• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

What would you miss?

Wabbit

If you didn't or couldn't live in the country you are living in now ( and some of you are in this situation! ) then what would you miss from back home?

If I didn't live in the UK then I would miss the skies we have here. We have beautiful skies here because of the clouds. They are always so different and catch the sunlight.

I would miss certain foods. I would miss jaffa cakes, bacon, our chocolate, and pickle. I'm tempted to say marmite but I think I can live without that!

I would miss the liberal and laid back attitude here. What you can do, say, wear, and joke about here you wouldn't be able to in other countries and especially the states.

I would miss certain favourite places such as Greenwich, certain book shops, parks, the river Thames, London, certain places to eat...

What would ( or do you ) miss living away from your home country?

I was in the US for three and a half months recently and I missed British TV, sandwiches without cheese, non-biological washing powder and drains by the side of the road. I know the last one sounds a bit strange and maybe it was peculiar to where I was staying (Maryland) but the roads and pavements got totally flooded in heavy rain. I also missed the familiar terminology of Britain, eg pavements, crisps, washing powder. One of the best things about my trip was that it increased my appreciation for my home country - not that there's anything wrong with the US, it's just different to what I'm used to.

I suppose I would miss the food although most of what I like is "ethnic" and could probably be garnered in other countries. I might also miss the New England folliage in the fall, but I think that is about it.

i would miss winter, tim hortons, the loonie, the twoonie, pool boy bobby, and the street i currently live on.

well, even though canada and the states are pretty similar, and as much as i love living here, i miss the real down to earth, east coast mellowness that there is at home. i miss kitchen parties, tim horton's, dunkin donuts just is not the same, i miss a small coffee being small, i miss the colourful money, i miss the 'u' in words like colour, flavour, neighbour, harbour....i miss the city i used to live in, i miss being able to walk dwontown from my apartment. but most importantly, i miss the beer....you just can't get good beer here....mmm..beeer....

i miss all the people around me, the busy noises, the ability to go anywhere at 3 o'clock in the night, shopping without using the car, not being able to ride my bike...

ricky said:
well, even though canada and the states are pretty similar, and as much as i love living here, i miss the real down to earth, east coast mellowness that there is at home. i miss kitchen parties, tim horton's, dunkin donuts just is not the same, i miss a small coffee being small, i miss the colourful money, i miss the 'u' in words like colour, flavour, neighbour, harbour....i miss the city i used to live in, i miss being able to walk dwontown from my apartment. but most importantly, i miss the beer....you just can't get good beer here....mmm..beeer....

and you miss your sister......

I was in Paris for six weeks a few summers ago, studying abroad. I noticed that peanut butter was a specialty item, and you could only find it in Monoprix (supermarket chain) in the Tex-Mex aisle.... soo bizarre. And people thought I was crazy for trying to make a peanut butter and jelly sandwich, which I craved after a while. So, definitely peanut butter.

Another thing I noticed is the lack of cookies. I mean, the French have lots of great desserts, and sometimes even little thingies they CALLED cookies, but they definitely weren't cookies. American cookies and brownies are the best, they're soft and chewy and buttery and will give you a heart attack just thinking about them... boy I'd miss that. :p

And I'm addicted to American-style coffee. No espresso for me thanks, I need some tasty sugary milky coffee.

On the other hand there were things about America I definitely didn't miss. Sales tax, for instance. Another thing was America's crappy public transportation. Paris's metro system is the BEST.

jenngorham said:
and you miss your sister......
I would take that to mean she has more than one.

I can't really think of anything I would miss if I moved to another country. I plan to try it sometime, so I'll probably find out then.

hay82 said:
I would take that to mean she has more than one.

ha ho hee ha (that's my fake laugh, can you tell?) actually, yes we do have another sister, a half sister and sadly we don't know her very well. making me, the favourite sister.

jenngorham said:
ha ho hee ha (that's my fake laugh, can you tell?) actually, yes we do have another sister, a half sister and sadly we don't know her very well. making me, the favourite sister.

at least this was what she a)believes or b) is told so she won't feel as though she's not

the smell in my house, my sister (did you notice me being very diplomatic?), the lakes, Volleyball, my supermarkets, houses without airconditioning, legal smoking and drinking, parties without police...

honeydevil said:
the smell in my house, my sister (did you notice me being very diplomatic?), the lakes, Volleyball, my supermarkets, houses without airconditioning, legal smoking and drinking, parties without police...

uh, honeyd, you are not helping with the whole 'i'd miss my sister thing.....not helping....!

are you the younger or older sister?
not helping as in i will get guilt trip after guilt trip if i am not thinking of my oh so beautiful older sister all the time....(miss you jenn)... :D

I would miss caviar in a tube which I've got the impression isn't very common outside of Scandinavia. I don't like to eat boiled egg without it.

I might also miss soured milk if that's not available. I just don't fancy müsli or cereals in milk and yogurth is so disgustingly sweet.

ricky said:
are you the younger or older sister?
not helping as in i will get guilt trip after guilt trip if i am not thinking of my oh so beautiful older sister all the time....(miss you jenn)... :D

i'm the younger one, what a pain... and can it be that the older sisters always more beautiful than the younger one? or is it just this way in my family? :confused: :)

i'd miss the mountains and the ocean. i'd also miss peanut butter and coffee. the big thing would be the space. i'd miss the size of the houses and streets

Back