• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

What do you want in a bookstore?

I'd like a book store to sell a combination of new and used books, kept in an orderly fashion, not a dozen copies of one in particular. Also a selection of hardback or trade paperback in the same titles.

This store down in New Orleans is Great. McKeown's Books and Difficult Music
The lady that runs it is knowledgeable, but doesn't push herself on the customer at all. The customer is approached at entering the store, and she makes herself unobtrusively available for questions should there be any.

I hate pushy sales people, they'll drive me out of a store faster than almost anything.

If we ever manage to open a book store, that's what I'd like ours to aspire to.

Don't get me wrong, I buy from Amazon quite a bit and I like them very much, just not for books. Most of the titles they have seem to come from someone selling THROUGH Amazon and not from their stock directly. Also, like others have said, I prefer to be able to browse through titles myself to find an interesting read. I like to pick up a book, sit down and read a page or two before I purchase it. The only time I buy online is when I already know exactly what I want and I usually buy books online

{advertising link removed}

Last edited by a moderator:
I am more of a library person so for me, neatly stacked books, arranged as per their category seems a good idea. As commented above I also love to buy from amazon as I can browse through their endless collections for ages before I finally decide to buy one. But feeling a book in your hand and meticulously going through its blurb is still a very satisfying activity for me. So I would prefer a used book store with some space to sit down and browse. But sadly the used bookstores I have been to are quite cramped and hardly seemed inviting. So I prefer getting my books online.

Hm, I guess I am the only one that likes disorderly shops? Some of my favorite bookshops look like a maze, with books stacked everywhere, no particular order or some system only the owner of the shop understands :) Maybe because I am a browser and like picking up things with no forethought, usually based on covers.

I also like shops with helpful, friendly staff that let you browse without following you about chattering away. A quick hello and are you looking for something particular is enough :)

Hm, I guess I am the only one that likes disorderly shops? Some of my favorite bookshops look like a maze, with books stacked everywhere, no particular order or some system only the owner of the shop understands :) Maybe because I am a browser and like picking up things with no forethought, usually based on covers.

I also like shops with helpful, friendly staff that let you browse without following you about chattering away. A quick hello and are you looking for something particular is enough :)

no that is the best kind of second hand bookstore but real annoying when you are looking for something in particular and just want to be able to go straight there and find it quick.

I also want staff who know which way is up - but that is a general complaint for all stores.

I'm very fond of second hand bookshops but I never look for specific books inside them.

Yeah I do sometimes when I've been looking for part 5 of a series that is not for sale in a book store because they don't carry much that is not current 'hot' stuff.

These days online bookstore are getting much popular among people like every kind books are available on them even at less prices. All i prefer to buy books from where i get huge discount, a book i m looking for, cash on delivery, and fast shipping service so i just order from there and enjoy at my place. :)

Back