• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

What books did u score for Xmas then?

I got Sunshine by Robin McKinley; Quicksilver by Neal Stephenson; Angel-Seeker by Sharon Shinn and £20 book tokens. I did really well :)

The Stupidest Angel, Lamb, The Lust Lizard of Melencholy Cove and Fluke; all by Christopher Moore, Consuming Kids; by Susan Linn, A Short History of Nearly Everything; by Bill Bryson. Unplug the Christmas Machine; by Jo Robinson and Jean Coppock StaeheliPeter and the Starcatches; by Dave Barry and Ridely Pearson and Inkheart; by Cornelia Funke.

It was a very good haul. :) I also have a gift certificate to my favorite used bookstore! :D

~Witch

I got RA Salvatores:

Demon Awakens, Demon Apostle, Demon Spirit, Mortalis, and Dragon King

Trumps guide to a succesful business (i dunno why!)

And Daivd Eddings Legend of Swords or summin

Speaking of books as gifts... Do you think a studnet could get away with giving his used books away as gifts? Think of the money you'd save on birthdays/christmas ect. Though, I guess, you would have to be a really poor, pathetic, student like myself :p

I got
The Most Evil Men and Women in History (but I already had and read it)
The Most Evil Women in History
a History of our Family book (to do your family tree in)
Astronomy, The Definitive Guide
and Lady Cottington's Fairy Album

Tomorrow, I'm going to use the $120 gift card from Indigo that I have and buy a whole bunch more!!! WAHOO!

Halcyon said:
Speaking of books as gifts... Do you think a studnet could get away with giving his used books away as gifts? Think of the money you'd save on birthdays/christmas ect. Though, I guess, you would have to be a really poor, pathetic, student like myself :p

Just noticed that we finally have another chess player....If you're up for playing sometime let me know. As far as giving your books as gifts, go for it. I figure since you paid a fortune for it, it counts as a really good gift. Plus, they can't return it :D

Christmas books:
Don Quixote
Hardback of Brothers Karamazov (had trade paper, but I won't argue)
Treatise on Human Nature

Going Postal by T. Pratchett, as well as two of his YA books.
Smithsonian Handbook: Birds of North America: Eastern Region, which is excellent (can't wait to use it with my Sibley handbook).

Also got a $20 gift certificate to my favorite bookstore for my birthday.

Jenem said:
I got
The Most Evil Men and Women in History (but I already had and read it)
The Most Evil Women in History
a History of our Family book (to do your family tree in)
Astronomy, The Definitive Guide
and Lady Cottington's Fairy Album

Tomorrow, I'm going to use the $120 gift card from Indigo that I have and buy a whole bunch more!!! WAHOO!

No Indigo's here, just a REAL small coles in the mall and a Small (For Chapters standards) Chapters down the road from the mall :(

Let's see...
The Last American Man- about a wilderness fella
Eco's Baudolino
Field Guide to North American Birds
two blank books- one for bird journaling and one to catalog my books

cajunmama said:
two blank books- one for bird journaling and one to catalog my books

How do you go about cataloging in a blank book? I have to do that on the computer or else I get a little screwed up.

Me? I got Hell House by Richard Matheson, but I also got an MP3 player, so I'm happy :)

Harry Potter & the Order of Phoenix
The God of Small Things
50 Facts that should change the world
Eats, Shoots and Leaves
A Short History of Nearly Everything
Meditations On Middle Earth
The Salmon of Doubt
The David Suzuki Reader
The Travel Book: A Journey Through Every Country in the World

I also bought Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norell with a gift card from Chapters and still have a $50 card left.

I'm one very happy reader!! :D

Oh, I forgot this one book my wife got me called "Evrything men Know About Wemen". just as I settled down in my recliner and opened it, about to read it, I saw that all the pages were blank! lol Seriously.

Ell said:
A Short History of Nearly Everything

The Bill Bryson book? That's a very good one.
1053617094.gif
It's good if you are curious about science, but don't want to get too bogged down with "textbook" stuff. He covers a lot of areas, doesn't go into too much detail - but enough to pique your interest.
36.gif

Oh and his travel books are great too - hilarious!
446.gif

Happy reading!

Drizzt Do'Urden said:
Oh, I forgot this one book my wife got me called "Evrything men Know About Wemen". just as I settled down in my recliner and opened it, about to read it, I saw that all the pages were blank! lol Seriously.

OMG!!! That's hilarious! Can I borrow it?

xmissyo said:
How do you go about cataloging in a blank book? I have to do that on the computer or else I get a little screwed up.
Easy. When I finish a book I write down the author and title. I also note the beginning of a new year. That is the beginning and the end of my book cataloging system.

I didn't get anything but I got my sister
Fathers and Sons by Turgenev
The Scarlet Letter by Hawthorne
1984 by Orwell (the book is published in the year 1984, so it's a special edition, the paper looks old and yellow, but that's what I love about it)
A book that combines Dracula, Frankenstein, and Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde

marlasinger said:
The Bill Bryson book? That's a very good one. It's good if you are curious about science, but don't want to get too bogged down with "textbook" stuff. He covers a lot of areas, doesn't go into too much detail - but enough to pique your interest.
Yep, that's the one. Looking forward to it. I like general books on almost anything - they give me incentive to look things up in more detail.

Back