• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

What 's your favourite book character?

watercrystal said:

Fyodor Dostoyevsky's main character from Crime and Punishment. Raskolnikov goes through psychological warfare with himself throughout the book. He theorizes that while most people must obey a set standard of rules, those few exceptional humans in the world are exempt from these rules in order to make the world an overall better place by whatever means necessary. After killing someone that was nothing but a detriment to society to test his theory, his compassion and intellect constantly struggle against one another driving him to the brink of insanity. His redemption can only come from rectifying the dichotomies that lie within him. Dostoyevsky uses him to paint a beautiful picture of the human psyche and conflicts that constantly battle within. The ideas of utilitarianism, humanism, and elitism are depicted throughout the book. And last and perhaps most importantly, the idea that redemption can come from the most unlikely of places, and that sometimes even the strongest most intelligent beings must open themselves up to be helped by someone thought to be far inferior by society. It's a great book, and beautiful characterization.

-True

Prince Andrey is the character in literature that has probably best grabbed hold of me, someone I identified with, where I feel as if what happens to him personally affects me.

Hamlet

:rolleyes: Difficult to answer this question, I have a whole list of favourite characters, but my favourite of all times I think is definitely HAMLET. I never get bored of reading the play, watching the movies and seeing it in different interpretations on the stage. The best image of Hamlet is that of Lawrence Olivier in my opinion, at least so far. I was disappointed by Mel Gibson's Hamlet, though I appreciate Zeffirelli's work a great deal. But I thing we're not in the film adaptations area. Well, I usually get to film at some point in any discussion, sorry.

Thelma said:
:rolleyes: Difficult to answer this question, I have a whole list of favourite characters, but my favourite of all times I think is definitely HAMLET. I never get bored of reading the play, watching the movies and seeing it in different interpretations on the stage. The best image of Hamlet is that of Lawrence Olivier in my opinion, at least so far. I was disappointed by Mel Gibson's Hamlet, though I appreciate Zeffirelli's work a great deal. But I thing we're not in the film adaptations area. Well, I usually get to film at some point in any discussion, sorry.

Yes, Hamlet is great! Have you seen the movie version by kenneth branner? That was wonderful. It's unabridged and so over 4 hours long.

True@1stLight said:
Fyodor Dostoyevsky's main character from Crime and Punishment. -True

Thank you, True. I bought this book many years ago, but never finished it after reading the first two chapters and getting to know the basic storyline of it.That was why character's name seemed so very unfamiliar :eek: .

Prince Andry Bolkonsky is attractive.

I'd have to vote for Tolkien's Frodo and Sam together.

Richard Sharpe from Bernard Cornwell's Sharpe series has also proved very entertaining.

Definitely Christoffer Boone from The Curious Incident of The Dog in The Night-Time. He is a fifteen year old guy and has Aspenger's Syndrome. I want to marry him <3

I was disappointed by Mel Gibson's Hamlet

Really?! :confused: That was my absolutely favorite adaptation of that role. I thought he did a superb job as the melancholy-bordering-on-insane prince. Ah, well. To each his own view! :p

Hmm. My favorite characters:

Nero Wolfe (from the Rex Stout mystery series)
Harry Dresden (from the Jim Butcher fantasy series)
Victory Nelson (from the Tanya Huff paranormal series)
Hercule Poirot (from the Agatha Christie mystery series)

Cathy

Cathy C said:
Really?! :confused: That was my absolutely favorite adaptation of that role. I thought he did a superb job as the melancholy-bordering-on-insane prince.
I loved him too in this movie (especially him wearing tights! :D ).
Just kidding! In this movie there was a pretty good and convincing Ophelia!

Gerard De Nervalle's "Aurelia" has a strange character. The author is the character and his visions before his death make you sympathy him. Has anyone read it?

Good call

Matt Gordon said:
Skink from many of Carl Hiaasen's books.
I love Hiaasen's work. I'm going to meet the man himself tonight. There's an event to celebrate the release of Skinny Dip at Foyle's in London. Can't wait.

Howard Roark is one of my favourites

Easy Walker from Enderby Outside by Anthony Burgess.

Clay Claw Cleaver Clementine of the Three Glands in
The Onion Eaters by J. P. Donleavy.

Back