• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

What is the darkest most disturbing book?

buddi said:
Also, it's probably not quite what you are looking for, but there's a gruesome scene in Jude the Obscure by Thomas Hardy that made me gasp and drop the book. (How do you do that spoiler/blackout thing?)

Yeah, THAT scene. It's the biggest reason I won't read any more Hardy.

Spoiler tags [*spoiler] insert your spoiler here [*/spoiler]

only without the *'s.

I'll put in a 3rd vote for Iain Banks' The Wasp Factory. One of the few novels that actually made me moan out loud.

Headhunter by Michael Slade (pseudonym for two writers, one an expert on the criminally insane). This is a serial killer novel, a genre that has been so watered down over the years, but this very much disturbed me. It also hit me like a bag of bricks.

Of course I have to mention Silence of the Lambs, my fave...

Outside the Rules by Dylan Jones is very hard to find, also disturbed the heck out of me...also a serial killer novel, one of the finest I've read; could not put it down.

The Mermaids Singing by Val McDermid. Excellent read and very dark, yes.

The Exorcist by William Peter Blatty. If this doesn't disturb you nothing will.

by far the most horrific book ive ever picked up was American Psycho
im surprised no-one's mentioned it. daaaaaark.
i didnt enjoy it at all actuallly just kinda got transfixed. the guys style is dry i got the point after a while but his continual neurotic descriptions just did my head in

i dont think ive ever not been able to finish a book cos it was too rank>>but this 1? too nasty for me

when he gets the rat out razzzzz i had to put it down
span me out

try that book fezzy - serious

Karen said:
I found James Herbert's The Others very disturbing. I don't want to say much about it but more than once I had to put it down and take a couople of deep breaths. I wouldn't say I get disturbed by books very often, I read a lot of true crime etc. that is obviously upsetting but this book even though fiction really turned my stomach.....Karen :eek:

Did that get turned into a movie with the same title starring Nicole Kidman?

oldboy said:
by far the most horrific book ive ever picked up was American Psycho
im surprised no-one's mentioned it. daaaaaark.
i didnt enjoy it at all actuallly just kinda got transfixed. the guys style is dry i got the point after a while but his continual neurotic descriptions just did my head in

i dont think ive ever not been able to finish a book cos it was too rank>>but this 1? too nasty for me

when he gets the rat out razzzzz i had to put it down
span me out

try that book fezzy - serious

That rat scene was the best in the whole book. It made moiling through 20 pages on Ms. W. Houston, almost bearable.

Ou Be Low hoo said:
I found 'Watership Down' to be pretty fooked-up...no joke. Plus, the movie is scary as shiznit.
razz the movie darked me out when iwas a kiddy. waaaaaaaah
dont make me rememebr

i re-read the book again recently funnily enough but didnt find it disturbing at all>>seems i get less affected as i get older. which is a shame

watershipdown3.jpg

:( BRIIIIIGHT EYYES BUUUUUUUURNING LIKE FIIIYAAAAAH

It depends on what you see as dark and disturbing. One of the darkest books i have read is Ivan Turgenev's "Diary of a superfluous man".

M.Gira "The consumer" is disturbing in a completely different way. A collection of extremely cold, dark and grotesque short stories.

Lucy's Child ...Scary

:rolleyes:
Lucy's Child
by Shaun Hutson
Scared the life out of me...
And got into it from 1st page,,,,
also a very good story line to...
http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos...41732/sr=1-1/ref=sr_1_2_1/202-7707836-2791006

A Shaun Hutson psychological horror story.
When her sister Lucy is killed in an accident when four months pregnant, Beth, who is unable to have a child of her own, wants to take on the unborn baby. But through a mentally ill patient, Lucy tries to kill both the baby and Beth.
Well worth a read... :eek:

Hannibal said:
Of course I have to mention Silence of the Lambs, my fave...

Just thought I'd mention. I read the other day that Harris is working on a new Hannibal book that is due out next year. It's working title is Behind the Mask.

I thought his last effort was pretty much a stinker. But that won't stop me from being intrigued enough to pick up the new one when it comes out.

RaVeN

I realize no one has posted in this for over a month, but a book I thought was a bit disturbing (but very, very interesting) was The Story of the Eye by Georges Bataille. It's translated so the wording is kinda weird, but I liked it. And I actually got attached to the psycho characters near the end of the book.

cajunmama said:
Did that get turned into a movie with the same title starring Nicole Kidman?

No. The James Herbert novel was called Others; the Nicole Kidman movie was called The Others. One dealt with reincarnation and freaks while the other dealt with ghosts - they are extremely unrelated.

Back