• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

What is your favorite genre?

Favorite genre?

• Science Fiction or Fantasy

Votes: 14 36.8%
  • Mystery

Votes: 5 13.2%
  • Horror or Dark Fantasy

Votes: 7 18.4%
  • Romance

Votes: 1 2.6%
  • Mainstream or other (please specify)

Votes: 11 28.9%

• Total voters

Violanthe

Of all the major publishing market genres, which is your favorite? In what section of the book store do you most often find your favorite reads?

I tend to gravitate most toward General Fiction when I'm in a bookstore. There I can find literary fiction, historical fiction, and other things that interest me.

However, if you're talking about what my favorite genre is in general... yikes. That completely depends on my mood. Though I generally enjoy speculative fiction, historical fiction, adventure, and women's lives and relationships more than mysteries or romance. Of course Janet Evanovich and Jennifer Crusie are huge exceptions to this rule, since they make me laugh so hard :p

KristoCat said:
I tend to gravitate most toward General Fiction when I'm in a bookstore. There I can find literary fiction, historical fiction, and other things that interest me.

Same here :)

What they said :)

I read mostly general, historical fiction and I also have been throwing in quite a bit of non-fiction lately, too.

Once upon a time I would have had to flip a coin to choose between sci-fi/fantasy and mystery. I have the reading lists to prove it too. But in the last year or so, that has slowly changed over to literary or mainstream fiction. Too bad the poll does not include non-fiction, as I love that too. I still enjoy my previous favorites, but I find myself pulled toward other sections of the store as well.

Recently I have gravitated toward a lot of historical fiction and non-fiction.

Though at the moment I am reading a collection of Hans Christian Anderson fairy tales.

I tend to hang around a certain genre for quite a while, but then I can change to a different one. Although it has been fantasy/sf for quite some time now. It's just that most mainstream genres can also be found within the fantasy/sf genre, so why switch? ;)

I really like erotic literature... the best places to go for this genre are used book stores; Barnes and Noble, etc... no longer have that section.

My favorite genres are SciFi and fantasy.
But sometimes I will read general fiction for instance right now I'm reading:
( The Last Templar).

My preference is romance, but I like for there to be more than just romance like a good mystery in my books. However that doesn't mean I don't pick up other genres. I like to read mainstream as well

Leeann

I agree that sf&f produces the best mix of other genres. They've always been most willing to experiment.

Fantasy is my favorite, with SF a close section. I quite enjoy historical fiction, though, as well.

Normally when in a bookstore I go to the philosophy section, then the religious studies section (though these days there isn't anything to get there except for hundreds of books about the $#*@!#( DaVinci Code...:rolleyes: ), then poetry, fiction, and history. Occasionally I'll stop for a look in the sci-fi section.

Back