• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

What age is the most important?

to be honest, the question you pointed out, motokid, is quiet interesting, makes me thinking, but this crap about spelling and grammer is just unimportant!! who cares how you spell stuff, when that what you have to say is awsome??
but back to the topic!! my parents always read to me and my sis, but i'm the one who became in the end the freak!! my sis was always playing and outside and i was in my room, reading!! so i don't think that it has not much to do with the fact, if your parents favor reading or TV, i just think that the people with a good imagination and the love for a great story become readers!
have a nice day

Motokid said:
...one of you makes me look like a genius when it comes to spelling and grammer...

oh, thats so kind of you, glad you are having fun.
(oh by the way its grammar, not grammer)

Motokid said:
Do you want your kid to become a person who ... and miss-spells, and miss-uses lots their words when writting?

i guess not, especially if he is talking his native language.

Motokid said:
For people who supposedly love the written form of communication I do expect more.

Strike up a dialog. What made you into a passionate reader?

This is a discussion forum. There are no right and wrong answers. Just opinions.

so its my opinion that somebody who loves the written form of communication should be capable of read content over grammar and spelling, instead of discarding an honest advice just for being bad spelled.

Motokid said:
I do indeed apologize to Mr Michel.

I went to his web page and found it in another language. It's quite possible he's using translator software, or maybe not. I jumped to a conclusion and I take full blame. I am sorry.

My Bad.

apology accepted.
i just ask you to focus in the content of the posts in the future.

Motokid said:
This is leading down a dangerous road.

In 4 replies one of you picks one sentence I wrote, and responds with profanity...

...one of you makes me look like a genius when it comes to spelling and grammer...

...and one of you admits to becoming intersted in books because they couldn't fit in socially with other people.

Maybe I should rethink my postion on hoping my children grow a love for reading...???? :confused:

Ok, here's one to cheer you up. I lost myself in books as a child because it was an escape from parental abuse. I brought my eldest daughter up reading to her every night and she had a bookshelf that any school library would have been proud of. She's now a heroin addicted prostitute. What does that tell you about books?

It tells me that you're probably a liar (or a very bad teller of jokes (or someone who's had it very, very rough)).

Cheers

jenngorham said:
i'm not sure but i think mr michel was trying to be humerous, on other threads his spelling and vocabulary are great and he has been cheeky before.

although i feel flattered by your opinion i dont believe i been too cheeky about it.
i brought the issue of my spelling and grammar in the very first post of my introduction thread and if you been checking my posts, you might had notice i keep asking for corrections or advise on my spelling (just like in my first post in this thread), so if somebody wish to correct me (instead of just criticize me), i'll gladly accept such corrections.

:D
besides being the great lion of good doesnt necesarily means to be omniscient or that i should be bothered about spelling and grammar :D :p

Martin said:
It tells me that you're probably a liar (or a very bad teller of jokes (or someone who's had it very, very rough)).

Cheers

As I was just saying to the inestimable Ms Wilde (but not on this forum) anyone who knows me knows that I don't lie. They also know that I use humour because it's better to laugh than to lose oneself in the horror that is real life.

On the other hand ny pants could be on fire.

ps Irene say's you're a moron.

interesting

The dynamic of this forum is very interesting.
Not what I expected at all.

That's what's so great about all this. There's no way to know what the intent of the author is, and no way for the author to know how his word will be interpreted.

I am in no way judging anybody, or attacking people about spelling and grammar. That would be far more hypocritical of me than any of you could ever know.

I just asked a question, and then made observations based on the face value of the text that followed. Don't read too much into my statements or questions. After all...I am a newbie.... :D

As for answering my own question(staying on topic). I believe that the more books you can read to a child, and the earlier you can start, the better off you'll all be in the long run. That's why I have questions in the "children's fiction" forum about picture books and a sub-catagory that needs to be created.

