• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

What is your favorite guilty pleasure?

Watching every single episode of Survivor (except two, where we forgot to tape the episode and when the power went off) and The Amazing Race and every summer of Big Brother US and have every episode of Third Watch taped, with several episodes taped multiple times and the ability to say almost every single line of one episode of Third Watch from the second season and the ability to anticipate what a character will say without knowing what the line is (happened during one of the episodes during the final season about a year ago).

I also have an insatiable appetite for Dark Cherry Vanilla Coke right now and I love Strawberries and Creme from Starbucks. I also love coffee and feel awful when I don't go through a day with out some sort of coffee fix.

muggle said:
These are some of the inexpensive wines for "everyday" drinking that I enjoy.

Columbia Crest Grande Estate Merlot -U.S.
Columbia Crest Shiraz - U.S.
Kendall Jackson Merlot - U.S.
Marques de Caceres Rioja - Spain
Alamos Malbec Mendoza - Argentina
Los Vascos Cabernet Sauvignon- Chile
Georges Duboeuf Beaujolais Villages Flower Label - France

Recently I finished my last bottle of a 1982 Chateau Branaire-Ducru Bourdeaux. I at one time had a case of 1982 Branaire-Ducru and a case of 1982 Chateau Bon-Pasteur Bourdeau. The Bon Pasteur goes for anywhere from $450 a bottle to $750 a bottle if it can be found nowadays. I bought both as wine futures when they were still in the cask at about $10 or $12 a bottle. Sadly I have none left.

Muggle, I have a question for you. The Chateau Branaire-Ducru you're speaking of, and the Chateau Bon-Pasteur, what color is it? What kind of distinct flavor does these two wine have? Thanks for your response.

Muggle not sure about the rest of the Nora label, have to check it out when I get home tonight. It is a drier white. I'm not a fan of the sweeter varieties. Whet to a vineyard tour this weekend, Iron Gate vineyards here in North Carolina. Had a great time and picked up a few bottles of their 2004 Char.

How did you get in on the Bon Pasteur wine futures? How exciting.

Barbarella, Queen of the Galaxy. The graphic novels as well as the movie. And that's the guiltiest pleasure I'm ever going to confess to on the Internet.

drmjwdvm said:
Muggle not sure about the rest of the Nora label, have to check it out when I get home tonight. It is a drier white. I'm not a fan of the sweeter varieties. Whet to a vineyard tour this weekend, Iron Gate vineyards here in North Carolina. Had a great time and picked up a few bottles of their 2004 Char.
How did you get in on the Bon Pasteur wine futures? How exciting.
Have you tried any of the Richard Childress wines. I had a bottle while spending a weekend at Ocean Isle and it surprisingly was very good. Can't remember though what it was.

I used to live in Maryland and not too far from Wash, Dc where i bought most of my wine. I still make a few trips a year to Calvert-Woodley wine store in DC. Most years they sell wine futures of the good Bourdeau wines of France. I followed the advice of Robert Parker (Wine Advocate) and bought futures of both Branaire-Ducru and Bon-Pasteur. I still have the invoice and see that I actually paid $10.83 a bottle for the Bon-Pasteur and $10.75 a bottle for the Branaire-Ducru.

eyez0nme. both wines are red. The Bon-Pasteur is a deep purple in color and the Branaire Ducru is a dark ruby color. The Bon-Pasteur was a lush wine with a cherry like fruit. The Branaire-Ducru was very silky with blueberry and raspberry bouquets. (From my tasting notes). Remember that both wines are now past their prime. I had my last bottle of Branaire Ducru a few months ago and was pleasantly surprised how well it held up. I hated to drink it as it was my last bottle of either wine.

Violanthe said:
And I was aiming specifically at guilty pleasures in fiction. I'm not so interested in how much ice cream or margaritas or manicures people indulge in.

But you mentioned TV & Films. We have a forum for that. One thread on one topic is much better than the same topic tailored to each forum.

My guilty pleasure would have to be Tony Hillerman paperbacks at the beach. I've probably read them all.:eek:

I have combined both of the threads here. Since people were discussing books in the General Chat thread and non-book items in the GBD thread it just makes more sense. :D

drmjwdvm said:
My guilty pleasure would have to be Tony Hillerman paperbacks at the beach. I've probably read them all.:eek:
I think that I have also read all of the Tony Hillerman books. Isn't it about time for another one to be released.

muggle said:
Have you tried any of the Richard Childress wines. I had a bottle while spending a weekend at Ocean Isle and it surprisingly was very good. Can't remember though what it was.

I used to live in Maryland and not too far from Wash, Dc where i bought most of my wine. I still make a few trips a year to Calvert-Woodley wine store in DC. Most years they sell wine futures of the good Bourdeau wines of France. I followed the advice of Robert Parker (Wine Advocate) and bought futures of both Branaire-Ducru and Bon-Pasteur. I still have the invoice and see that I actually paid $10.83 a bottle for the Bon-Pasteur and $10.75 a bottle for the Branaire-Ducru.

eyez0nme. both wines are red. The Bon-Pasteur is a deep purple in color and the Branaire Ducru is a dark ruby color. The Bon-Pasteur was a lush wine with a cherry like fruit. The Branaire-Ducru was very silky with blueberry and raspberry bouquets. (From my tasting notes). Remember that both wines are now past their prime. I had my last bottle of Branaire Ducru a few months ago and was pleasantly surprised how well it held up. I hated to drink it as it was my last bottle of either wine.
I wanted to bump this up since the threads merged so that Dogmatix and eyezonme did not miss my answer to their questions. ;)

D.C. really? My hubby and I go to D.C. all the time. It's a short trip for us. I once bought some wine from Jefferson's vineyard, can't remember the name. Meritage maybe? We usually stay in Alexandria and visit the city every day. There is a great theater group in D.C. called Wooly Mammouth Theater Group (they have a web site) that we often see when we are there. We probably go 4-5 times a year.

Jefferson's Vineyard and Winery does have a red wine by the name of Meritage. I frequently pick apples and peaches up on the mountain near the vineyard.

This is the website of Calvert-Woodley wine store in DC. Their prices are very good, especially for the wines on sale.http://www.wineaccess.com/store/calvertwoodley

I bought a bottle of the Nora wine today. Also bought Marques de Caceres Rioja Blanc and Las Brisas, they are also whites.

We need to start a wine topic.

Back