• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

What book should be REQUIRED reading for everyone?

jay said:
But based solely on the fact, and reading damn near every review and commentary on this sight (as always, there are exceptions), that people clearly need to be taught what is bad writing/storytelling.
There seems to be some biological trigger missing in this regard.
Yes, many parents scold a baby for putting everything in sight into their mouth. But overall, without such a vocal deterrent, more than likely baby will comprehend “hmm, wood/cigarette butts/you-name-it doesn’t taste good.”
Apparently the developing mind still can not differentiate between –for example- a good metaphor and an appalling one.

People simply do not know what “bad” is.
And therefore how can one really think something is “good”?

Altough this is a good idea in concept, the problem is that what is "bad" and what is "good" absolutely depends on who is viewing the work. The author obviously thought it was good otherwise they would not have put it in, while others may think it is the biggest load of rubbish that they had ever seen. I think that we are better left alone to judge ourselves weither we think that a story was good or bad, because it leads to interesting debates and/or discussions. If it was hammered into us at an early age what we had to think was either "good" or "bad" then every one of us would think the same books good and likewise the same books bad.

jay said:
I’m sure everyone here would hope that their significant other “loves” or likes them because of certain aspects. Those aspects, be it simply physical, are established in contrast to others.
There is no beauty is there isn’t ugly.

Very good point.

MonkeyCatcher said:
Altough this is a good idea in concept, the problem is that what is "bad" and what is "good" absolutely depends on who is viewing the work.

I couldn’t disagree more. Which is why I wrote my thoughts on this.
When it comes to the fundamentals, there *are* basic structures and formulas, in this case, a writer really must adhere to.
Of course there are always things (mistakes) that are palatable, but ti takes a skill to pull this off. I don’t know of anyone that woulnd’t call Chandler’s _The Big Sleep_ a wonderful novel. And the fact that he left a mild plot line open –who killed the chauffeur?- doesn’t diminish the work. Chandler himself forgot about the hole and later said himself that he didn’t know who killed the chauffer.

Once the rules are knows *then* the boundaries can be stretched. Look at the early painting of Picasso – the man could clearly paint “normal” (for lack of a better word).

MonkeyCatcher said:
The author obviously thought it was good otherwise they would not have put it in, while others may think it is the biggest load of rubbish that they had ever seen.

Not only the author but the editor(s) and the committee that decided to give the publication a “go”. And then, potentially, the reader.
This doesn’t make it right.
And this *exact* failing is more than likely the pillar stone to some much utter shit being not only published but consumed by the masses and the complete lack of awareness to a he amount of editors in the field.
(very, very rarely do I not encounter a first edition book without a handful of errors in it)

I think that we are better left alone to judge ourselves weither we think that a story was good or bad

Well, we’re talking about education. On that theory we might as well change it to leaving the kids alone and they can learn biology and math on their own too. Certainly religion. I agree about that.
And if we’re talking about past-schooling. I think it couldn’t be more than evident, be it books or politics, that even many adults have no clear concept of what is “good” and “bad”.

because it leads to interesting debates and/or discussions.

Aside from a few brief moments of hope, I’m very much waiting for some discussion and debate on this forum.

If it was hammered into us at an early age what we had to think was either "good" or "bad" then every one of us would think the same books good and likewise the same books bad.

I don’t recommend using metallic tools to teach people, but *pointing things out* would, in my opinion, only create more critical readers. i.e. readers who KNOW what “good” and “bad” are and can still resolve a thought and *informed* opinion around that.
Giving, say, _The Lovely Bones_, a fundamentally flawed book on many levels a, say ‘10 out of 10’ would never hold merit in such a system without and asterisk at least.

This would *not* mean the death of “The Guilty Pleasure”, it may even increase it. I’d imagine we all have some things we like in all fields that we like (or think are “good”) regardless of the actual achievement or quality or whatever.
But *knowing* what we like about it and what is flawed about it is a foundation to systematic and ideal thinking.
I think.