Motokid said:
The dynamic of this forum is very interesting. Not what I expected at all.
<snip>
I just asked a question, and then made observations based on the face value of the text that followed. Don't read too much into my statements or questions. After all...I am a newbie.... :D
It's rather like being dumped into a party where you don't know anybody, isn't it? ;)

You try starting a conversation and people look at you like you're from Mars. Anyways, if you hang around awhile, you'll get the hang of the 'dynamics' -- learn the wabbits from the **ses - not that we have any, mind you (except Phil t, who's really a pussycat!).

At any rate, all the flack you're getting is based on you making assumptions about people based on one or two sentences. A little tolerance of opinions without being judgemental of the person making them would go a long way. *off my soapbox now*

I believe that the more books you can read to a child, and the earlier you can start, the better off you'll all be in the long run.
I'm sure it helps and surely can't hurt, but I don't think it's the sole determining factor in producing avid readers.

I was never read to as a child, but books were given to me as gifts and I more or less taught myself to read by the time I entered school.

I read to my 2 sons from a young age and they've become decent readers; one is a voracious reader, the other average in comparison. My 2 nephews were, likewise, read-to every night. Neither of them became readers and you might even call them weak readers. I have friends who swear they read to their children equally; one became a reader, the other didn't. So who knows for sure?

Wow, so much has happened to to this thread since I posted before work. Reading some of those replies is making my bohemian temper flare, but I'll try to keep it under control.

Motokid said:
And my statement about maybe re-considering my wishes for my kids to be passionate readers based on 3 out of the 4 first replys needs no more explaining if you just read the replys for what they are. Do you want your kid to become a person who has problems making friends, uses profanity at the drop of a hat, and miss-spells, and miss-uses lots their words when writting?

I think enough has been said about Lies and Mr. Michel's posts already, but I do feel the need to defend myself here. What I said was:

I started reading like a maniac in 8th grade when I switched schools and had a hard time making new friends.

If you've ever switched grade schools, which I've done several times, you'd know how hard it is to try to enter established cliques, and you would know how cruel children can be! Anyone who knows me now, or even knew me in high school would scoff at your deduction that I can't "fit in socially with other people". In 8th grade it was damn hard, but that wasn't due to any fault of mine or social lacking.

So, once again?

Motokid said:
Do you want your kid to become a person who has problems making friends, uses profanity at the drop of a hat, and miss-spells, and miss-uses lots their words when writting?

Trust me honey, if indeed any of us deserve these censures, you can be certain that they didn't come from our reading habits. But in case you aren't convinced, you might also want to add "incorrectly judging people you've never met based on one comment and deciding they aren't good enough for your children" to your list!

Ell said:
It's rather like being dumped into a party where you don't know anybody, isn't it? ;)

You try starting a conversation and people look at you like you're from Mars. Anyways, if you hang around awhile, you'll get the hang of the 'dynamics' -- learn the wabbits from the **ses - not that we have any, mind you (except Phil t, who's really a pussycat!).

Of course whilst totally denying being a pussy-cat (erm ... <bares fangs> .. see, I'm evil to the core me) I have to agree, you should come into a strange place more cautiously, and perhaps get a feel for the membership before launching an attack on them.

That being said, welcome to the forum, and I'll get on and reply to your question now :D

I am the only one of three children who reallys reads very much, my sisters both read a little, but probably have more DVD movies than they do books. I'm not saying they are at fault in this, my parents brought us all up to appreciate books and I guess I'm the only one who really took reading to my heart. I think having a partner who also likes to read is a great boon, because it encourages you to read as opposed to say, sitting in front of the Television of a night.

If and when we ever have any kids, I'll try to make sure they come to love reading as much as I do :)

*Resisting all the temptations to go off topic*
I can't really recal my parents ever reading a book and I hated reading books all through school. I only started reading after I moved away from home and wanted to do something else than watching tv and playing computer when I was home alone.

I'm with Mr Michel - encyclopedias for the kids. When I was young, my dad bought a set of Childcraft books, sort of like mini encyclopedias for kids. I don't think I was an overly curious child, but those books were very very good - I remember I re-read the Space And Planets, Animals, and Mathemagic volumes many times, while I stayed away from stuff like Cultures and Earth.

