• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

What do you hate most about writing?

Redrafting, hands down. I have a habit of just lashing into it, when I write novels, so by the time I'm finished, they're filled with plot holes and inconsistencies (especially with regards to time). Redrafting, as a result, is a horrid process, and has caused me to abandon more than one project in the past. I keep telling myself that when I'm writing my next novel, I'll take more care to make everything fit together better, but it never happens.

What I hate most about writing is after coming up with a great idea...running with it (I'm a SOTP writer) I get to the sagging middle...and stay stuck.
Which is why, over the past years, I've written nothing but non fiction articles.:lol:

Have you tried outlining? It's saving me with my current novel. When I get stuck with a novel, I have a habit of pushing forward doggedly, with as I said before, is often at the expense of my manuscript. You have to have a clear vision of where you are going, and outlining helps that. =)

Have you tried outlining? It's saving me with my current novel. When I get stuck with a novel, I have a habit of pushing forward doggedly, with as I said before, is often at the expense of my manuscript. You have to have a clear vision of where you are going, and outlining helps that. =)

That's something I always seem to resist - even back in the dark ages when at school!
It might be time to give it a shot again. Thanks for the encouragement!

Sometimes the words come fast. Sometimest they come slow. Either way, I'm good...unless I'm on a deadline. Then I could get a bit stressed...

I think sometimes I'd rather "have written" a book than "be writing" a book, but that's just me being lazy.

Overall, there's nothing I dislike about writing. I like the brainstorming for an idea. I like forging the brainstorm into some kind of structure. I like interpreting the structure into the actual story as I write it. I like the difference between "knowing the path" and "walking the path". I like reaching the end of the story and even editing it again and again. I like handing it off to readers and enjoy the bit of nervousness that comes from wondering, "Did I get it right?"

OK...there is one thing I kinda dislike. Over the past year, I've been writing short stories of various lengths. One after the other. I've started to dislike being between stories. So I'm going to do a longer work now, a novel, so I won't be between stories for at least a month or so. :)

-David

I outline but I hardly ever end up sticking to the thing.

Outlines are really just outlines, and there's no reason you can't edit them as you go along. Part of my problems starting out stemmed from the fact that I never bothered to outline. That meant that by the time I finished my story, I had a cluster***k of a plot, excuse my language. It made redrafting a pain, and good stories (or at least good concepts) got abandoned as a result.

So yeah, if you outline, there's no reason why you can't change them as you go along. They're just to help you keep the events in order.

My favorite part of writing: editing.:lol:
I had lots of practice helping some people who shall remain nameless with their college papers:whistling:.BTW, they received very good grades. :lol:

I do not hate anything about writing. What bugs me is that I am a young writer. Patience and persistence must endure for me to write a worthy piece that I would be proud to showcase.

Reader's assumptions, I suppose, are a huge deal for me. When someone picks up something I've written and, when they're done, says something like, "I thought you were writing about zombies? This wasn't gory or scary." It always seems like they're looking down on me for taking something in a different direction than the norm... that irks me quite a bit.

When people compare my writing style to famous authors... mostly, I think, because I'm always compared to authors I've never read before, so people saying things like, "I can see the (insert author's name here) influence in this!" really gets my goat. Not to mention the fact that, while I have a distinct 'flavor' that I've developed on my own, I try to write in various styles all the time. Example: I'm working on a collaboration, and we're going for a very Douglas Adams feel to the style, but on another side I'm working on a different collaboration that's a straight up, hardcore nod to Poppy Z. Brite. So...

Poetry. Aside from haiku, I have no interest or desire to even look at poetry, and I've heard multiple times that NOT writing poetry makes me seem unromantic... and considering the fact that the underlying thread of most of my writing is attempts, in one form or another, at unconventional and unexpected romantic notions, that always bothers me.

Back