Cheers,
j

jay said:
Not only the author but the editor(s) and the committee that decided to give the publication a “go”. And then, potentially, the reader.
This doesn’t make it right.
And this *exact* failing is more than likely the pillar stone to some much utter shit being not only published but consumed by the masses and the complete lack of awareness to a he amount of editors in the field.
(very, very rarely do I not encounter a first edition book without a handful of errors in it)

But what is "right" varies widely from person to person. Something which you find to be not right is seen by other people to be perfectly acceptable. How do you define right and wrong when it comes to how a person writes, putting aside the blatently obvious rules to writing? And how can you make every single person see this when we all have different opinions on the same book, as seen if you go through this forum? Because as much as you may object, if you teach children what is "good" and what is "bad" from an early age then we will all find the same texts appealing as we all have the opinion of what is good and bad nailed into us from when we were kids.

jay said:
Well, we’re talking about education. On that theory we might as well change it to leaving the kids alone and they can learn biology and math on their own too

This is taking my theory far off track. Determining weither something is good or bad is all about /opinion/ not about applying known facts, such as in the case of biology and maths. Biology and maths have set applications, such as 1+1=2 or sperm + egg = zygote. People's opinions do not come into this equation at all, as this is always going to be the way it is. Teachers are able to teach children these subjects because there are set rules such as these, rules which cover the whole world of maths and biology. The quality of someones writing, however, is totally subjective and is therefore something that cannot be fully taught. You can be taught the fundamentals or writing, but I think that it is wrong to tell a child what is good and what is bad, as that totally disallows the children to develop their thoughts and opinions.

Jay, I would love for you to read my novel and pick it apart. You seem to love to do this with literature, which is great. Care to read and provide some comments?

MonkeyCatcher said:
And how can you make every single person see this when we all have different opinions on the same book, as seen if you go through this forum?

Sorry, maybe I didn’t make myself clear. I’m talking about the basics of writing.
What is proper foreshadowing versus what is failed foreshadowing.
Where are there elements of a story that are not needed and/or left open (see Chandler ref).
Stuff like that.

I’m not saying make mandates about “you must love this book!” but teach people how to describe WHY they don’t love a books.
Sorry, “Lenny’s a fuckin’ retard” isn’t gonna work.

I’m not looking for a Pod People approach to reading, far from it. (and if anything – looking through the forum, as you suggest, that _is_ what I see, so my proposal is to fight that).
Obviously a George Bush reading _Lord of the Flies_ will find an affiliation with Ralph, as he thinks he’s a gawd-touched, born-again leader. And he’ll probably think Piggy just needs a porking. Whereas the more shy class member(s) will probably strike more of an acquaintance with Piggy and see Ralph as something as a little tyrant.

As I just wrote on the ‘intel’ thread: it’s all in the perspective.

Because as much as you may object, if you teach children what is "good" and what is "bad" from an early age then we will all find the same texts appealing as we all have the opinion of what is good and bad nailed into us from when we were kids.

No, I really believe the opposite will be the case. To me, right now, people have little to know clue as to what the bloody hell “good writing” is.
Book sales show it, the lack of skill of editors (who are paid pretty damn well) and undoubtedly tons of posts herein show it.

This is taking my theory far off track. Determining weither something is good or bad is all about /opinion/ not about applying known facts

I, again, couldn’t disagree more.
Not only do I see it “on track” but it just passed Lance Armstrong.

You can be taught the fundamentals or writing,

There’s your “track”.
One can be taught the fundaments of biology and chemistry. And math.
Diverging from the course is fine (thank you Darwin, Newton, Joyce, Einstein, Feynman, Carver), but the basics just-simply-have-to-be-in-place. Even if that place is left behind.

but I think that it is wrong to tell a child what is good and what is bad, as that totally disallows the children to develop their thoughts and opinions.

If “this sucks!” and “I love it – I dunno why; I just do!” and “it’s a great book: go watch the movie!” (etc etc ad nauseum) are “thoughts and opinions” then –again- I couldn’t disagree more.

sirmyk said:
Jay, I would love for you to read my novel and pick it apart. You seem to love to do this with literature, which is great. Care to read and provide some comments?

ummmmmm. Sure. How long is it? Are nearing/at the final draft?

