• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

What fiction book do you keep reading over and over?

For me it's 'The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy', simply because it is one of the few novels that can make me laugh, not once, not twice, but on every page.

Also, 'The Lord of the Rings' is one I'm capable of reading once every year without growing tired of it.

And besides those, I have tons of books I'd like to reread, but I always grab the ones I haven't read, and when those run out I'll go back to the old ones.

Cheers, Martin :D

The Martian Chronicles by Ray Bradbury.

I find it endlessly fascinating how people start out on grand discovery missions with a sense of adventure and the best of intentions, only to ruin things by turning a foreign place into another version of where they left.

"Chikara" by Robert Skimin... I can't remember how many times I have read it, maybe a bit too much, because it's falling apart. :( I do love it because of how big of a story it seems..looking at so many people, and so many things. The ending to me, is great, and the characters are wonderful. I want a hardback copy so badly....

Anne of Green Gables Series and other books by Montgomery...for me - full of wonderful charm and humour.

Besides, I'm used to getting back to the books which I liked. I usually don't read them from beginning to end - I only read those scenes, which I particularly admired and enjoyed. The same with comics. Sometimes I feel like I know my favourite pages almost by heart!

Lord of the Rings, The Great Gatsby and Steppenwolf

I had read LOTR twice before I heard the movies come out, and since I have reread them twice. Maybe I'll make a point of reading them annually, like Christopher Lee claimed in an interview.

Maybe I'll read them to my kids some day.

And I read the Great Gatsby as an assigment in high school, again my freshmen year of college, and again my senior year of college.

And since I have read it at the beach a few times. It's a good weekend read since it's short and not really challenging to read.

A lot of what people consider challenging literature is challenging because it isn't written well. Gatsby may be the finest example of prose ever. Very clean.

And I love Steppenwolf. It was recommended to me in college and I really identified with it, but I've read it a few times since, and it always changes. It's like the Neverending Story.

Also, there's a children's book called The Phantom Tollbooth that sat in my bathroom for several years and I read it a bunch of times. Great book. Kind of like Alice in Wonderland meets Shell Silverstine (sp?)

Hey wow, a fellow Vonnegut-fan! Cheers to you, man!

Just wanted to say that. I have nothing else to say, really. Well maybe... nah...

Cheers, Martin :D

I do not read many books over and over again, as I am always finding new ones that grab my attention. The one book that always sits in by bedside table and that I pick up to read often, is Jane Eyre. I don't always read all of it but I will work my way through it a couple times a year. The book is like a comfortable or safe place for me, I know what will happen, I know the people.

Originally posted by Jillean
I do not read many books over and over again, as I am always finding new ones that grab my attention. The one book that always sits in by bedside table and that I pick up to read often, is Jane Eyre. I don't always read all of it but I will work my way through it a couple times a year. The book is like a comfortable or safe place for me, I know what will happen, I know the people.

I know how you feel, because I am exactly the same about reading Pride and Prejudice. It would have to be one of my all time favourites.

Books i have read multiple times include -

The Harry Potter series
The Hitchhickers Guide & Dirk Gently books
American Gods by Neil Gaiman
The action books of Matthew Reilly

...and probably lots more :p

I quite often re-read books, even if i have new ones waiting to be read, i find it can be very comforting to go back into a familiar literary universe :)

Phil

Robert Jordan's The Wheel of Time series. In order to keep track of everything, I have to read it over and over again. This time through, I making my own glossary file to keep it straight.

I've read the Far Pavillions a few times, too. Same for the Thorn Birds and the Mists of Avalon.

Superlibrarian mentioned The Handmaid's Tale by Atwood. Read carefully, that is one of the scariest books I've ever read.

Enders Game by Orson Scott Card. After reading the book the first time, I picked it back up and started reading again. Now that is definitely a book you can reread at least once.

Most books I don't read over. I have so many other books waiting to be read, I don't want to waste time. I have read Anne of Green Gabels multiple times, as well as Tom Sawyer, Texas series from Fern Michaels. I want to go back and read "Fall on your Knees" again after hearing Ann Marie MacDonald speak tonight on her new book (that one I am reading first).

Jane Eyre, Pride and Prejudice -- both a yes definitely!

Also, Candide. I read it the 1st time at 15 and it's been the best sum-up of my philosophy since.

There is a lot of books, that I read over and over again: Pride and prejudice, a lot crime novels like Dorothy Sayers, Ngaio Marsh, Elizabeth George.

But there is one (or rather three) book(s) I read at least once a year, and have been for the last 20 years or more: Tolkien: Lord of the Rings.

Hobitten

Originally posted by Strife220
The Slaughterhouse Five by Vonnegut. Over and over and over and over and over.

An acquired taste that I could not acquire I'm afraid. It's often spoken of in the same breath as Catch 22, but I couldn't get to like that either. Each to their own I guess.

I tend to return again and again to the nineteenth century classics by the likes of Austen and Dickens. Especially with the latter, they are such big books, with so many characters, that reading them feels fresh each time.

Hmmm there are so many that I love and re-read over and over.

The Thorn Birds
The Harry Potter Series
Agatha Christie books
Anything by John Grisham
Anything by Edward Rutherfurd

Angela's Ashes, by Frank McCourt. A true story about his childhood growing up poor and catholic, in Ireland.
he WON the Pulitzer Prize.

Back