• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

When do you buy, and when do you borrow?

Mari

What goes into your decision about whether to buy a book or borrow it from the library?

Usually if it's a classic or if it has been highly recommended by someone I trust I'll go ahead and buy it. Seems like a lot of books I check out at the library are more of a whim or an experiment. I have found myself lately getting into the bad habit of buying books more often and neglecting the library.

Usually depends on money. I love to buy books, but eating is more important. If I have money I will peruse a book store. If I don't, I'll go to the library. Mind you, if a book I really enjoyed or have been looking forward to reading for a while is on sale or in a used bookstore, I will usually buy it. I can't resist a bargain!

i basicly buy when there is no one i can borow from, or the books are cheap second hand books, or if is a brand new must have.

Whether or not the Library has it in stock! But seriously...I only purchase paperbacks, Hardbacks are too expensive. I've got a kid in private school!

I rarely use the library. My choice is always between when do I want to buy new and when do I want to buy used. There's a lot of good books in good condition that can be bought really cheap at used book stores. There's a lot of books that you can't get anywhere but used book stores (or garage sales).

I have gotten most of the books I own from estate auctions. There was one auction that had about 30 boxes of books. The first few boxes were fairly expensive, so I waited. After a while, the boxes were sold at two dollars a box, and I still waited. Then the final 10 boxes were placed together, and no one would bid 15$ or 10$ or 5$ or 1$. I said "fifty cents" and the auctioneer immediately said "sold!" Yes, that was a fine day.

Mari said:
What goes into your decision about whether to buy a book or borrow it from the library?

If it's books in a series, I will buy them, and if they are stand alone books, most of the time I will just go to the library. Basically, If i start a book from a series that I really like, I will go ahead and buy the rest of the books in that series, but I borrow the first one.

I like to buy rather than borrow...I would rather be able to keep the book in case I ever decide to reread it, and if it's really good I can suggest it to someone and lend it out. I don't mind borrowing from someone I know, but I hate borrowing from the library, it gives to much pressure to finish the book and it doesn't leave time to read the book at ones own leisure.

Defy Buy
As I like to keep them + So many bargins (2nd hand ) books out there in Great condition
And so many 3 for 2 offers nowdays
5k3bme

I almost always buy books because I like to keep them so I can reread them if I am so inclined. Plus, used books are cheap, and some of them are in really good condition.

I make use of interlibrary loan to preview a book I'm interested in buying. As a homeschooler, I buy a lot of books-anything I think we'll use more than a couple of weeks, or that more than one child might use. I also use the library as much as possible for books I know I'll only read once. Garage sales, estate sales, library sales, and used book sales are favorite cheap ways to get books. I also have a zooba membership, which is a pretty good deal-any book I want is $9.99, which includes the shipping costs. I like to use www.bestwebbuys.com/books to find bargains too.

I buy whenever I have money. I normally borrow from the library whenever I don't.
(But I usually just get nonfiction books from the library like for math, science, etc.)

I usually buy books, the only thing that affects my decision is whether or not I like the jacket blurb, the cover etc etc. I do also use a library, mainly to check out new authors before I buy. :)

When i was younger i used to borrow stacks of books at the local library. I went there pretty often as it had a great atmosphere. At that time i rarely bought any books, i borrowed most of them from the library. However i really dont like the library close to where i'm currently living. I always feel like a criminal when i go there to borrow a book. Its mostly down to the attitude of the staff i guess. Anyway i pretty much stopped borrowing books, and now i buy everything i read.

Like a lot of you, I buy, and never borrow. The reason is pretty much the same - I want to reread a particular thing how I want it, when I want it. Plus I like to have them around...

I suppose I'll borrow books for academic purposes, but then I'm not studying yet, so there's nothing to borrow. :)

ds

i was actually thinking about that today. i guess i buy books that i know i'll love and want to re-read later on. some are just impulse buys. some i buy b/c i couldn't find them in the library.
with library books, its mostly impulses, or if i'm not sure if i'll even like the book. i've taken out a lottttttttt more books than i've bought over the years

I usually borrow the books from the library if I can. I only buy books if they are unavailable at the library, or if it looks like a really good book. It's mainly a money thing - I don't really want to be spending money if I don't have to.

MonkeyCatcher said:
I usually borrow the books from the library if I can. I only buy books if they are unavailable at the library, or if it looks like a really good book. It's mainly a money thing - I don't really want to be spending money if I don't have to.

yeh my moms like that. or used to be.

Back