(there's a "I don't come cheap" joke in there somewhere but I really must get some work done...)

PM me and I'll give me email and you can send, what, a Word doc, yes?
j

jay said:
How long is it? Are nearing/at the final draft?

(there's a "I don't come cheap" joke in there somewhere but I really must get some work done...)

PM me and I'll give me email and you can send, what, a Word doc, yes?
It's in book form, either trade paperback or hardbound... 332 pages front to back. I just thought you might enjoy picking it apart for me. Sometimes torturous criticism is the best thing to improve one's writing.

jay said:
Sorry, maybe I didn’t make myself clear. I’m talking about the basics of writing.
What is proper foreshadowing versus what is failed foreshadowing.
Where are there elements of a story that are not needed and/or left open (see Chandler ref).
Stuff like that.
Ok, thank you for making yourself clear. I was under a totally different impression.

jay said:
No, I really believe the opposite will be the case. To me, right now, people have little to know clue as to what the bloody hell “good writing” is.
Book sales show it, the lack of skill of editors (who are paid pretty damn well) and undoubtedly tons of posts herein show it.
This is just your /opinion/ though. I personally enjoyed The Da Vinci Code and I also enjoy reading Harry Potter. Although I must admit that Dan Brown isn't the most amazing writer, I don't think J.K's writing is bad at all. I'm sure that you would disagree on this point, and this shows that we both have our seperate opinions on what is "good writing" and what is "bad writing". Therefore if you teach children what is good and bad from an early age, then all they are being taught is the opinion of whoever set the lesson.

jay said:
There’s your “track”.
One can be taught the fundaments of biology and chemistry. And math.
Diverging from the course is fine (thank you Darwin, Newton, Joyce, Einstein, Feynman, Carver), but the basics just-simply-have-to-be-in-place. Even if that place is left behind.
Those people did not "diverge from the course" at all. They did not use opinion in their findings. Einstein not did say "Well, IMO E=mcsquared", he knew it to be fact. He used the /facts/ placed down by learning the fundamentals to come up with his discovery. He could not have diverged from the course and still make his theory plausible, as that would have broken major physical "rules". He used /facts/.

jay said:
If “this sucks!” and “I love it – I dunno why; I just do!” and “it’s a great book: go watch the movie!” (etc etc ad nauseum) are “thoughts and opinions” then –again- I couldn’t disagree more.
Of course these are thoughts and opinions.. what else are they? They are stating their opinions, such as that the book "sucks" or that they "loved it". Please explain to me how this is /not/ an opinion.

i think every high school student, or just everyone in general, should read stargirl by jerry spinelli, it changed my life.

sirmyk said:
It's in book form, either trade paperback or hardbound... 332 pages front to back. I just thought you might enjoy picking it apart for me. Sometimes torturous criticism is the best thing to improve one's writing.

You want me to pick apart something already published?
I could, but it’s a bit ‘too late now’, dontcha think (if you were to agree with comments – if I even had any, thankfully not every book I read fills up pads of papers with curses and comments).
But really, if you feel it will help you by having me read you, I’m up for it. As it sounds like you’re already post-press what’s the ISBN, I’ll have the local shop order a copy (or tell me wear to buy one online).

MonkeyCatcher said:
This is just your /opinion/ though. I personally enjoyed The Da Vinci Code and I also enjoy reading Harry Potter.

And maybe if you were given a more in-depth look at what a working metaphor is like, how to close loose ends and how a disciplined writer follows a fairly tight structure you would be able to look at them differently. No offense meant. And enjoying and thinking it’s, like, “amazing” are two different things, of course.

_The da Vinci Code_ is immensely popular, but I’m sorry, it’s really a simple fact that it’s written poorly. Andy Warhol is known all over the world, admittedly, he’s not much a painter.
As for JKRolling, I’ve only flipped few the first few books (English and German) and it’s a bit rough to bust on someone for craft when their stated INTENDED audience is free of body hair.
And these two examples of being monumental successes with the older crowd are the pinnacle of my theory that people wouldn’t know “bad” writing if gave them a paper cut on the radial artery.

