• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

What could JK Rowling write next (pertinent to HP)?

FaranMeh

I thought it would be a good idea to discuss ideas for books JK Rowling could write. I was thinking of how after the Lord of the Rings was written, there were the peripheral Chronicles of Middle Earth written by Tolkien's son Christopher.

I was thinking several things she could do are:

1) Write "Hogwarts: A History". We could learn about the foundation and construction of the school, learn about its architecture in greater depth, and learn the stories of the four founders.

2) (For Children) Publish an catalog of the items at Fred and George's jokeshop.

3) I suspect a comic of the first seven books will be made, eventually.

4)
I would like her to write a short piece, perhaps publishing it on a blog, explaining what became of the Dursleys, what occupations Ron, Harry, and Hermione take, and who became headmaster of Hogwarts (McGonagall is my best guess!) Obviously some things are fine left to our imagination but I have taken a distinct liking to J.K. Rowling's imagination as well :)

5) (Again, for children) They could probably do a bigger, better version of the "Magical Beasts and Creatures and Where to Find Them" than the small booklet she published a while ago for charity. The same applies to the Quidditch book.

6) Publish a book helping us understand how things work in the Wizarding World at large: explain more about Gringotts, magical law, economy, geography, history, etc.

;)

Yeah, but see, it's that kind of crap that turns something once beautiful and memorable into something both horrible and mundane. If she does decide to catch a bad case of mediocre-writer's diarrhea, then I hope the backlash is strong.

And, as much as I loved the Harry Potter novels, I doubt J.K. Rowling could write something like it again. While the books were great, her prose was crap, and though I consider the seven-part series to be one of the most entertaining things I've experienced for a long time, there's no doubt in my mind that HP isn't a series that took off due to skill, but more due to luck.

I must also eek at the idea. I'm pretty edgy about it when authors get too detailed. That's what fanfiction is for; making up lots of details in their own imaginations and toying with a world that's mostly misty. It's what keeps the interest and makes everyone who likes HP prance around merrily. Tra la la.

Brief edit: The mist invokes the delighted frolicking. Not the fanfiction. My brain is fuzzy and being clear isn't happening.

I do believe she has some plans in the works to write a sort of "encyclopedia" to explain a lot that didn't get explained at the end of the series. We shall see.

As far as this (and other works about HP) being "horrible" and "mundane", I don't think it would quite have that effect. If anything, the children who "grew up" with Harry would love nothing more than to experience more indepth the life they lived (if only through fantasy) for 10 years.

I grew up with Harry, and he was older than me in the series finish (I'm currently 16 and will be 17 come January), and it is with these cherished memories of looking through Hogwarts that evokes such a strong distaste towards the idea of an encyclopedia.

4)
I would like her to write a short piece, perhaps publishing it on a blog, explaining what became of the Dursleys, what occupations Ron, Harry, and Hermione take, and who became headmaster of Hogwarts (McGonagall is my best guess!) Obviously some things are fine left to our imagination but I have taken a distinct liking to J.K. Rowling's imagination as well :)

Just a reminder to please use spoiler tags or indicate that a thread has spoilers in it. I haven't read the seventh book and I pretty much know a portion of the ending now. :mad: I've added spoiler tags so that it isn't ruined for anyone else.

I think JKR will try her hand at adult fiction, non-fantasy. It won't have anything to do with Harry Potter. Her first book will be a success simply because all the adults out there that read the HP books as soon as they came out will run right out and buy it. It won't, however, be as well received as the HP books were. After that, I think she will either return to children's serial fiction, or trickle off.

I like the idea of an encyclopedia. It would be a creative way to tie up the loose ends. There is so much that she could do in that area, too! It could include a map and stuff like that. I think the Hogwarts A History was a good idea, too. There is so much she could do with going Beyond Book 7. I think it would be far fetched to continue the story, but a little insight to the world of Magic wouldn't be bad.

She should give up and just count her money. If I had been JKR there is NO WAY I would have sanctioned all the spin-off crap that Harry Potter has generated; all the made in China crappy plastic toys and games, etc.

"Warner Brothers want to buy the film rights for my books? Yeah, OK, you can have the rights - but on MY terms not yours." They'd still have wanted to make those films, you can bet on it.

i'm sure a million people have mentioned that she is writing, or planning to write an enclopedia of all the chactacters.

Hogwards: a History would be interesting but she did mention the basics throughout the series.

If she published a catalog, i'm sure there would be a percetange of people who would think that the products were real

Well, I'm happy to see the success of Harry Potter hasn't gone to her head (in saying she knows it won't reach the saturation point of HP), but I'm also glad to see she wants to keep writing. I'm sure the book won't be my type of thing, as I'm no fan of her writing style, but I do wish her all the luck in completing something in a field which she adores. And yeah, I'll check the book out once it's on shelves. Good luck, Rowling.

My guess would be to agree with the encyclopedia theory. She's got loads of notebooks with info about the world of HP which she's been writing for many years. It would be nice if she edited those into a book (preferably well illustrated).

Harry Potter was fabulous and all but I think J.K Rowling should try something different if she contiues with this Harry Potter 'stuff' its going to become redundant and unapealing.

With the thing about J.K Rowling writing crime novels, I hope that works out I would buy any of her books, I think shes a fantasic author.

FaranMeh, buddy, wanna hang out with me through the forum? You know, you and I are from the same place and I think I'm very well nationalist enough. And I saw the only thread posted by you and I really liked it.

I don't know that I could read anything else by her, and not be thinking of Harry Potter the whole time. The same reason that I haven't read anything else that Stephenie Meyer has written (outside of Twilight).

I'd certainly back her to write some more - I'd be pleased if it was a standalone book though, the desperate need to create trilogies and big series of books annoys me very much. She did it well with Harry Potter, and hopefully she won't drag that around too much!

I think she has great skill as a storyteller, and so I would read anything she wrote. But I agree that I would be hard to get Harry Potter out of my head. But that's to be expected, I think.

Back