• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

What exactly does a PH'd mean anymore ???

Motokid

After reading this I am wondering if the whole world has gone belly up?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/wales/4737829.stm

Every time I hear that some f'n actor, or famous person has been "awarded" and honorary PH'd from some University I get a bit ticked-off, but this takes the cake. To me, it really smacks in the face of people who actually "earn" such a degree.

Should there be a limit on what you can get credentials in? Should ths idiot be refered to as Doctor.....?

Motokid said:
After reading this I am wondering if the whole world has gone belly up?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/wales/4737829.stm

Every time I hear that some f'n actor, or famous person has been "awarded" and honorary PH'd from some University I get a bit ticked-off, but this takes the cake. To me, it really smacks in the face of people who actually "earn" such a degree.

Should there be a limit on what you can get credentials in? Should ths idiot be refered to as Doctor.....?

When an actor gets an honorary PHD, I believe it stands for Piled High and Deep.

For me the cake was taken when Göran Persson the prime minister of Sweden was made an honorary doctor.

aimg.photobucket.com_albums_v68_Wolhay_goranp.jpg

I'm doing a PhD at the moment and it my subject (international politics) is looked down upon by some in the science environment because it's a so-called softer subject. However, I disagree with this because I'm working really hard on it and put in more hours than many scientists that I know. The problem is that you have to make sure your thesis is relevant somehow. There no longer seems to be any pride in learning to acquire knowledge and this view is reinforced by government funding for PhDs in the UK. I'm lucky enough to have funding but I doubt if an air guitar thesis would qualify. I think the methodology of such a thesis would be tough to work out. Good luck to her though.

clara the lady thats doing a thesis in air guiter was on gmtv this morning she couldnt get funding,so she works three jobs to fund herself! :)

Not to sound harsh...but "good luck to her" ????? Are you crazy? I hope she falls flat on her face...and as a mater of fact, just the recognition she's received to date is beyond rational explanation. Everybody, including you, and expecially you, should be laughing in her face at the very mention of a doctorate in Air-Goddamn-Guitar....

I'm sure there are loads of people with PhDs that would condemn an air guitar thesis but there are loads of PhDs on subjects that seem odd. Part of the problem is that you have to create original research and, in some areas, that is quite difficult to do. Also, if she's not getting funding (thanks Ruby) she's having to work really hard to get herself through it. Although the subject seems odd, it won't be an easy PhD. She's going to have to work really hard for at least three years and get through a viva at the end of it.

I know I'm asking to be hammered here but I really don't have a problem with what she's doing. I think she's going to have more of a gender slant than just writing about air guitar and I expect that will mean the application of theory, concepts etc. So it won't be that different from many humanities/social science PhDs.

Motokid said:
Not to sound harsh...but "good luck to her" ????? Are you crazy? I hope she falls flat on her face...and as a mater of fact, just the recognition she's received to date is beyond rational explanation. Everybody, including you, and expecially you, should be laughing in her face at the very mention of a doctorate in Air-Goddamn-Guitar....
Dont be mean this lady is working bloody hard to do something that she enjoys,and paying for it herself! good luck to her! :)

"Air Guitar"

.....it's faking doing something....it's an act of a drunk at a bar....

How about if she actually learned how to play the damn guitar and then got her PhD in music?????

Maybe I should go for a PhD in "air medicine"? I can mimick being a doctor....
and my patients can pay me for faking to administer doctoring services....I wonder if insurance would cover it????

I'm losing my mind..... :(

Motokid said:
"Air Guitar"

.....it's faking doing something....it's an act of a drunk at a bar....

How about if she actually learned how to play the damn guitar and then got her PhD in music?????

Maybe I should go for a PhD in "air medicine"? I can mimick being a doctor....
and my patients can pay me for faking to administer doctoring services....I wonder if insurance would cover it????

I'm losing my mind..... :(
Dr motokid you have me pissin myself :)

ruby said:
Dr motokid you have me pissin myself :)

A) You probably need to make a trip to the good Doctor Motokid

B) what kind of insurance do you have?

C) Go now and deposit urine in appropriate area

D) take two Tylenol

E) call me in the morning is symptems continue

F) mail me check right now for services rendered, that'll be $100.00 US
(rates will increase once I have PhD certification....)

I have decided to change my PhD plans....I want a Phd in air photography...I'll concentrate on female swimsuit models and female nude modeling....don't mind that I have no camera...it's air photography....don't the air pictures look great !!!!

My fee is $100.00 an hour.....

Check out this air photo:

smashing isn't it....I am well on my way...they look like "C" cups, but they are really "B's" that's why I am so good at my craft....

You won't be laughing at me when you see my air photo's gracing the pages of Playboy and Sports Illustrated.....I may have to go on tour to tropical places..but that's the price an air photographer has to pay for fame and fortune....

Here's a recent air photo of Jennashleagorspamzilla:

She's so friggin hot...... :D

"You agree that you will not use The Book Forum to post any material which is knowingly false and/or defamatory, inaccurate, abusive, vulgar, hateful, harassing, obscene, profane, sexually oriented, threatening, invasive of a person's privacy, or otherwise violative of any law."

Back