the option and foster the seed of reading if it exists.

My parents read to me for a while, but I remember them saying no more often than not. I was 8 or 9 when I finally learned how to read in English. I started reading like a maniac in 8th grade when I switched schools and had a hard time making new friends.

It wasn't because of my parents as much as my classmates who inadvertantly got me hooked.

ooofffaaa

This is leading down a dangerous road.

In 4 replies one of you picks one sentence I wrote, and responds with profanity...

...one of you makes me look like a genius when it comes to spelling and grammer...

...and one of you admits to becoming intersted in books because they couldn't fit in socially with other people.

Maybe I should rethink my postion on hoping my children grow a love for reading...???? :confused:

That's what its all about. Reading a lot of books means being a freak/ geek/ loner. There arn't a lot of peolpe out there who read a great deal of books, that's the reason we are all here. To find guys to talk about the books we read.
By the way try to ingnore cranky comments from members. We all have good and bad days. Thats probably nothing personal.
Considering grammar and spelling => Not all of us are from English-speaking countries. So please stop to nitpick.

Personally I'm quite sure that it doesn't matter if you get in contact with books at an early age. Either your a reader or not. My siblings and me got some books in our childhood (we wern't really encouraged) but the only one who turned out to be a reader was me. Actually if I would have followed my parents wishes I wouldn't touch a book with a ten-foot-pole (they kind of thought it unhealthy to read books instead of playing outside with friends).

I feel that those who are introduced to reading early on in life do tend to keep it up. As a young child I had an enormous number of books, even when I was too young to read the words I knew some stories off by heart (nothing complicated - mainly Disney books ;) ), but then my parents read to me every night. Phil's neice also loves reading and was introduced to it at a very early age.

However, my sister is the opposite - the last time she picked up a book was about three years ago and then that was only something she bought to take on holiday with her (I think she read the first page and didn't bother with it again). She is 5 years younger than me and always found other things to keep her occupied (tv and games consoles come to mind) rather than reading.

Motokid said:
This is leading down a dangerous road.

In 4 replies one of you picks one sentence I wrote, and responds with profanity...

...one of you makes me look like a genius when it comes to spelling and grammer...

...and one of you admits to becoming intersted in books because they couldn't fit in socially with other people.

Maybe I should rethink my postion on hoping my children grow a love for reading...???? :confused:

And your point is what? Maybe you should have read books on the art of manners and art of conversation.

I agree entirely. Motokid, your rudeness was un-necessary. As Gizmo pointed out, not everyone who posts here has English as their first language.

Sorry, I don't agree with you :)

What lies said was
I think that's bullshit. A personality is a work in progress, nothing static

A) He was referring to the idea of children's personality being formed by the age of 5 and B) He said "THINK" why do you see that as rude? It's stating an opinion isn't it? Why is it rude? Because he used the word bullshit? What if he used the word crap? or poo? Is it rude then?

No where did he insult the poster or his ideas. I simply fail to see why you consider that rude?

It was my interpretation of Lies' reply that he was referring to the idea quoted by Motokid as being "bullshit", whereas what Motokid said was more of a personal attack on one poster's spelling and grammar.

simple point

My point is simple. What makes, or creates a passionate reader? Is there a common thread in those of you that read a lot. So far I don't see one.

For people who supposedly love the written form of communication I do expect more. I understand spelling mistakes, and grammer mistakes to a point. I don't expect to see huge numbers, in a few sentences from people who supposedly worship the written form. I also did not expect someone to jump on a simple thought with such force. There are plenty of examples to back up the notion that your basic personality is formed by a very early age. Of coarse you fine tune it for life, but the raw basics are there very early in life. There are always exceptions to the rule, but I'm talking in general. Child molesters are almost always victims of the same crime themselves when they were young. Alcoholics usually come from a household where the parents drank a lot. Catholics are usually born and raised catholic.

And my statement about maybe re-considering my wishes for my kids to be passionate readers based on 3 out of the 4 first replys needs no more explaining if you just read the replys for what they are. Do you want your kid to become a person who has problems making friends, uses profanity at the drop of a hat, and miss-spells, and miss-uses lots their words when writting?

I understand that passionate readers are not the norm. I just asked a simple question to make people think. Strike up a dialog. What made you into a passionate reader?

This is a discussion forum. There are no right and wrong answers. Just opinions.

apologies to Mr Michel

I do indeed apologize to Mr Michel.

I went to his web page and found it in another language. It's quite possible he's using translator software, or maybe not. I jumped to a conclusion and I take full blame. I am sorry.

My Bad.

i'm not sure but i think mr michel was trying to be humerous, on other threads his spelling and vocabulary are great and he has been cheeky before. also his profile indicates in his occupation that he is the great lion of god, keeper of the knowledge, alpha male, global dominator and a bad influence. how could he be all those things AND a bad speller.
as to the topic, imo the earlier you are introduced to books the better. that being said my sister and i were both raised in a reading household, yet she never really developped a taste for it until she was older, whereas i devoured books from an early age. nurture vs. nature?
what i disagree with is that readers are "geeks" or viewed as such. i've never thought of myself that way, but maybe i need to poll my friends.

