• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

what's the worst or strangest advice you've ever received?

jenn

my 4 year old came down with a violent case of the stomach flu last night and today while chitchatting with a friend she recommended i give him coke and salt and vinegar chips. i laughed until i realized she was serious. apparently in her family this is an age old cure for vomitting.

so what is your zany advice you have been given, health or otherwise?

ps did NOT go with my friends suggestion :p

it is actually an advice, just a phrase every person uses, and it is going on my nerves!!
(sorry for my english, i just switches languages again :D)
the statement: "Calm down...", "let it go...", what does it mean?? i think if anybody hurts you, you have the right to rage and be frustrated... why should i calm down??

Sorry for violating your thread!!

no it applies. i feel the same. when i am upset, obviously i know i should calm down, but telling me isn't going to make it happen faster. and i think venting your frustrations is much healthier than "letting it go.."

For me personally, the worst advice I ever got was "Have another beer, it'll cure your hangover...."

After puking my brains out the night before, that advice had me searching for my brains in the same toilet as I lost them in....

When I was a kid I had a summer job cleaning Madison Square Garden from 6 am to 2pm, after the shows and circuses and concerts, whatever. There was a crew of old Polish ladies who worked there full time and they used to yell at me if I worked: "Take it easy. If you work, we all got to work. Put that mop down. Take a nap. Get a coffee."

The philosophy was never ever work, because it makes everyone else look bad. Some good advice, huh?

They also had a strict heirarchy for who keeps found objects, which is another story . . .

Oh yeah, along the same lines as Moto's,

"Staying out all night is way better than catching just an hour or two of sleep."

Not.

Of all the bits of advice I've received from my parents, these three stick in my mind -

1. Never buy a flat (apartment).
2. Never play with an ouija board.
3. Never volunteer for medical research.

They've come in very handy in my everyday life! :D

novella said:
Oh yeah, along the same lines as Moto's,

"Staying out all night is way better than catching just an hour or two of sleep."

Not.

Actually, I agree with this one, if I've been out drinking and I only get a couple of hours before getting up for work I tend to feel worse than if I just keep going.... :p

I had very ridiculous case in Russia frontier, this year. I am not pure-blooded russian quarter azerbaijanian, quarter russian, quarter osetin(one Northern Caucasia nation), and quarter as you can suppose englishman. But face - typical majahed ;)
September of last year was very difficult to Russia at all, and to Northern Caucasia espesialy. Beslan, dying little angels, and all in this staff ....
So when I crossed frontier in one side, it was't very big trouble, I flew to Azerbaijan, made personal businesses. After 4 days I have to go back, to Russia. Suppliers of goods are waiting for me, bank, my gerlfreind ... and others wait too.
When landed in Moscow, I helped women with 3 children to bring her luggage. Then became time to fill some documents, customs inspector frown and said with defiance "I wish you know russian language" It was shock for me. I lived in this country almost for 10 years, and now she (oh, i forgot, it was SHE) telling me like that, this. Should I gran to somebody about such disrespect? I don't know. How do you think?

jenngorham said:
my 4 year old came down with a violent case of the stomach flu last night and today while chitchatting with a friend she recommended i give him coke and salt and vinegar chips. i laughed until i realized she was serious. apparently in her family this is an age old cure for vomitting.
so what is your zany advice you have been given, health or otherwise?
ps did NOT go with my friends suggestion :p

When I was a kid, drinking flat Coke definitely helped me to ease tummy troubles, no matter how bad. Ginger Ale also worked.
Never heard about the salt & vinegar chips, tho. Did she say to give him the coke & chips together? That sounds awful!

The strangest advice I've gotten is to use bread to pick up broken glass bits from the floor. It works like a charm but I laughed when I first heard it, thinking it was absurd.

A friend's mom told my friend an I to try a few cigarettes, smoke pot (but only until we graduate high school), and start dating married men. We were ten at the time. Great lady.

Given advice: "when you have pimples, go to make pearly rice soup and mix it with milk or someother things (forgot what they are) and then put on your face!"

The next day, Urgh. :( :mad: :eek:

Rustam said:
Then became time to fill some documents, customs inspector frown and said with defiance "I wish you know russian language" It was shock for me. I lived in this country almost for 10 years, and now she (oh, i forgot, it was SHE) telling me like that, this. Should I gran to somebody about such disrespect? I don't know. How do you think?

Poor thing.:eek: Silly lady!:mad:
I've experienced similar things, but what I don't get is, why Norwegians never get tired of asking me, when I came to Norway.:D
When I tell them, I'm born here, they get a strange look on their face, and look puzzled and confused: "Oooh, then you've been her pretty long?"...

Well.. yeah.:confused:

My mum, she has her own "medicine" for everything. She mixes up stuff and goes: "Those doctors know nothing, try this." :D

Hmmm, they do look a lot alike :D

Actually "if you break your legs dont come running to me" is a really comon expression here in the UK. So it's not just my mum that's nuts lol

Whoever told this Monk to keep his superglue in the general vacinity of his eye drops wins some kind of award. This comes from Yahoo News:

BANGKOK, Thailand - Doctors have partially restored the sight of an 81-year-old Buddhist monk who accidentally glued his eyes shut when he mistook a tube of superglue for eye drops.

The doctors at Angthong Hospital, 100 kilometers (60 miles) north of Bangkok, used a chemical solvent, acetone, to dissolve the glue in the monk's right eye, a hospital spokesman said Wednesday. The two-hour operation was done Tuesday.

"His eye is not damaged, the right eye can see clearly after the operation and the doctors said the left eye also is not damaged," a hospital spokesman said.

The monk, Phra Khru Prapatworakhun, who is the abbot of a temple in Angthong, was to have his left eye operated on Thursday, the spokesman said.

Back