• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

What book should be REQUIRED reading for everyone?

I don't necessarily agree that you can say all works are equal. A BMW is better than a Yugo, a four star hotel is better than a seedy, decrepit-cheap one. Likewise, Twain, Chekhov, Nabokov, and Keats are better than Danielle Steele, Tom Clancy, and Dan Brown. Students may read a book that they themselves choose, but 9 times out of 10, they will choose works they are familiar with. Works that give them a comfort zone and works that don't challenge them. It's a natural reaction. If I hadn't been assigned certain books for classes, I doubt I would have ever read some of them as they were widely noted, yet somewhat obscure.

Cretin said:
I don't think there should be a thing such as "required reading" for schools.

Jezuz…there’s more of you?

(similar to my 9th grade ap english class - great teacher).

So a “great teacher” basically means: “let’s kid do whatever they want”.
(SFG, when your kids get old enough for a babysitter, I’m kinda thinking you should not ask Cretin…)

In my opinion, The Lord of the Rings should be read in schools as often as stuff like The Grapes of Wrath.

No on Earth.

LOTR is probably the more influential book.

Er, um. Probably not.
And even if so, “influential” how? Leading to reading nothing more than fuzzy footed, shitily written pap? Watching more movies? Playing more video games?

Also, introducing kids to deeper science fiction books - like Heinlein, Vonnegut, or Dick, for instance - would grab more kids' attention and get them reading more challenging work.

Sorry. When said student gets to university, if they so choose, they can take a “science fiction” class.

I would like to see Robert E. Howard and Lovecraft get more recognition.

So pimp their stuff to the Stephen King crowd here on the list.
King has unfortunately bruised the finally-translated Houellebecq study on Lovecraft with an introduction, so maybe they’ll buy it cuz of that. (I doubt it).

I bet 75% of kids don't even read the required books and fake the exams. Why not have them read what they might actually enjoy?

75% of kids may go to bed hungry because they refuse to eat their spinach. Sorry, they shouldn’t be given a Popsicle as reward for their own stubbornness.

And just who is to say what the "great" works are?

Usually time.

The old man deciding the curriculum who is utterly unable to relate to this generation of kids? I don't think so.

Many of the books deemed “classics” are, quite usually, pretty timeless. Sadly, it probably takes a little *thinking* to figure this out.

They aren't as stupid as a lot of us think - in fact, they're about as smart as adults!

While this statement doesn’t really mean a whole lot, let’s wait until they _do_ become adults before reading most of the juvenile reads you mention.

j

Jay - Okay, let's just be straight on this. Heinlein and Tolkien WERE very good authors; have you ever read A Citizen of the Galaxy? Deep, meaningful, not necessarily easy reading, but beneficial.
Also, it's not like Tolkien gave the okay to making movies and video games out of his books. He's dead.

On the other hand, I LOVED The Great Gatsby(just read it; I'm a junior in high school). I also adore Huckleberry Finn(and most of Mark Twain), and agree that students probably should read Shakespeare, like Romeo and Juliet. Which is hilarious if you can understand the humor.

On the other foot, I HATED everything Steinbeck wrote, and thought that The Catcher in the Rye was trash. Innovative trash for its time, but still stream-of-consciousness crap.

As a budding young physicist (yawn), I believe that everybody should be required to have a go at reading Stephen Hawkin's 'A Brief History of Time.' It gives an amazing insight into what reality is and how nature phenominally acts.

blackklava said:
Jay - Okay, let's just be straight on this. Heinlein and Tolkien WERE very good authors;

You’re stretching it…either way; there are quite a few good, let alone very-good authors that are also not used within the schooling system.

have you ever read A Citizen of the Galaxy?

No, but just the title alone gives me the itches…
For the record, when I was in knee pants I tried _The Hobbit_ and found it to be less readable/interesting than, say, _Winnie the Pooh_. Then in my 20s I was friends with a well read chap who just bloody adored Tolkien. So I tried the first book of whatever all this movie stuff was about. I burnt the book and gave him the ashes (as a joke, not out of anger).
For Heinlein I’ve only read _Stranger in a Strange Land_ and maybe a handful of short stories. I didn’t feel the urge to search other stuff out.

Sorry, kids, I’m just simply too much of a big fan of Reality that I don’t need little journey across the galaxy or alien/orc beings.
And I don’t see them as a proper teaching tool.

