• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

What exactly does a PH'd mean anymore ???

Miss Shelf said:
ask her if she gives family discounts, in case she marries your brother!

Like I don't take my dog with me when I go to visit!

I ain't waiting for his sorry ass to marry her! My dog will be dead by then!

well, I wasn't thinking of pet services. :rolleyes: If she's claiming to be a medical doctor, she should put her money where her mouth is! :D

Isn't there some kind of ethics that vets can't treat the pets of their family-like doctors aren't supposed to treat family members?

Miss Shelf said:
...she should put her money where her mouth is! :D

Isn't there some kind of ethics that vets can't treat the pets of their family-like doctors aren't supposed to treat family members?

Why would she want to stick money into my brother's ear? eeewww!

I haven't heard of the "family" rule. I think it would be stupid to pay a doctor to do what you can do yourself. That would be like saying it is improper for a mechanic to fix her own car :confused:

snicker @ miss shelf and leckert!

Anywho, did you know that veterinary school is harder to get into than medical school? (at least, here in the States)

cajunmama said:
snicker @ miss shelf and leckert!

Anywho, did you know that veterinary school is harder to get into than medical school? (at least, here in the States)

That's what Cindy was telling me (brother's girlfriend).

I was surprised.

I wonder if it is a regional thing? I mean, I wonder if it is easier to get into Vet school in say Montana than in DC?

cajunmama said:
I think that's got more to do with demand than anything. More people want to be vets than doctors. Veteranary medicine is very challenging as well - instead of being an expert on one species who have to be an expert in many!!

I'd rather be a vet than a doctor. At least the patients can't talk back to you. Sure, they might bite but at least you don't have to listen to them! :D

Zolipara said:
The work done is more important than the actual subject.
I really don't care how much work she does. Getting a PhD in air guitar is just plain stupid and I still believe that it lowers the whole status.

Lemming said:
I don't want to be too pedantic MonkeyCatcher, and I'm not sure how it works in New Zealand. But in England my friends studying the seven year medicine degree at my university will not get a Ph.D, but in fact get two Bachelor degrees.
I'm pretty sure that you get a PhD here after 7 years of medical school here, as that's all you need to become a G.P and they have PhD's.

So in fact you will have the same title, i.e. you will both be able to start your name with 'Dr' but your methods of achieving that title will be different.
Methods of achieving, yes. Actual subject? No. But it's obvious that methods of achieveing would vary from country to country, at least I would have thought.

MonkeyCatcher said:
I'm pretty sure that you get a PhD here [New Zealand] after 7 years of medical school here, as that's all you need to become a G.P and they have PhD's.

I suppose it just works differently in different countries. It's just one of those strange things that GP's in Britain called themselves doctor when they have no Ph.D.

Miss Shelf said:
I'd rather be a vet than a doctor. At least the patients can't talk back to you. Sure, they might bite but at least you don't have to listen to them! :D

She was also telling me that she doesn't pay nearly as much for malpractice insurance as a human doctor.

And she gets to stick her hand up cows' butts! the best of both worlds!

Edit: I guess she is a human doctor, but her patients aren't human! :D (funny faux pas!)

Lemming said:
I suppose it just works differently in different countries. It's just one of those strange things that GP's in Britain called themselves doctor when they have no Ph.D.
Are they allowed to have the Dr. replacing the Mrs/Mr/Miss?

MonkeyCatcher said:
I really don't care how much work she does. Getting a PhD in air guitar is just plain stupid and I still believe that it lowers the whole status.

People get PhD for tons of useless subjects. But the subject does not matter. You are not judged on the basis of the subject but on how you went about to gather information and write your thesis. What matters is how you gather information, how you view this information and how you draw your conclusions from this information. You learn a lot from the process of writing your thesis no matter what the subject is. And thats the important part of the PhD program. The subject only matters to those that might consider funding your research.

Zolipara said:
People get PhD for tons of useless subjects.
I would love to know some of those useless subjects that might qualify as more useless than "air guitar".....or even of equal uselessness....

As i said the subject does not matter and what is more/less useless than air guitar is a subjective opinion. But i know people that write their PhD thesis about The Simpsons. How about a thesis about the importance of beards in hierarchical seniority and how the lack of beards may hinder women in their careers? These are just some examples i can remember at the time. I'm sure you can find more if you can find lists of current research projects at the Universitys around the world. Most of these never gets any attention from the media but it does not make them more important than air guitar.

Zolipara said:
As i said the subject does not matter and what is more/less useless than air guitar is a subjective opinion.

I have to disagree with you, Z...

The uselessness of Air Guitar is not subjective!

:D

Back