• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

What does your avatar mean & why did you choose it?

With so much talk about avatars, I'm making this post which is not about my avatar but about the word 'avatar' and how appropriate it is.

I wish there were internet forums and computer games with avatars a couple of decades ago.
I had struggled to explain the concept of avatar in Hinduism to someone who found the pantheon of gods bewildering.
The conversations went something like this:

She: “How can you have so many gods?”
I: “We don’t actually. They’re mainly avatars.”
She: “What does that mean?”
I: “Well, they are the forms taken by God for a specific purpose.”
She: “So many forms?”
I: “Yes. Human beings have a multitude of needs and…fears.”
She: “You have some avatars in animal forms too.”
I: “Yes. Such avatars go to show that all life form is sacred.

… … … … …

We had four or five such conversations. I kept repeating that the ‘gods’ were worshiped in their own right but were ‘avatars.’ A hindu would worship scores of gods but he would also affirm in the trinity of Bramha-Vishnu-Mahesh.

Anyway, this post is not about Hinduism but about avatars.

Today, even a child will understand that he and his avatar are the same, yet he is not his avatar but he may be recognized by his avatar and, he can have any number of avatars.:)

That's very interesting. So, in the context avatar is being used in this thread, instead of being the manifestation of God on Earth, it is the manifestation of humans on the internet!

I'm going to take that to mean we are all Gods on the internet!

As for the polar bear, that's a picture I took at the zoo. The memories makes it extra special. And it's adorable!

I blame EarthPix on Twitter for my new avatar. How could I not switch to it. It's a baby sloth holding its stuffed giraffe. The cute it burns!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I have two reasons for this avatar:

1) My daughter LOVES everything flowers and sunflowers are her favorite. We found this patch of them together so when I see it, it makes me think of her :)

2) I ended up using some sunflower photos we took together on the cover of my latest work and so I use it right now to help promo that on my blog and FB and now I just use it for consistency LOL

My avatar is a still photo of the fictional Randy Watson, lead singer for the band "Sexual Chocolate" from my favorite funny movie, Coming To America.
The band's name, the jeri curl, the suit, the ridiculous singing, all combined to become one of my favorite scenes in the history of movies.

My avatar is a still photo of the fictional Randy Watson, lead singer for the band "Sexual Chocolate" from my favorite funny movie, Coming To America.
The band's name, the jeri curl, the suit, the ridiculous singing, all combined to become one of my favorite scenes in the history of movies.

Heh, I thought your avatar was Rick James.

You used to get down like that?? :D
Anyway there is nothing funnier than a drippy jeri curl. (in my opinion)

Lol ooh yeah, I used to get down like that every Saturday in winter months. I'm old school. lol Even now I still pull out those same moves (minus the wheels) , get down and boogie to some Grand Funk Railroad, Stevie Wonder, Rick James, Ohio Players, etc etc. I dj often and love all tuneage, but them old school jams can't be beat when you want to get your groove on. muahahaha

Insightful thread! I would always secretly wonder about people's avatar pics. They reveal a little something about us & people are so interesting.
My little buddy- a green cheek parakeet- tends to be my avatar. He's cute and fuzzy, I'm not so cute and fuzzy! o_O

Back