• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

What is fun?

fun (fŭn) n. 1. A source of enjoyment, amusement, or pleasure.

Personally I say that if it brings a smile to your face then it is fun (provided you're not a sociopath).

It's a personal thing.....................

Some people think fun is spending their day hitting a small ball into 18 holes on a golf course. Or sitting by a river trying to catch a fish.

Others will think its fun shooting deer or other animals.

Kids will have fun pulling the legs off spiders.

Lots of people seem to have fun eating and eating and eating and eating until they are very big.

In my country stabbing other people seemd to be fun amount some gangs of teenagers.

......................I could go on but I think you may understand what I am getting at...............oh and worst of all there are some people who get fun from reading Sue Townsend books :eek: :rolleyes:

I don't think of the things which you describe as fun, more like personal enjoyment. Is enjoyment the same as fun?

Sue Townsend is great btw. I've read all her books. 'Adrian Mole and the Weapons of Mass Destruction' and 'Re-building Coventry' are two of my favourites. What have you got against her? I suppose you must be one of those pretentious fibbers who say 'Ulysses' is the best book they have read.

So, come on - tell me what is fun for you?

Sue Townsend is great btw. I've read all her books. 'Adrian Mole and the Weapons of Mass Destruction' and 'Re-building Coventry' are two of my favourites. What have you got against her? I suppose you must be one of those pretentious fibbers who say 'Ulysses' is the best book they have read.

I was winding you up about Sue Townsend, I was having a bit of fun at your expense :p

You can enjoy a cup of coffee - but you wouldn't call it fun, would you sparky?

Yes it's fun getting the better of someone chris. But doesn't that confirm we are a race of sociopaths? ( not necessarily violent ones!)

I'm under the impression 'fun' is as misused a word as 'love,' ie., 'fun run.' What the f**k? How can those two words ever be used together?
Or 'I love my new curtains.'

I thought water fights or food fights, but again there is the aim of beating someone.

The only free, harmless fun I can think of is sledging down a snowy hill on a tin tea tray, or sliding behind your supermarket trolley after a short run.

There must be more to life than this. More ideas please.

Yes it's fun getting the better of someone chris. But doesn't that confirm we are a race of sociopaths?
No.

I'm under the impression 'fun' is as misused a word

You would only think that it is misused if you are not able to see how someone could derive fun from something that to you is not fun.

For example many people in Spain will have a fun day out watching others kill a bull in cold blood, after taunting it for half an hour or more.

They will have as much fun as you would have in the snow on a tin tray.

A picnic could also be hell angerball!;)

The lady who is full of fun - how?

What is it which makes something FUN? Dictionaries don't say do they?

You can enjoy a cup of coffee - but you wouldn't call it fun, would you sparky?

If it comes in a silly cup then sure.

I'm under the impression 'fun' is as misused a word as 'love,' ie., 'fun run.' What the f**k? How can those two words ever be used together?
Or 'I love my new curtains.'

Some people do enjoy running and calling an event a fun run would be appropriate especially when the people that enter fun runs are the type that enjoy running. Whether and activity or an object is fun is a totally personal decision.

I thought water fights or food fights, but again there is the aim of beating someone.

So? Playing tennis or chess is fun even though in the end there is a winner and a loser.

The only free, harmless fun I can think of is sledging down a snowy hill on a tin tea tray, or sliding behind your supermarket trolley after a short run.

There must be more to life than this. More ideas please.

You must live a life of limited experiences.

Free, harmless fun:

skipping stones on a lake
leapfrogging parking meters
swinging on a rope across a stream
climbing a tree
reading a book
doodling
playing fetch with a dog
playing with a toddler

A picnic could also be hell angerball!;)

The lady who is full of fun - how?

What is it which makes something FUN? Dictionaries don't say do they?

A picnic isn't my idea of fun either; the whole thing was taken from Dictionary.com. ;)

I think it's entirely subjective, as a lot of people on here have said.

How about this definition from Wikipedia (can you believe they have an entry on 'fun'??):

Recreation or fun is the expenditure of time in a manner designed for therapeutic refreshment of one's body or mind. While leisure is more likely a form of entertainment or rest, recreation is active for the participant but in a refreshing and diverting manner. As people in the world's wealthier regions lead increasingly sedentary life styles, the need for recreation has increased. The rise of so called active vacations exemplifies this.

Everybodies meaning is probably different.A simple word made more confusing . What might be fun for me ( playing with my daughter,or going for tennis with my son) is probably boring for someeone else:)

Everybodies meaning is probably different.A simple word made more confusing . What might be fun for me ( playing with my daughter,or going for tennis with my son) is probably boring for someeone else:)

True. To an adrenalin jockey, anything less then skydiving or rock climbing might be boring.

To me, riding a motorcycle is a lot of fun, and turns so tight that the foot peg scrapes the ground is even more fun.

Back