Therefore if you teach children what is good and bad from an early age, then all they are being taught is the opinion of whoever set the lesson.

I honestly can’t figure out a different way to word this other than what I’ve already written. I’ll think about it during non-work time.
But no, teaching what is bad and good is not brainwashing.
Its opens the mind even more.

Those people did not "diverge from the course" at all.

Oh my.
I can oh so total assure you that no scientist waked up one more and says, “I’ve got it. I’ve got a fact.”
Breaking the grounds of nearly anything is trail and error. And it probably takes years. Picasso didn’t wake up one morning and hit upon, say, Cubisim. He worked up to it, maybe tossed away ideas that would have lead somewhere else. Schoenberg, probably didn’t come up with his “12 tone system” right off the bat. He may have tried for 10 or 27. But all this is diverged from the basics. To get back to books, take a look at Joyce.
(for the sensitive that don’t think I either write enough or make my points sharp enough, this is *not* a history lesson, just some random notes jotted down)

Of course these are thoughts and opinions.. what else are they? They are stating their opinions, such as that the book "sucks" or that they "loved it". Please explain to me how this is /not/ an opinion.

Well, first off, I think you’re tripping over one of the biggest misconceptions going. Everyone is *not* entitled to an opinion.
Ok?
However, everyone *is* entitled to an INFORMED opinion.
Makes the world a we bit better of a place, no? For what _is_ the use of spouting off random nonsense.
I haven’t heard Stevie Wonder’s new album. If I tell you it “sucks” or its “good”, what’s the point?
And “opinion” is a *judgment*. Judgments are based on two or more things.
I like limes better than lemons, and I can tell you why.
If I like limes, “I dunno why, I just do!”, where is the judgment?
If one doesn’t know “good” writing from “bad”, the judgments may very well be flawed.
And of course, this is hardly just about books/writing…
j

jay said:
I can oh so total assure you that no scientist waked up one more and says, “I’ve got it. I’ve got a fact.”
Breaking the grounds of nearly anything is trail and error. And it probably takes years. Picasso didn’t wake up one morning and hit upon, say, Cubisim. He worked up to it, maybe tossed away ideas that would have lead somewhere else. Schoenberg, probably didn’t come up with his “12 tone system” right off the bat. He may have tried for 10 or 27. But all this is diverged from the basics. To get back to books, take a look at Joyce.
(for the sensitive that don’t think I either write enough or make my points sharp enough, this is *not* a history lesson, just some random notes jotted down)
Yes, I understand that new theories do not come about overnight, but they are not discovered by making up rules along the way which disregard all the rules in that area to date but are used anyway because they fit. They don't just say "Oh well, who cares about gravity? We'll just disregard that because in my opinion I don't think much of it anyway". They work upon known facts to get these new theories which is why it takes so long in the first place.. they have to constantly tweak their ideas in order to conform with the fundamentals of that certain area.

Oh and BTW, I don't think that you can enter someone like Picasso into a discussion like that because art has nothing to do with the likes of biology or maths. Art is totally subjective, just as writing is.

jay said:
Well, first off, I think you’re tripping over one of the biggest misconceptions going. Everyone is *not* entitled to an opinion.
I'm sorry.. I must have missed the bit where I stated that everyone was. I never said anything along these lines.. all I was saying is that that was an opinion. For someone who is big on making sure that people are correctly quoted then this is a major slip.

jay said:
And “opinion” is a *judgment*. Judgments are based on two or more things.
I like limes better than lemons, and I can tell you why.
If I like limes, “I dunno why, I just do!”, where is the judgment?
If one doesn’t know “good” writing from “bad”, the judgments may very well be flawed.
And of course, this is hardly just about books/writing…
j
Saying you like limes is most definately an opinion, and if you find no judgement that makes that opinion then your statement that opinions are judgements is flawed. Simple as that.

MonkeyCatcher said:
Yes, I understand that new theories do not come about overnight, but they are not discovered by making up rules along the way which disregard all the rules in that area to date but are used anyway because they fit.

