• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

What is the cheapest e-book reader on the market?

Everything you say is true, Sparky.

But, yes it is the WiFi version.

And I guess there was just something magical about the $100 price point. And there were actually some books among the 100 free that I/we were interested in reading. :eek: That finally tipped the scales.

As if we didn't already have more books than we can read, and weren't already far behind in doing that. :sick:

$99.99 does seem to be the magic point.

On those 100 free books: I am willing to bet they are all titles readily available on Project Gutenberg.

Oh, and there is no such thing as too many books. :D

$99.99 does seem to be the magic point.

On those 100 free books: I am willing to bet they are all titles readily available on Project Gutenberg.

Oh, and there is no such thing as too many books. :D

Yes, indeed, you win! The ones we have called up are from Project Gutenberg.

Re your last point, we may soon find out. But the thought of 100+ books on the shelf, so to speak, in 1/4 of an inch is beginning to have its attractions. (Two more bookcases will soon be arriving -- one being delivered in a few minuutes.)

And a wild thought! These things we are talking about might more properly be called book "presenters" which we the readers read. If there were an ear or pocket-sized device that actually read the book to you, while exercising for example, that is something I could really get interested in -- to replace the current combination of text file and text reader software that one can download from online for one's computer. That would be a real "e-reader!"

And a wild thought! These things we are talking about might more properly be called book "presenters" which we the readers read. If there were an ear or pocket-sized device that actually read the book to you, while exercising for example, that is something I could really get interested in -- to replace the current combination of text file and text reader software that one can download from online for one's computer. That would be a real "e-reader!"

They have that. It's called an iPod.

I just bought a 6th Generation Nano to replace my 1st Generation Nano.

Nope, any MP3 player will play an audiobook.

Audible Audiobooks plus there are a few free sites floating around out there.

Um, yes for audio books and mp3 files. I was thinking more of starting with a .txt file and having the nice text-to-speech computer voice read it to me. In the meantime though, audio books and ipods are what I should explore. Thanks for the suggestions and the link.

Ah, they have those too but as much as I think it would be way cool to hear Stephen Hawking read me a book, I think a proper audiobook would sound better.

Ah, they have those too but as much as I think it would be way cool to hear Stephen Hawking read me a book, I think a proper audiobook would sound better.

Yes, again. From my experience of hearing text-to-speech on a few occasions, and having a few audio books around here, the natural speech of a human reader is certainly superior. Hearing Sylvia Plath read her own poetry is an experience not to be missed.

But I wander.

To be fair, text to speech converters are much better than thay used to be. But still no match for a profesionaly read audio-book.

I think I remember playing around with an Android text to speech converter some time last year; can't remember the name though, bad memory; check the Android store.

We have a big (origonal) Ipod, and a smaller one (video something, or something video: I think) don't really use ether...

The text-to-speech function on the Kindle is actually pretty good. Not good enough to fool anyone that it's a real person, but good enought that audiobook publishers tried to have it banned.

To be fair, text to speech converters are much better than thay used to be. But still no match for a profesionaly read audio-book.

I think I remember playing around with an Android text to speech converter some time last year; can't remember the name though, bad memory; check the Android store.

We have a big (origonal) Ipod, and a smaller one (video something, or something video: I think) don't really use ether...

The Android app I use is the TTS Service Extended (I don't use it but it is a required app to use Google translate). It is OK but you know it's not a real person.

It may not be the cheapest eReader, but the one with the most value is, I think, the iPad. For about $500, you get iBooks, Nook, Kindle, and Barnes & Noble eReader apps, plus other eReader apps, for free. Not to mention everything else the iPad does.

Good point. I have always thought of the kindle, but never really thought it out the way you just did. With the Ipad, you can get it all and you still have the Ipad with its other possibilities.

I would love to have the inside scoop on when the 3rd generation Nook will become available and what new features it will offer ebook readers.

I recently got a Kobo for a gift from my mother-in-law. She paid $59 for it in MA. I noticed earlier postes about the price at $99 being the magic number, think we got that beat now.

Back