Motokid said:
My point is simple. What makes, or creates a passionate reader? Is there a common thread in those of you that read a lot. So far I don't see one.

For people who supposedly love the written form of communication I do expect more. I understand spelling mistakes, and grammer mistakes to a point. I don't expect to see huge numbers, in a few sentences from people who supposedly worship the written form. I also did not expect someone to jump on a simple thought with such force. There are plenty of examples to back up the notion that your basic personality is formed by a very early age. Of coarse you fine tune it for life, but the raw basics are there very early in life. There are always exceptions to the rule, but I'm talking in general. Child molesters are almost always victims of the same crime themselves when they were young. Alcoholics usually come from a household where the parents drank a lot. Catholics are usually born and raised catholic.

And my statement about maybe re-considering my wishes for my kids to be passionate readers based on 3 out of the 4 first replys needs no more explaining if you just read the replys for what they are. Do you want your kid to become a person who has problems making friends, uses profanity at the drop of a hat, and miss-spells, and miss-uses lots their words when writting?

I understand that passionate readers are not the norm. I just asked a simple question to make people think. Strike up a dialog. What made you into a passionate reader?

This is a discussion forum. There are no right and wrong answers. Just opinions.

ok. i think the common thread for passionate readers is stories. everyone, and i mean everyone loves a good story. some people have trouble reading, for whatever reason, be it mental, physical, social, time....my husband hates to read, but loves being read to.

i think the dangerous ground you are on is in making such huge generalizations about people. i suck at spelling. i am atrocious. i have websters on my desktop and check it constantly, and still i make mistakes. does it mean i am not passionate? maybe some are dyslexic(sp?) does it make them less a reader. :rolleyes:
i'm not going to go through everything that you wrote and take apart bit by bit, but just keep in mind you are on an international forum with people from all walks of life. open those cans of worms, i applaud you, but be prepared for some who take offence or disagree.
and do you really think that your kid is going to be a loner, or swear or be the spelling bee loser because he/she reads? :) of course you don't.

love worms

I live to open cans of worms. I love playing devil's advocate.

I can't spell very well either. That's what makes spell checkers so great. I use them all the time.

I also love a good point/counter point. Some of the greatest conversations are had by those of differing opinions. If we all thought the same it would be a pretty boring place to live.

I love stirring up the pot. I can take it.

Motokid, that's a interesting question you ask. I think I am (to some degree) the odd one out in this case. My parents never encouraged reading nor did they read me bedtime stories when I was still a wee boy (always wanted to say that). To make a long story short, I had hardly read any book until I was 20 - I haven't looked back since.

Oh, and Motokid, you misspelled 'of course' in an earlier post - I find this unacceptable from someone who proclaims to have a deeply rooted love for the written word and whose first language is English. ;)

I am, of course, kidding.

Cheers

I'm not quite sure what Motokid is getting at with the can of worms... but..

As a child I was never really encouraged to read. I came across some books that I fell in love with on my own when I was in primary school and I really got myself started. It was mainly borrowing from the public and school library that started me reading more. Now I usually buy my books rather than borrow from school (for starters I'm scared of my new school's library :eek: ).

I suspect that one's relationship with books and literature will in large part be, as you assess, significantly colored by ones childhood. The domestic situation you grow up is bound to shape your personality, so if you're used to being around books, and people who both read regularly, and who also read for you to let you discover the charms within, you'd be more likely to have a "natural" relationship with them later on in life.
My parents have told me that they made a point out of trying to get me and my two older siblings into reading at an early age, and this was something they mainly did through reading to us as children, and generally encouraging us to read, by recommending novels and so forth. It didn't hurt that they were both very enthusiastic about literature, and would often make small, interesting sidelines into novels while conversing on various subjects.
In our case, the result was that my brother and I have both become voracious readers, while my sister hasn't. She still reads the odd book now and then, and takes great pleasure in it, but it's just not what she wishes to focus on.

It should be noted that none of us were ever pushed into books in any ways, so my parents only really led us to the doorway, gave us some peeks at what was inside, and let us decide whether we were interested or not, without passing any judgement.

As I live in Norway, there's naturally going to be a different milieu in general from what others here think of as the norm, but generally speaking, I think most people are fairly positively inclined towards reading. They just aren't interested enough to do it very often, usually citing a lack of free time. Fair enough, really, as while I think reading can give you greater perspective and has been a great joy in my life, I don't expect everyone to get as much out of it. Different strokes and all that.
Most of the people I know who rarely - if ever - read, tend to also have grown up in bookless homes, only really being introduced to literature through school, which, in my opinion, unfortunately doesn't seem to work well in most cases. Even I was very negative towards reading novels at school, partly because I disliked the chosen literature, and undoubtedly also because I was generally negatively inclined towards anything the school wanted me to do.
I know plenty of people who recall how much they hated reading in school, when they're discussing why they never read novels.

This doesn't really answer your first question, but I guess I don't think there's any set age, but that it certainly won't hurt to show enthusiasm about it through your child's life. I find that my father's enthusiastim over books he read rubbed off on me and made me want to experience these things myself.

Sorry about the noisiness of this post; I seem to have caught a whiff of logorrhea today.

Back