• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

What is the cheapest e-book reader on the market?

stevesmith

I have searched and searched but it seems to me the cheapest is Sony's reader at about $120. Now, I realize electronics are expensive, but what makes an e-book reader so expensive?

I have searched and searched but it seems to me the cheapest is Sony's reader at about $120. Now, I realize electronics are expensive, but what makes an e-book reader so expensive?

They are new. Plus I suspect licensing the eInk technology isn't cheap.

It may not be the cheapest eReader, but the one with the most value is, I think, the iPad. For about $500, you get iBooks, Nook, Kindle, and Barnes & Noble eReader apps, plus other eReader apps, for free. Not to mention everything else the iPad does.

It may not be the cheapest eReader, but the one with the most value is, I think, the iPad. For about $500, you get iBooks, Nook, Kindle, and Barnes & Noble eReader apps, plus other eReader apps, for free. Not to mention everything else the iPad does.

That's gotta be one of the silliest tings I have ever read.

For close to half the price you can get a Nook color and put Android on it and have something more than an iPad.

That's gotta be one of the silliest tings I have ever read.

For close to half the price you can get a Nook color and put Android on it and have something more than an iPad.

I'm not familiar with the Android, and I did say, I think, as in, my opinion. :whistling:

You can take the Nook color, load the Android operating system on it and make it into a more versatile tablet (and run Android apps!).

I'm a gadget lover, so I'll have to look into it. I jumped on the iPad when they came out, since I already had the iPhone.

I've heard of it, I'm not familiar with it. I've yet to play with one. What can it do that my iPad can't do?

This is the first time I've seen the iPad refered to as an e-reader.
I thought an e-reader had to be something that used an e-ink (electronick paper) type 'screen', iPad dosn't.

So what's the advantage of using one of these over an Android based Pad PC then?

To me e-reader = e-ink device, otherwise why have a separate device?

eInk technologies only use battery power when the screen is refreshed. I don't know of any Android based eInk readers. Maybe the Nook but I am not sure.

So what's the advantage of using one of these over an Android based Pad PC then?
Direct access to a book shop. Otherwise, very little, since the Nook Color is basically just a castrated Android device.

To me e-reader = e-ink device, otherwise why have a separate device?
I guess the point of using an iPad/Android tablet is that you don't need a separate device - you have your tablet computer (whatever you need that for, but people seem to like them) and your e-reader in one. Personally I much prefer reading on an e-ink screen while listening to my iPod, but to each his own.

Yes, that and the readability of the e-ink screen is what defines an e-reader to me.
I'm assuming the colour ones use LCD/TFT type screens that are prone to glare, and need to constantly use the battery to keep continually refreshed.

Color eInk is not ready for prime time so yes, the color eReaders out there are backlit and operate the same as any other color display.

Temporary interruption for on-topic, maybe. Borders Kobo black-and-whites are available for $99 with coupon. Sounds like clearance to me. And who would actually buy such an antedeluvian device, especially with Borders own future in doubt?

Us. :)

:flowers:

Temporary interruption for on-topic, maybe. Borders Kobo black-and-whites are available for $99 with coupon. Sounds like clearance to me. And who would actually buy such an antedeluvian device, especially with Borders own future in doubt?

Us. :)

:flowers:

Really?

For $40 more you could have gotten the Kindle.

Is it the WiFi version?

Given the state of Borders, this would have given me pause:
You'll need a Borders.com account to purchase and sync eBooks with your eReader.

Anyhoo, looking forward to your reviews and impressions.

Back