First of all, they *very* well may.
But I didn’t say “disregard”. That’s very different than divergence.
Divergence is taking what is there and stretching it, so to speak.
It would be *very* odd for me to me preaching that there are indeed basic “right” and “wrongs” in writing/storytelling and then saying ‘lets just make up new rules!’.

If anything “disregard” *is* what’s happening with modern fiction, the rules are “disregarded” –maybe unintentionally- because they are (possibly) not even known.

they have to constantly tweak their ideas in order to conform with the fundamentals of that certain area.

Ever heard the phrase “rules are meant to be broken”?
We (homo sapiens) really wouldn’t be anywhere, especially scientifically, if the thought of a rule being in place cant be mucked. Yes, people have been persecuted and killed for thinking such, but advances have come forth, and even some geniuses.

Art is totally subjective, just as writing is.

Needless to say: I very much disagree. And Picasso stays. Subjective to a point, but not at the basic level.

I'm sorry.. I must have missed the bit where I stated that everyone was. I never said anything along these lines.. all I was saying is that that was an opinion. For someone who is big on making sure that people are correctly quoted then this is a major slip.

Please.
“I think you’re tripping over one of the biggest misconceptions going. Everyone is *not* entitled to an opinion.”
Note the “I think”.
Maybe I’m wrong, maybe I’m not.
You were *not*, however, misquoted.
My thinking still leans with my original intentions though especially with:

Saying you like limes is most definately an opinion, and if you find no judgement that makes that opinion then your statement that opinions are judgements is flawed. Simple as that.

You seem like a sweet kid, but sorry, I really *must* take the side of the OED in this an every other case.
And that isn’t subjective either…

catch you later,
j

jay said:
First of all, they *very* well may.
But I didn’t say “disregard”. That’s very different than divergence.
Divergence is taking what is there and stretching it, so to speak.
Yes I agree that they are streching.. but what exactly is it that they are streching? /Facts/. As I have stated previously, sciences and biology and such are based purely on facts, and have nothing to do with opinion. Concluding how well a certain book is written, however, has everything to do with opinion, and this is what seperates the two.

jay said:
Needless to say: I very much disagree. And Picasso stays. Subjective to a point, but not at the basic level.
I disagree. I don't believe there to be any "basic level" to art at all - art just is. It's not like you move up in steps to becoming an accomplished artist. I mean if a 4 year old can be selling their paintings for thousands of dollars then I don't really think that there can be many requirements for becoming a fully-fledged artist.

jay said:
You seem like a sweet kid, but sorry, I really *must* take the side of the OED in this an every other case.
And that isn’t subjective either…
According to the dictionary, and I quote, an opinion is "A belief or conclusion held with confidence but not substantiated by positive knowledge or proof". I think that we both agree that the person had come to the conclusion that he liked limes with confidence. Note that it is a requirement that there is no proof needed, and so therefore his lack of knowledge of /why/ he liked limes is irrelevent.

MonkeyCatcher said:
Yes I agree that they are streching.. but what exactly is it that they are streching? /Facts/. As I have stated previously, sciences and biology and such are based purely on facts, and have nothing to do with opinion.

Dear Catcher, you cited Gravity earlier. Now before Newton was a’ apple watching, what “facts” was he working with?
While we still seems to get the word “opinion” confused, while I assure you it *is* applicable here, -come sit in on our next lab meeting- would you prefer the term “theory” better? Now I mean this as a theory that may not necessary take into account some “facts”.
Was not Earth being flat but not a “fact” for some time?

Science would get nowhere if “facts” were some gawd-touched golden rule(s) that were never to be questioned, tried under different circumstance and/or taken into different areas with informed “opinions” sometimes even mistakes having *nothing* to do with fact occur (penicillin).

It seems to me that not just English (and now possibly “art”; definitely history) class needs some serious restructuring…I’m sure I’d be appalled to know what is being taught (or “taught”) as “science”…

Concluding how well a certain book is written, however, has everything to do with opinion, and this is what seperates the two.

This is your “opinion”, but not a “fact”.

And every day it just proves Uncle Jay’s English Class is a fairly nifty idea.

