• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

what is wrong with society

jimthompson

I have not been to US in many years, but I do sometimes see tv from there, as well as read American and British books. I also try to keep up on the news. This is what I do not understand. People seem to have strange ideas, at least to me, of what is important. Like when some movie star breaks up with her boyfriend or gets arrested for DWI. This is considered to be big news. More important than the deaths of hundreds of people. People in the west seem to be obsessed with what different celebrity people, many of whom I never heard of, are doing. Also I recently saw some movies which were very disgusting and depraved about people being tortured. Saw I think was name of this trash. Is this kind of thing popular? It is nothing but people in pain. This is entertainment?
I have personal experience with torture and do not wish to go into it but the fact is I see nothing entertaining in it even in fiction. If there is torture which is part of story then I understand, no problem, but just to watch this for its own sake is sick to me.

I could write a whole volume but my question really is, is this the way society really is now in the west, or perhaps am I only seeing distorted view of life from tv and other media.

Life is cheap. The antics of over privileged and under brained people on the other hand are a source of mirth and they also allow us to feel superior in our judgement of them, no wonder those news stories are more popular.
IMO, societies have always been this way, it's just more in your face now.

The Earth is degenerating these days. Bribery and corruption abound.
Children no longer mind their parents, every man wants to write a book,
and it is evident that the end of the world is fast approaching.
- Assyrian Stone Tablet, 2800BC

There's nothing wrong with society, just get in where you fit in. There is something for everybody. If you don't like celebs, don't read the Life section of the newspaper.

I got a pretty good chuckle out of one of Paris Hilton's arrests when her facebook status updated right after she had been incarcerated. It said that she was going to watch Family Guy and then go to bed.

I do not read any newspaper. Still everywhere I see news, such as satellite tv or internet, the headlines are about celebrities. I do not fit in with society which is why I left it. But this makes me the crazy one, as most people do not do this. However, almost no one will say there is nothing wrong with society. I also am not saying everything about society is bad. My opinion is the last generations were given everything, and have not learned to appreciate the things they have. There is no work ethics or respect for anything. I do not believe society was always like this, and I know for sure the US wasn't.

Our youth now love luxury. They have bad manners, contempt for authority; they show disrespect for their elders and love chatter in place of exercise; they no longer rise when elders enter the room; they contradict their parents, chatter before company; gobble up their food and tyrannize their teachers.
- Socrates (469 BC–399 BC)
I see no hope for the future of our people if they are dependent on frivolous youth of today, for certainly all youth are reckless beyond words... When I was young, we were taught to be discreet and respectful of elders, but the present youth are exceedingly disrespectful and impatient of restraint
- Hesiod (750BC-650 BC)

This is very interesting. apparently history is repeating itself. Good to know since the ancient Greek civilization went all to hell.

I have not been to US in many years, but I do sometimes see tv from there, as well as read American and British books. I also try to keep up on the news. This is what I do not understand. People seem to have strange ideas, at least to me, of what is important. Like when some movie star breaks up with her boyfriend or gets arrested for DWI. This is considered to be big news. More important than the deaths of hundreds of people. People in the west seem to be obsessed with what different celebrity people, many of whom I never heard of, are doing. Also I recently saw some movies which were very disgusting and depraved about people being tortured. Saw I think was name of this trash. Is this kind of thing popular? It is nothing but people in pain. This is entertainment?
I have personal experience with torture and do not wish to go into it but the fact is I see nothing entertaining in it even in fiction. If there is torture which is part of story then I understand, no problem, but just to watch this for its own sake is sick to me.

I could write a whole volume but my question really is, is this the way society really is now in the west, or perhaps am I only seeing distorted view of life from tv and other media.

I think it's manipulation by the media. That's why I don't watch TV. I don't even read the whole story in the newspapers, because then I am influenced by their perception. Only the news titles are important to me, and I keep moving to the next title.

JimThompson: you must live very sheltered or on a private island or summat. Also, the world is not declining quite as fast as you seem to think. I think. :flowers:

Venichhe: Don't you think the titles would also influence your perception of events? They were put there by that same manipulative media so you might as well read the entire article. If only it is to actually know what happened beyond titles such as "flat burned down".

If only it is to actually know what happened beyond titles such as "flat burned down".

But I don't want to know any more beyond "Flat burned down in ____city, 2 died, 5 survived"

I don't want to know how the fire started, who started, what happened to the investigation, not interested, and how is a title such as "Suspect’s Odd Behavior Caused Growing Alarm" treating me to any kind of manipulation?

That sounds like a great way to remain completely ignorant of everything that happens. I'd recommend finding better news sources instead.

I think it's manipulation by the media. That's why I don't watch TV. I don't even read the whole story in the newspapers, because then I am influenced by their perception. Only the news titles are important to me, and I keep moving to the next title.

That's why you must watch Fox news, which isn't biased at all :whistling:

One can certainly find a news source that agrees with one's way of seeing things. That works. :cool:

[AIE: Oops, not quick enough.]

Or realise that not everything is entirely made up of opinions and bias.

You’re entitled to your own opinions. You’re not entitled to your own facts.
- Daniel Patrick Moynihan

Back