It allows the child to explore subjects that he/she is interested in, providing the child avenues to seek out further materials based on their favoured subjects. With luck, this sets early reading habits as well.

Oh, and my mom used to tell me how Enid Blyton is the greatest storyteller of all and how she grew up reading them and that I should too. But I can tell you I don't really like Enid Blyton. :D

ds

This post will contain some naughty words.

Wabbit: thank you, kind sir, for coming to my aid. I'll remember you in my prayers, though I will make fun of you in future for failing to recognize someone's sex. (Yes, even if it's only online.)

Motokid: You said that you had read that "by the age of 5 your entire personality has been formed", and I happened to disagree. Later you said that "there are plenty of examples to back up the notion that your basic personality is formed by a very early age", which I think is a more accurate statement, one I can agree with.

But, as you must know, people tend to disagree rather a lot in discussions. I'm sorry if my choice of words offended you, but I feel rather silly going through life saying "I believe that statement is incorrect." I prefer a more casual tone, really. And yes, my vocabulary might be a bit more limited than that of your ordinary Englishmen, so if I happen to think of a word that fits the context, I jump on it. I'd be more than happy to have this discussion in Dutch, as translation sometimes seems to sabotage your words, but as this is an English forum, I have to abide by the rules.

Now, let me explain my earlier post.

The way I see it, there are different stages in a reader's life. There's the toddler that loves listening to stories, there's the child that loves reading children's books, there's the young adult that devours teen novels and there's the adult reader.

I don't think all these stages are necessarily linked. A toddler will not always make the leap from listening to reading, a young adult will not always make the transfer from young adult to adult reading. (My brother is a good example in this context; as an early teen he developed an interest in opening up computers and he pretty much gave up on reading fiction.) I've known a lot of people that, at some point in their lives, just stopped reading, while they were book worms at first. (In fact, I myself fit this description up to a certain point. Where I used to read up to fifteen books a month during high school, I now find myself seriously lacking in the time department, and I consider myself lucky if I get around to finishing one book a month these days.)

The opposite can be true also. If you look at some of the introductory posts on the Book Forum, you will see that some people (both teens and adults) come here asking for advice on which books to read next. Since they've never really been fiction buffs, they don't know where to look first.

And as far as encouraging children to read goes... The moment you try to force something on them, you know you're going about it the wrong way. Let them decide for themselves, don't push them into something they don't want to be pushed into. It'll just put them off things forever. If you bring home books for them and they can't wait to open them and read, by all means, go ahead and get them more stuff. However, if the books are just lying around there and you have to draw their attention to it days after you gave it to them, don't bother. They'll either grow into it all by themselves later on, or they won't. That's up to them.

love it

Let me start by saying this:

I am in no way put off, disgruntled, disgusted, dismayed, or in any way offended by anything I have read here. In fact, I have not spent so much time checking on a forum, and responces ever in my life. I find it all really great fun, and a new found entertainment.

I don't give a flying rat shit what language anybody uses, or how they spell words, or how they use words. My questions, and observations were designed entirely to get people to reply. And it has worked pretty well so far.
A forum is for discussion. Without replies all you end up with is a speech, and who lkes those?

It's as I figured, and as common sence clearly shows. There is no common thread, no formula, no means or path you can guide a child down to turn them into avid readers. It might be something that's preprogrammed into the DNA and may, or may not get switched on at any time during life. The bottom line is, you can't force a child to have a passion for something.

All you can do is hold the door open for them in case they decide, on their own, to go through it. The sooner you open the door, the more opportunities they have to stick their head in and see if it's a place they'd like to go.

I'm 20 years old and I love to read. I may not be correct but I like to think (and so does my mother) that my love of reading stems from the fact that my mom read to me from the time I was an infant and she started buying me books when I was a toddler(not that I could read them of course) Then as I grew older we would make frequent trips to the library and to the bookstore as a treat. Basically I was encouraged from the time I was very small to read and ENJOY it. I do think that she was the one that taught me to love stories-but then how do I know for sure? Sorry for running on like this :eek:

Back