• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

What did Thumper's Daddy say?

How do you pronounce that? Moe (as in the stooge) Dee (as in the letter) Vee (also the letter)?

Cheers

Why do you have different ways of pronouncing it? Isn't your mom automatically right on this?

Cheers

She is at least more persistant in it.

I think most people read it the first way and I've never bothered to contradict them, so I adopted that pronunciation.

My mother goes with the way her friend pronounced it and therefore is probably correct.

I must always contradict my mother it is a key factor in our relationship.

Well I would like to comment meaningfully on the discussion that this thread was designed for...but spent so much time between reading that and whatever else was in between that I forget what was going on. And as I'm barely clinging to awakeness, I don't think I'm going to go back reading through it all to find it. *searches memory*

Martin said something nice to me--thanks. I don't think I'm going to leave here anytime soon...but at the same time, I probably won't ever be able to contribute much here either, given that I spent 60% of my TBF time for tonight reading this thread. I guess your spammaliciousness will deny you more of the divine words from my lips.* Sucks for you. *grin*

Sar mentioned something about perfection--and I must confess that even though you may feel the urge to worship me, you should desist--it's a carefully orchestrated illusion of perfection, rather than perfection itself. Of course, you might not be able to help yourself.**

I appreciate several of you responding to my comments, which weren't exactly phrased in the most tactful way--thanks for not taking offense, as none was intended.

I agree heartily with novella about the job of mods--at least, I insofarasmuchas it applies to my idea of forums in general. If the forum (or forum owner) decrees different, obviously that defines the job of mods.

And while I am about splicing humor into pretty much everything, I appreciate a long, on topic discussion, so you can add my voice there. I think that is in INSANE to expect serious discussions and serious discussers to simply "hold on" while people who don't respect them or their points (or act as if they don't) blab on about something unrelated for 10 or 20 posts, until the discussion moves "organically" back in the direction it started. That makes no sense to me in any way. While amusing, and 'all in fun,' it is devoid of respect of community and community members.

And comparing the board to a real world conversation is obviously flawed--both for lack of body language, as was mentioned, but also because we are literally not in the same space at the same time--we can't talk over each other, respond to an individual under our breath, use volume or pitch to indicate the severity of our points, or most importantly, respond in realtime.

See you in a couple days...and at this rate *wry smile* a couple pages.

~Acolyte

*Note: Since sarcasm doesn't often translate well online and the majority of y'all don't know me, I thought I'd annotate. That was Sarcasm.

**Note: This is also Sarcasm.

PS--Why is the "bump for inactivity" function on this forum so short? Every time I take awhile to properly phrase my post, I have to log in again to post it, as I've been kicked. Happens to me when adding poems, too. Hmm....could be why people make such short posts here, and so often... *smile*

Since I am congenitally unable to stay on topic (my middle name being Digression), I guess I will just have to keep my lips zipped (duct tape appears to be about the only thing that works in my case -- and I have found so many wonderful uses for duct tape -- but that's another story...)

:-#

It's ok Stillilearn duct tape is a wonderful thing.

I think many great topics come up in digression from the main topics. It seems natural that as you are talking/posting that what you are discussing makes you think of something else, I think most of us go with that and chime in with the associated topic. I think it gives the forum a nice human conversational feel and frankly if it was all regimented, strick, stick to your path and never deviate, we would loose a lot of great discussions and the friendly feel that makes people want to come here in the first place.

I don't know about anyone else but forums to me are about communication, if you just want to read about a topic with no variance there are plenty of reviews and articles availible that provide just that.

i guess that was my point i made over in the splice the forum thread. this topic had appeared to come to an end (as eventually most do) and ronny, martin and i got a wee bit off topic. so the discussion over there is suggesting that we would say something like "hey, lets head over to the watercooler to chitchat about ronny's bid for presidency and her refusal to say her name as her mother intended." instead of continuing here in this thread. which has gone from being about respectful criticism, to thread spamming. so this topic has transformed all on it's own.

jenngorham said:
...this thread. which has gone from being about respectful criticism, to thread spamming. so this topic has transformed all on it's own.

What is thread spamming? I won't continue to do it if it's a bad thing (and if I'm doing it.)

If it's a good thing, I'll begin immediately. I aim to please.

from my understanding it is when you take a thread that is one topic, and start talking about something else. or is that hijacking? i'm unsure of this as well. i will start a thread on it.

Point the way and I will follow.

(I have a mental image of a fingerpost with the word "Digressions -- This Way" written on it.)

jenngorham said:
i guess that was my point i made over in the splice the forum thread. this topic had appeared to come to an end (as eventually most do) and ronny, martin and i got a wee bit off topic. so the discussion over there is suggesting that we would say something like "hey, lets head over to the watercooler to chitchat about ronny's bid for presidency and her refusal to say her name as her mother intended." instead of continuing here in this thread. which has gone from being about respectful criticism, to thread spamming. so this topic has transformed all on it's own.

how about you droping by the watercooler (or whatever is named) and saying something like this
jenn- hey anybody home? / or alternatively/ stillilearn drag your sorry ass here, i know you're online :D
stillilearn- hey jenn whats up
jenn- whats up with you not saying your name as your mom intended?

or something like that, or also you could send martin or stillilearn or whoever a pm for them to join you on the watercooler whenever they are online.

Back