Also, it's not like Tolkien gave the okay to making movies and video games out of his books. He's dead.

No doubt. I don’t necessarily fault someone for going for the gold (in this case his estate). It’s sad, but that’s life (or at least life here on Earth). Still, I think the books had a more valid standing before Hollyweird got involved.

Nowadays many books are written directly to be translated to the screen. Films rights are sold right along with the advance to the book.

and agree that students probably should read Shakespeare, like Romeo and Juliet. Which is hilarious if you can understand the humor.

It’s a shame many, many schools don’t have the opportunity to go SEE a play performed. This should be a ‘required’ school trip. Yes, I’m all for WS being taught and while R&J has some funny moments, give _Twelfth Night_ a spin. Seriously funny stuff.

On the other foot, I HATED everything Steinbeck wrote, and thought that The Catcher in the Rye was trash. Innovative trash for its time, but still stream-of-consciousness crap.

I think _Of Mice and Men_ is a hell of a story, but unfortunately, for me, Steinbeck hasn’t really held up over the years. He was an early influence but after reading Faulkner much of JS seems very…simple.
‘Rye’, I agree. I didn’t like it at all.
But as I’ve said, I’ve very, very willing to let anyone “hate” something, one can *still* receive an A grade for explaining WHY.

Lemming said:
As a budding young physicist (yawn), I believe that everybody should be required to have a go at reading Stephen Hawkin's 'A Brief History of Time.' It gives an amazing insight into what reality is and how nature phenominally acts.

That’s a bit out of the high school level, hell in many Universities in the US this is still too advanced.
As a budding you physicist I can not recommend Dr Richard Feynman enough to you. His physics stuff is amazing and even non scientists can easily enjoy _”Surely You’re Joking, Mr. Feynman!”: Adventures of a Curious Character_ & _What Do You Care What Other People Think?: Further Adventures of…_
Some of his letters have just been published too. Truly a great man.
j

blackklava said:
let's just be straight on this. Heinlein and Tolkien WERE very good authors;

I tried Tolkein a few years ago and it was, in my opinion, boring and I could not even finish The Fellowship of the Ring even though I had only one chapter to go. People seem to think all the poems and songs make the world seem alive which is crap; the characters make the world seem alive. However, what was the point of Tom Bombadil who appears for, when you think about it, no valid reason? It was all good guys and bad guys and really rather dull.

Read 'Heart Of Darkness', you stinkin' swine!

Then, gulp down some duplicitous 'Dubliners'...

Finally, follow it up with a large dollop of 'Animal Farm'.

Ain't none of dose boox that can't be enjoyed on many levels - stupid or instupididy (sp?).

Sheeks.

I mainly didn't like Steinbeck because I found his writing quite plain and so depressing that it nixed out any enjoyment of his writing that you might find. His style didn't appeal to me. And neither did his subject matter - alright, the world sucks and people are evil. Why don't we all just kill ourselves?

If you don't enjoy the good vs. bad theme, then no, LOTR is not for you, as that's pretty much the whole point of the books. Tom Bombadil was, in my opinion, a sort of control - someone who could not be affected by evil, but could not really affect evil either. A different perspective.

jay said:
That’s [Stephen Hawking, A Brief History of Time] a bit out of the high school level, hell in many Universities in the US this is still too advanced...

I read the book before going to university (aged 18) and found it be be quite accessible. OK, it may take a few rereads of some parts, a little bit of imagination as well as obviously having to accept what is said as true (there are few proofs), but the book should be an interesting read for the layman.

jay said:
...As a budding you physicist I can not recommend Dr Richard Feynman enough to you...Truly a great man.

I personally have never liked his books although I have heard quite a few people who do. But he too is recommended for someone who is interested.

I could see Hawking being used in advanced biology, though not in an english class. He did a great job with his book, attempting to explain complicated things to lay people. We certainly need his book in schools to counter-act the "science fiction" that is floating around these days. :)

Depression Antidote

Everyone gets depressed, I mean deep-depressed over the meaning of life type stuff. I am very thankful that Mr. Salinger wrote FRANNY AND ZOOEY. Though I've read all his books, I keep coming back to this one. CITR, had more shock-value, but this one is practical soul nourishment.

Back