• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

What Did You Read in September?

It was my first Mulisch, too. In retrospect I may have been a little bit generous giving it a 5/5 - it's not flawless - but it was one of those books that really shook me up, and I remember really having to draw a deep breath when I finished. Sort of a mix of a psychological/theological study of Hitler and his acolytes and an existential horror novel... not a happy read, but a good one.

I will rate a book like that high too. A great read doesn't have to make me feel happy when I close the book..If the characters and their situations linger after I've finished the last sentence, I'll rate the book much higher than one that only makes me feel good and leaves nothing for me to think about afterwards.

The Dark Tower VII: The Dark Tower by Stephen King
Inkspell by Cornelia Funke
Dreaming Water by Gail Tsukiyama
The Widow of the South by Robert Hicks

I consider September an accomplishment even with four books because I finished the Dark Tower series. Done at last!

In August I decided to try and add a few more modern books to my ' too be read' pile every month. Just kind of chose those at random from the library shelves.

Crime and Punishment-Fyodor Dostoevsky

Like Water for Chocolate- Laura Esquivel

Spencer's Mountain-Earl Hamner

I was Amelia Earheart-Jane Mendolsohn

The Wind Done Gone-Alice Randall

The Quilter's Apprentice--Jennifer Chiaverini

Roses for Mama--Janette Oke

The Rosewood Casket--Sharyn MCCrumb

The African Queen-C.S. Foster

Far From The Madding Crowd-Thomas Hardy

I enjoyed the Hardy best, though.

Love in the Time of Cholera - Gabriel Garcia Marquez
The Hobbit - J.R.R. Tolkien
The Fourth Hand - John Irving
From a Buick 8 - Stephen King

I'm amazed at the number of books some (most) of you read. Have you all had speed reading courses? Or do you read every spare minute of the day? This computer takes up a lot of my time and after working 8-9 hours a day, I can't seem to find time to read very much.

Playing in the Dark - Toni Morrison ( for school)
Henri III et sa cour - Dumas (one of his first and most popular plays)
Les Louves de Machecoul - Dumas (one of his less known novels)
The 4 Musketeers - non fiction book about the real musketeers
Montmorency - Eleanor Updale

not much reading this month either..

I'm amazed at the number of books some (most) of you read. Have you all had speed reading courses? Or do you read every spare minute of the day? This computer takes up a lot of my time and after working 8-9 hours a day, I can't seem to find time to read very much.
Every spare minute of the day sums it up for me. ;)

Back