• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

What books should I read next?

corneggs

I always keep a list of what I want to read next, but then I go to the library and browse and think, "That list will be for next time. This time I want it to be based on serendipity."

Well, not anymore! Here's my current list. Since I don't want to/don't have the ability to pick at random, can you please help me out here? Which order should I read these in?

Remember, it's the beginning of spring so I don't want anything too dark but not a beach read either.

Chocolat
House of Leaves
For Joshua by Richard Wagamese
Where White Men Fear to Tread by Russell Means
Oracle Night
Life of Pi
The Poisonwood Bible
The Thorn Birds
The True And Outstanding Adventures Of The Hunt Sisters
The Skystone The Dream of Eagles Vol. 1
The Sun, the Moon, and the Stars by Steven Brust
Kane and Abel
The Murder Room
The Beekeeper's Apprentice
The Bestseller
The Shipping News
Passing Through by Colin Channer
If on a Winter's Night a Traveler
Mrs. Dalloway
The Power of One
Victory Meat (collection of Canadian short stories)

Anyway the list goes on and on. Thanks for your help! I sure am an unorganized reader.

I'll third "Life of Pi" and add "If on a Winter's Night a Traveler". Reading Calvino is like a spa visit for your soul.

Wow, the only one I've read was The Poisonwood Bible. I don't remember it being extremely dark; you could give that one a try.

I'm inclined to suggest picking one that you feel is the most different from anything you have ever read before, and sticking with it even if it doesnt seem so appealing at first. Mrs. Dalloway? "If on a Winter's Night, a Traveler..."?
Peder

"Oracle Night" is also a great book, one of Auster's very best IMO. It's got so many layers it'll make your head spin, but you'll have fun.

I have read:
Life of Pi
The Poisonwood Bible
The Murder Room
If on a Winter's Night a Traveler
Mrs. Dalloway
The Power of One

Out of that list, I liked The Poisonwood Bible and The Power of One the best. Those books had great characters that you could really hold on to and make friends with. Those kinds of novels are the most enjoyable for me.

Hmm...since so many of you want me to read Life of Pi, I think I'll do that first. Next in popularity comes The Poisonwood Bible, so I'll romp through that after. But Peder, you're right, I should read something totally different so after that I'll read If on a Winter's Night a Traveler.

Here's my list in order so far:
1. Life of Pi
2. The Poisonwood Bible
3. If on a Winter's Night a Traveler

Thanks for your suggestions! Keep them coming!

I'd go for The Shipping News.

It was a long time ago that I read it, and university and all that went with that happened between then and now, but I do remember enjoying it quite a bit when I read it for high school. This was back in the day when I was still alienated from literature.

By the way, Postcards is a blast too, but it's not on your list.

Thanks for your Postcards suggestion but I really would like to finish my reading list of 500 books before I add any more...I promised myself that!

Back