• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

What are your next few book purchases going to be?

Probably only Nabokov for a while to come.

Why? Because of the forum and because I like him. And also because I have bought so many books recently that I have to stop for a while. :(
Peder

I'm about to start Crime and Punishment, so I'll be busy for awhile. I plan on going on a John Steinbeck & H.P. Lovecraft buying spree as soon as I'm done with Dostoyevsky.

I think I have all the Nabokov available at present, so unless a new research tool comes along that I want and can afford thats it for me.
I have a few Steinbeck coming down the pipe, but thats about it. Well.....maybe a few more, :D but I am going to have to take Amazon out of my Favorites! :rolleyes: :eek:

As to why, well, I've got to keep up with you guys! :D :cool:

I've ordered Lamb by Christopher Moore (there were no copies in NZ, so it will take about 3 weeks to get here) because I've heard a lot of good things about it, and I like the concept of it. I also think that I will be buying more Atwood (I want to try and complete my collection of her works). Middlesex, I, Claudius and The Poisonwood Bible are also high up on the list.

For me it'll most likely be anything I find in second hand shops which are on my very long list. High up on my priority list are anything Atwood or Nabokov (as I've yet to read any of their works but have wanted to for a while), anything by Iain Banks, and any of Anne Rice's vampire books that I don't already have. Individual books I'm keeping an eye out for: Geisha by Liza Dalby, Firesong by William Nicholson, The Bell Jar by Sylvia Plath, and Mort by Terry Pratchett. Among many others. :)

Well, I'd like to get Colleen Shannon's Catspell, Stephen King's Wolves of the Calla now that it is in paperback... actually that's all I can think of for the moment besides updating my graphic novels collections.

Peder said:
Probably only Nabokov for a while to come.

Why? Because of the forum and because I like him. And also because I have bought so many books recently that I have to stop for a while. :(
Peder
What book of his would you recommend as an introduction for someone who's never read him, but is interested in doing so?

Fantasy Moon said:
What book of his would you recommend as an introduction for someone who's never read him, but is interested in doing so?
Although the question wasn't directed at me, I'll add my tuppence anyway. For a short, enjoyable read, Pnin, or for a longer, more enticing, more popular read, Lolita.

steffee said:
Although the question wasn't directed at me, I'll add my tuppence anyway. For a short, enjoyable read, Pnin, or for a longer, more enticing read, more popular read, Lolita.
By all means, add away! Thank you! ^_^ I was considering Lolita actually. I seen the movie last year when I found it in the campus library, although the place didn't have the book. I'll get it through library loan.

tartan_skirt said:
For me it'll most likely be anything I find in second hand shops which are on my very long list. High up on my priority list are anything Atwood or Nabokov (as I've yet to read any of their works but have wanted to for a while), anything by Iain Banks, and any of Anne Rice's vampire books that I don't already have. Individual books I'm keeping an eye out for: Geisha by Liza Dalby, Firesong by William Nicholson, The Bell Jar by Sylvia Plath, and Mort by Terry Pratchett. Among many others. :)

I grab what I can second hand too. I'm hoping to get A Suitable Boy by Vikram Seth, on Stewart's mentioning it, Cabinet of Curiousities by Preston and Child, after my used bookshop owner mentioned it and The Avengers by Rich Cohen, after seeing it mentioned at another site.

Hah! Glad you put 'at the moment' as my reading list changes daily:eek:

Top of the list 'at the moment' are:

Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell by Susanna Clarke - thought it would be an interesting and possibly intriquing read.

The Last Templar by Raymond Khoury - again another intriquing idea. Plus if memory serves me right, the author takes you into the past which is something I'm interested in too. I'm really an archeologist in disguise (oh how I wish;) ).

The Sacred Cut by David Hewson - sounded interesting (sorry beginning to sound repetitious here). Plus I love a good mystery.

Labyrinth by Kate Mosse - er, can I get away with 'sounds interesting' again:eek:

Probably Rabbit is Rich and Rabbit at Rest by John Updike.

I just finished Rabbit, Run and I'm about to start into Rabbit Redux. It is so exciting that although these books were written over such a long period of time I get to read them all at once.

Rabbit, Run really sucked me in, and Updike's prose is really fascinating. I keep reading sentences over because they are written differently from other authors'. I can't read his writing too quickly because of this, but I certainly can't put him down. I hope the remaining three don't let me down. That's a bizarre statement for me to make, though, as the first book left me moody and depressed. The saddest parts really took my breath.

Velocity by Dean Koontz

Book of the Dead by Douglas Preston and Lincoln Child\

The Brothers Karamazov by Fyodor Dostyoveski

Crime and Punishment by Fyodor Dostyoveski

Yeah, that's right! it's good. Both versions are good, but that one was the best, I reckon. In that case, definitely go for Lolita first. Just don't look at the 150 page discussion on it before you start to read it ;)

Yeah, discussion things would be too overwhelming!

*sighs* So many books to read and write reviews on for my last semester of college! I might have to put Lolita back for later reading or use it as incentive to get these assignments done early. ;)

Back