• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

What are you reading - March/April?

Dawn

kickbox
I closed the thread "What's your current read" because it was becoming long and, quite frankly, not current anymore.

So...what are you reading now?

I'm reading The DaVinci Code by Dan Brown.

I just finished A Girl Named Zippy and am currently reading Rex Stout's Before Midnight (for like the 6th time) and I Thought My Father Was God edited by Paul Auster.

Originally posted by fluffyfluff
Lies, when did that come out? I remember reading all her books about 10 years ago. Loved them but never saw the 5th in stores.
I think it came out in 2002 (might have been 2001, but in Belgium it was 2002). It's called The Shelters of Stone, and frankly, it wasn't really worth it. The version I read came in 840 pages, and that was just too much for the story. Too much repetition, too much of the same thing. I really think she shouldn't have written this one. On the other hand, I kinda knew what I was in for, but I felt the need to have read the entire thing, even though --in my opinion-- none of the sequels were as good as The Clan of the Cave Bear.

Speaking of which: has anyone seen the movie they made out of that book? They gave it on the BBC a couple of years ago, but I forgot to tape it.

I'm reading "The Galactic Gourmet" by James White. I am now interested in reading all the Sector General books.

~Witch

Just finished "The Bonfire of the Vanities" A rollercoaster of a book:p Does Tom Wolfe have anything else that`s as good? Just getting into "Samurai William". It's the true story behind James Clavell`s "Shogun". It`s mostly from the European point of view, and nowhere as fun as Clavell`s fictional account. It`s worth a read, though. I`ve heard a lot about "Clan of the Cave Bear", and will have to check it out. Dan-ooo

Thank you, Lies :D

I saw Clan of the Cave Bears and don't waste your time.
In my opinion, it was not suited for screen adaptaion.

I am still reading Battlefield Earth by L. Ron Hubbard. It is so good. One of the better Sci/Fi books I've read in a long time. I like how Hubbard does not weigh it down with character descriptions and lose the reader's interest. And I really hate Terl. I haven't hated a character so much since Uriah Heep of David Copperfield. LOL.

Originally posted by fluffyfluff
I saw Clan of the Cave Bears and don't waste your time.
In my opinion, it was not suited for screen adaptaion.

Thanks, I'll keep that in mind. I can understand how the writer would have problems adapting it for the screen. I don't think it's the most adaptable story ever written. :)

Anything as good?

Originally posted by froggerz40
Just finished "The Bonfire of the Vanities" A rollercoaster of a book:p Does Tom Wolfe have anything else that`s as good? Just getting into "Samurai William". It's the true story behind James Clavell`s "Shogun". It`s mostly from the European point of view, and nowhere as fun as Clavell`s fictional account. It`s worth a read, though. I`ve heard a lot about "Clan of the Cave Bear", and will have to check it out. Dan-ooo

A Man in Full, by Tom Wolfe was a compelling read. Got depressing for me so I stopped reading. Actually I thought Bonfire wasn't as good, when I glanced at it.

March and April

I'm reading An Hour Before Daylight by Jimmy Carter (an autobiography of his childhood), and Selected Poetry of Ogden Nash (silly poetry). Soon I'm gonna start The Bourne Identity by Robert Ludlum, a mystery.

Starting Spadework by Timothy Findley. It's the May read for Canadian Readers.

Also starting Bel Canto by Ann Patchett.

It's a toss-up which one will get most of my attention! :D

I'm (very) briefly between books, having just finished Ngaio Marsh's Spinsters in Jeopardy and about to start Barry Reed's The Choice.

Jean Auel's 'The Shelters of Stone'

Lies, I felt the same way about 'The Shelters of Stone'! I pre-ordered the book and was so disappointed in it that it's now shelved and gathering dust. I could only get through the part where she actually met Jondalar's 'teacher' and his family.

When Diana Gabaldon's 'Fiery Cross' came out it was the same feeling...pre-ordered it because her book series, 'The Outlander' et al was so engrossing...couldn't wait to get it...and now I'm trying, for the second time, to stumble through it. The other books in her series I just couldn't put down.

Disappointing... :(

I bought a new (to me) Heinlein, "Time Enough for Love," and the first of Terry Brooks Shanarra series--its a tome, I'm telling you--I'll start one of them soon. And I'm currently reading
Bonhoeffer's "The Cost of Discipleship," which has so far proved to be the most challenging.

Back