• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

What books have you hated?

Violanthe

Ever read a book that you absolutely hated? Or even one that you rather disliked? Which book was it? And why didn't you like it?

Swastika by Michael Slade. I don't really know why I dislike it so much, but I just do, it was not a captivating reading at all except for the beginning but as the plot went on the book turned boring itself and hard to read, I didn't see the day when I could finish it and when I did I felt a strong relief.

The Bourne Identity by Robert Ludlum. Just too repetitive and the main characters were invincible. Not my type of book at all.

Nights at the Circus by Angela Carter (had to read it for college, it was awful!)
The Secret Garden - school, ugh ugh ugh
Black Beauty - school too
Lucky by Alice Sebold

There was a book by Tami Hoag, called Magic something or other. It was absolute rot, the worst writing ever. :rolleyes: I think it was one of her earlier books. The characterisation, and dialogue of her characters were just tacky, like a second-rate romance novel. My God, it was so bad. :eek: I only got about a quarter of the way before chucking it down in disgust. :rolleyes:

all russian classics authors (which are studied in school program) in whole this pfogram only Master and Margarita by Bulgakov is real book.

Lord of the Flies

I just read it two years ago or so. I had never needed to read it for school and thought I would see what the hubbub was about. It is a very short book, some 185 pages if I remember correctly but it was the slowest-going page turner I have ever come across. I literally had to force myself to finish it (because I am too stubborn to put down a book that I am not enjoying).

That's interesting. I've heard "Lord of the Flies" and "Catcher in the Rye" mentioned a lot in response to this topic on other pages I visit, but I had just assumed that people were begrudgingly remembering school assignments.

I guess that leads me to ask, which books have you folks disliked in part because you HAD to read them for school, and which ones have you disliked that you simply read on your own?

I used to say I'd never hated a book that I read, that I liked some more than others and that was it. Then I read 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea, A Farewell to Arms, Pride and Prejudice, and several other bad "classics". More modern books I dislike are the Vampire Huntress Legend Series by L.A. Banks, anything by Cornelia Funke, and the Gossip Girls series. In spite of everything, A Farewell to Arms is my ultimate least favorite.

Violanthe said:
Ever read a book that you absolutely hated? Or even one that you rather disliked? Which book was it? And why didn't you like it?

In general, I dislike romance novels. I read a couple and never read them again.

Because I have romances myself, I am much better writer than all of them. (If no one agree, at least I think so.:p )

I can write more steamier scheme than the authors and more tragic stories.

Hmm... that gets me thinking.

:rolleyes:

astralKnight said:
In general, I dislike romance novels. I read a couple and never read them again.

Because I have romances myself, I am much better writer than all of them. (If no one agree, at least I think so.:p )

I can write more steamier scheme than the authors and more tragic stories.

Hmm... that gets me thinking.

:rolleyes:

Well, the trick with romance genre novels is that they follow the formula. I have never read ANYTHING so formulaic as romance novels. They're all exactly the same story.

Violanthe said:
Well, the trick with romance genre novels is that they follow the formula. I have never read ANYTHING so formulaic as romance novels. They're all exactly the same story.

This is true, this is why they are boring after a while.

:(

Violanthe said:
I've read many fantasy novels. And they are not anywhere NEAR as formulaic as romance.

But at least romance novels are short. Bad fantasy novels go on and on and on and on... You just want to scream "quit telling me what the fifth scribe to Queen Althphanthasiayyi said at the christening about the exact line of succession to the Vrethnthian throne!" and throttle the author before she writes again.

Violanthe said:

Alice Sebold's The Lovely Bones. I hated it for its accessible style posing as quality, its hokey/hook'em theme posing as controversial daring, and most of all for its atrocious ending, which was the most commercial piece of 'talk about me!' calculation I've ever seen in a novel. I hated myself for reading it afterwards.

I think all genre fiction is formulaic to some degree. Mysteries, fantasy, romance, westerns... all have certain types of characters, and certain plot features, that make them fit into their categories.

To focus more on the question, I read As I Lay Dying for school and really hated it. I also read Atlas Shrugged (not for school, on my own), because I thought it was somehow important to know about and I kept waiting for the part of the book that would make it all worthwhile... and it never came. So that was crappy.

Pinecones360 said:
war of the worlds. so much freaking potential for description, and they described all the wrong things. dismal.

I was very disappointed in the book as well. I was expecting much more of the sci-fi element, but found it to be so drawn out with the narrator and his brother's description of what was happening to the people/town etc. Yawn. :rolleyes:

"The Coffin Dancer" by Jeffrey Deaver-----Unrealistic, unlikable main characters, and something that drives me nuts in both novels and movies, a total disregard for the value of life for everyone except the main characters.
"Kiss the Girls" by James Patterson---I actually broke a lamp when I threw this book across the room upon finishing it. What I hated about it---the the book needs a ending so lets randomly choose ______ as the killer.

Back