• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

What should writers blog about?

SuzieTullett

As a writer, I've often wondered what it is I should be blogging about. Writing skills, tips and hints... my actual writing and writing career... stuff about me the person... or a combination of these?

Obviously everyone has a different take, but after a lot of thought on the matter, in the end I chose the combination approach. I think because it gives the reader an idea as to my style as a writer; it gives them a taste of what to expect from one of my books. And it also gives them a bit of a glimpse as to where I'm coming from as a person, if that makes any sense.

But does everyone agree? When it comes to blogging, should we really keep ourselves as individuals seperate to who we are as writers? Do readers really care what an author is about when it comes to picking up one of their books?

Anyone have any thoughts on the matter?

Suzie x

Suzie Tullett

When I read blogs from authors, I only pay attention to blog entries about books and the craft of writing. I skip the entries about personal stuff. It's fine if writers feel comfortable sharing snippets of their personal lives with blog readers. It's just not something I care to read.

It's interesting isn't it, how we all look for different things in what we read.

As a reader, I'm a bit nosey and like to know a bit about where the writer is coming from... maybe that's because I'm a writer myself and knowing what makes different people tick helps when it comes to developing characters x

I have frequently been disappointed to learn about the private lives of acting celebrities who have created attractive public personas and whom we see only through their artfully created public roles.

Of course, that's acting where appearance is artificial. Writing and authors I'm less sure about, but I would tread carefully. It seems to me your goal should be to present an appealing and approachable personality along with material to arouse people's interest in your books. I am assuming that your interest is in book promotion, rather than self-promotion.

Sorry if that's vague and not very useful, but I am only a reader and not a writer or promoter. Generally speaking, I buy books not personalities.

It's interesting isn't it, how we all look for different things in what we read.

As a reader, I'm a bit nosey and like to know a bit about where the writer is coming from... maybe that's because I'm a writer myself and knowing what makes different people tick helps when it comes to developing characters x

Oh yeah, I enjoy learning about how the writer's personality/personal life has influenced his or her work. I was referring to entries that are along the lines of "Here's what I did today" or "here's stuff about my partner/family". Y'know, stuff that isn't about the writer's work at all. Sometimes, as Peder hinted at in his post, the reader is better off not knowing much about the author as a person.

Back