It's not like you move up in steps to becoming an accomplished artist.

Instead of the _The da Vinci Code_ maybe a da Vinci biography would help you in seeing the incorrectness of this statement.

I mean if a 4 year old can be selling their paintings for thousands of dollars then I don't really think that there can be many requirements for becoming a fully-fledged artist.

I don’t doubt that, as under your guidelines a 4-year old could potentially write a book that’s “good”.
This is not a “fact” though.

According to the dictionary, and I quote, an opinion is "A belief or conclusion held with confidence but not substantiated by positive knowledge or proof".

I’m not sure your dictionary of choice, but I think most reputable dictionaries would never even consider adding that later part. Which is foolish and startling.

I’d recommend you look into the Oxford English Dictionary, and sometime I refer to Webster’s just to make sure there’s something I’m not missing in some dilution of the English language.
“positive knowledge”? Bloody hell…

I think that we both agree that the person had come to the conclusion that he liked limes with confidence.

I would never agree someone is confident if they can’t state why they have an “opinion” or anything. Never.

Note that it is a requirement that there is no proof needed, and so therefore his lack of knowledge of /why/ he liked limes is irrelevent.

According to dictionaries that would hold no rep in an intelligent conversation. No slander to you, maybe this is what the schools are recommending. Maybe they have pretty pictures and scratch and sniff sections so as to not confuse the kids.

I honestly had no idea the Dumbing Down Effect was really so advanced…good golly, I’m actually getting depressed…

jay said:
Dear Catcher, you cited Gravity earlier. Now before Newton was a’ apple watching, what “facts” was he working with?
He was working with the fact that the apple fell. He was working with the fact that all things seemed to "stick" to the ground. I am actually not aware of the way in which he proved gravity existed to other people, but I'm pretty sure that he would have to have based his theory onknown facts rather than opinion to persuade other people. I don't know about you but I wouldn't believe someone if they waltzed up to me one day and said, "Hey, you know what? I reckon that things fall from the tree because of this neat thing called gravity! Proof? Well, nah... but in my opinion it's true. Wicked, huh?"

jay said:
Was not Earth being flat but not a “fact” for some time?
Yes it was, but how did we learn the truth of the shape of the Earth? With /facts/. I believe it was the famous pendulum experiment which proved that the Earth was round, which worked on facts, not on opinion. Sure, it may have started off as opinion, as he would need a reason to be conducting the experiment, yet /facts/ are needed in order for the theory to be accepted.

jay said:
And every day it just proves Uncle Jay’s English Class is a fairly nifty idea.
Merely opinion with not a shred of fact.

jay said:
I don’t doubt that, as under your guidelines a 4-year old could potentially write a book that’s “good”.
This is not a “fact” though.
I do think that potentially a 4-year-old could write a "good" book. And why not? I'm sure that there is every possibility that a child prodigy could come along that could write a good book at the age of four.. not a huge possibility but still there.

jay said:
I would never agree someone is confident if they can’t state why they have an “opinion” or anything. Never.
I think that the fact that they have no reason as to why they like something shows that they are confident in their choice even more than someone who did have reasons. If someone can stand up and say "Yes, I like limes" without any reasons whatsoever, then they seem to be very confident in their choice as they are not worried about their lack of reasons, they just know it to be fact.

~MonkeyCatcher~

He was working with the fact that the apple fell.

Well, he may not have worked with that at all. It’s still debated (well, between weird people)as to whether the apple story is true; some say Voltaire made it up, others believe Stukeley -who published his memoirs and claims to have been with the Good Sir on the very happening.

I am actually
not aware of the way in which he proved gravity existed to other
people

You don’t want to know. Hell, I don’t want to know. But:
F=G M1M2/R2

Sexy, eh?

but I'm pretty sure that he would have to have based his theory
onknown facts rather than opinion to persuade other people.

There are no “facts” per se, as indeed, to this day it is still known as a THEORY.

"Hey, you know what? I reckon that things fall from the tree
because of this neat thing called gravity! Proof? Well, nah... but in
my opinion it's true. Wicked, huh?"

