• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

what books made you cry?

I bawled from that point in HP6 until the end (possibly because I, too, had stayed up the entire night to read it). It's quite hard to read when your eyes are blurred with tears, but I'm a stubborn mule :)

Others include:
- LOTR (whenever, mostly for Boromir)
- One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest (I know it's meant to be about liberation, but come on...it's pretty sad)
- Watership Down
- Angela's Ashes
- White Coolies (about women in a POW camp)
- Looking for Alibrandi (I didn't cry in the crap film, but when John dies in the book, it's very sad.

StillILearn said:
Whose hormones, ds? Which? Do your male hormones prevent you from crying? Did the mere proximity to your wife's hormones nearly make you cry? Help me out here.

Just talking about people crying makes me want to cry.
Sorry Still, missed your question.

I didn't cry reading Five People.

I've not cried from reading a book yet. I think it's because my male hormones change the words in the book so as to make it less emotional for me.

"And when he turned his head, he saw Sofia, whom he had missed for so many years" becomes "Sofia was suddenly standing there".

ds

Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince
The Lovely Bones
The Color Purple
Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix
The Love Hina series
(Who knows why, it was probably because I read the whole series and it was finally over. OK, so this probably doesn't qualify as a book, but I had to add it in anyway)
The Giver

Kane & Abel By Jeffrey Archer.
When William's friend Matthew . . . .
Its the only time I cried.

A Walk to Remember by Nicholas Sparks
The Amber Spyglass by Phillip Pullman
The Return of the King by J.R.R. Tolkien
Ahh.....just remembering those scense is making me sad....

direstraits said:
Were you crying because the ending was not what you wanted it to be?

ds

:D No, that just got me annoyed. I cried because of what happened to the characters (can't say more or I'll spoil the books).

I know I cried during the last two Harry Potter books. And I know I've cried during other books, I just can't remember them right now.

Then again, I cry too much for me to remember everytime I do. I think I rather enjoy it. But I remember the times I cried while reading Harry Potter because they made me really really really sad. I don't think I cried that much for stuff that's actually happened. *sniff*

I cried at the end of Tandia by Bryce Courtenay, at the end of Harry Potter 6, during Dark Tower 7... hmm. Those are the books that spring to mind.

I cry during movies too. The Joy Luck Club is a sure bet for tears. I cried during Hope Floats as well, and I get a little teary every Christmas when I watch It's a Wonderful Life. Hell, I even cried when I saw that new Adam Sandler movie, Click, in the theater.

I saw someone mention Bridge to Terabithia - I read it when i was pretty young (seems like it was required reading in elementary school or something) and not only did it make me cry, but it traumatized me for years. I'm still afraid to read it again.

The only other I can remember making me cry is, Jesse: The Man Who Outran Hitler - Jesse Owens

Mattyj said:
I saw someone mention Bridge to Terabithia - I read it when i was pretty young (seems like it was required reading in elementary school or something) and not only did it make me cry, but it traumatized me for years. I'm still afraid to read it again.
The exact same thing happened to me! I was completely shocked. I think A Bridge to Terabithia was the first book I read that did not end happily. I cried for days, and I became a bit traumatized as well. Just thinking about it makes me sad.

I cried recently when I read a book called "Oscar and the Lady in Pink" by Eric-Emmanuel Schmitt. I've a friend who has had to go through chemo recently so this book really brought home a lot of stuff to me.

It's about a 10 year old boy called Oscar who is in hospital with Leukemia. He is urged by one of the volunteers (the lady in pink) to treat each day like it is a decade of his life. He falls in love, gets married, has an affair and a mid-life crisis and then talks about what it feels like to get old.

Incredibly moving, and so powerfully written.

The Time Traveler's Wife made me cry. So did Stone Butch Blues by Leslie Feinberg. I'm sure there's others but I can't think of them right now.

At the end of the Amber Spyglass...in fact on various occasions throughout my first and second readings of His Dark Materials...I also cried loads while reading Anne Frank's diary and I cried bucketloads over Little Women.

One and only one for me. I read Where the red fern grows and I have never had a book affect me the way that one did. It was required reading in my school and I wrote an incredibly sad book report for that one. All I could do, from the worst part, to the end was blubber like a baby. I still have the copy I bought from a 5th grade book sale. Held together with duct tape, but still gets read!

akamholz said:
One and only one for me. I read Where the red fern grows and I have never had a book affect me the way that one did. It was required reading in my school and I wrote an incredibly sad book report for that one. All I could do, from the worst part, to the end was blubber like a baby. I still have the copy I bought from a 5th grade book sale. Held together with duct tape, but still gets read!

..I forgot about that one. I cried for days....

Can't say that I've cried out of some emotional connection with a book. I've rad some books that almost made me cry in pain-Proust has that effect.

Back