I find people believing in that no more or less credible than ohhhh millions and millions of people believing that an invisible man up in the sky “created” every lil’ thing on this here planet.
Oh yeah, and he looks just like us!

I believe it was the famous pendulum experiment which
proved that the Earth was round

History classes usually accredit (or did) Magellan’s voyage (a few hundred years before Foucault’s Pendulum (but after Galileo’s)…but if my sometimes shaky memory serves Magellan _wasn’t_ the first to make the journey and some poor sap isn’t getting his historical due (happens all the time, really).

Sure, it may have started off as opinion,

[letting out HUGE sigh of relief]
This is what I’ve been saying for days…

Merely opinion with not a shred of fact.

Ahhhhh, but as you so forth proclaim(ed), the evolution of an “opinion” (especially and informed one) may very well be a “fact”!
(ok, I’m being a dick here, but I’m on a 7-day work-week…)

I think that the fact that they have no reason as to why they like
something shows that they are confident in their choice even more than
someone who did have reasons. If someone can stand up and say "Yes, I like limes" without any reasons whatsoever, then they seem to be very
confident in their choice as they are not worried about their lack of
reasons, they just know it to be fact.

[emphasis mine]
Replace “confident” with “ignorant” and I’ll agree with you and we’ll call it a day

~MonkeyCatcher~

What’s today’s quota? And what do you do with the monkeys?
(you don’t normally sign your posts…)

ok- to get this back on track: is there anyone here taking a Summer English course and/or has (the dreaded) REQUIRED Reading to do over the summer?
If so, whatcha reading?
j

jay said:
You don’t want to know. Hell, I don’t want to know. But:
F=G M1M2/R2

Sexy, eh?
Oookk.. I'll just smile and nod.. works /every/ time ;)

jay said:
I find people believing in that no more or less credible than ohhhh millions and millions of people believing that an invisible man up in the sky “created” every lil’ thing on this here planet.
Oh yeah, and he looks just like us!
Let me rephrase what I said then... What if someone walked up to someone /intelligent/ blah blah... :p

jay said:
What’s today’s quota? And what do you do with the monkeys?
(you don’t normally sign your posts…)
Oh I just felt like doing something different. I think it looks rather snazzy :D And regarding the monkeys.. have you ever seen the episode of The Simpsons where Homer gets a helper monkey? Replace me with Homer and the several monkeys I catch with his one monkey and bingo! You've got the answer :D

jay said:
ok- to get this back on track: is there anyone here taking a Summer English course and/or has (the dreaded) REQUIRED Reading to do over the summer?
If so, whatcha reading?
I'm not taking a summer course (mainly because it's still winter here :p ) but I am required to read To Kill a Mockingbird for English at the moment. It was either that or Catcher in the Rye and I thought TKAM sounded more interesting.

~MonkeyCatcher~

MonkeyCatcher said:
Let me rephrase what I said then... What if someone walked up to someone /intelligent/ blah blah... :p

[Snickering] Well, I’m in enough heat as it is with the Potter fans, I’m not about to get the religious nutters after me now too. And I’ll take a break from the word “intelligence” for awhile…but in this case I’d change it to “sane”.
But I agree. [Running for door]

And regarding the monkeys.. have you ever seen the episode of The Simpsons where Homer gets a helper monkey?

Nope. Never seen any episode of it. Not my bag. Bart’s voice alone would make me enter a television throwing contest.
But I like the idea of “monkey catcher” though. You gotta find some nice avatar that matches.

It was either that or Catcher in the Rye and I thought TKAM sounded more interesting.

Wise choice. Say hi to Boo for me.
j

jay said:
But I like the idea of “monkey catcher” though. You gotta find some nice avatar that matches.
I actually got the idea from the English version of "The Office" because of something that one of the main characters says. The actor said in a doco once that he signs autographs "I could catch a monkey" because of the scene and so "MoneyCatcher" was born.

~MonkeyCatcher~

I had to read any Agatha Christie book I chose and either Brave New World or Pygmalion. I chose to read Pygmalion and The Murder of Roger Ackroyd.

Back