• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

When you were a kid, who did you read?

lenny nero said:
If you read those magazines as a child, you just couldn't help being influenced by them. They contributed greatly to my smartassness.:D

Sure, they and other humerous works help us see the funny side when others just miss it altogether!

I read a lot of Enid Blyton. The daughter of a friend of my mum's passed on her old books - two large carrier bags of Blyton! I liked the Famous Five and Mallory Towers series best. This was heaven for someone who loved reading but whose parents couldn't afford to buy a lot of books.

My other main read was any pony story I could get my hands on, but especially Patricia Leitch and Ruby Ferguson.

I also adored the Asterix comic books.

I was bought quite a few "classics", such as Heidi, Little Women etc, but I never liked them even then.

Peronel said:
I also enjoyed Paul Jennings, Enid Blyton, the Babysitters Club Series (is it Ann M. Martin?), and some classics that came with a weekly magazine series, including "Heidi" and "The Secret Garden".
I forgot about Paul Jennings - I loved him when I was youngr and all the teachers would read him to us when it was story time :D

I also adored The Secret Garden - I read it over and over! I also really enjoyed this set of Christian books that my Nana got me for one of my birthdays - can't remember the author but some of the titles included Trial by Poison and The Drummer Boy's Battle (set in the Crimean War). They were my first introduction to historical fiction.

As a kid I started reading Goosebumps but then started reading Agatha Christie then discovered that there are million of other good books and started to read other books. From time to time I grab one of Agatha christie's novels and enjoy my time :) .

Jules Verne and Alexander Belyaev. I had a set of five books by Belyayev which I read and re-read probably more than a couple dozen times. When I grew up a bit, I gave those books to a family member and recently went to great lengths in order to get them back.

In retrospect, they were filled with blatant communist propaganda, but I didnt understand it at the time. I plan to reread them this summer. Should be lots of fun. :)

At a somewhat later age(about 10), I think I spent a year or two reading a six-volumes encyclopedia over and over again. It influenced my life more than anything else.

I loved the 'Magic Woodland series' series by Beverly Nichols - sadly they are out of print now, but I still have my original copies - the only books from my childhood that I kept.

I also loved Enid Blyton, especially the Mallory Towers and St Clares series, not to mention 'The Land of Far Beyond' which was a child's version of A Pilgrim's Progress, if I remember correctly.

I also loved E Nesbit's books.

As a kid I read

Judy Blume
Beverly Cleary
Phyllis Reynolds Naylor (esp the Alice books)
RL Stine - Goosebumps series
The Babysitters Club
Sweet Valley High and Jr. High
Nancy Drew Notebooks
Pony Pals series

When I was a kid, I read

Lucy Maud Montgomery
Enid Blython
Erich Kästner (German author)
Michael Ende (German author)
Astrid Lindgren
Agatha Christie
Christiane Nöstlinger (Austrian author)
Angela Sommer-Bodenburg (German author)

and much more I don't remember. Lucy Maud Montgomery, Erich Kästner and Astrid Lindgren are still three of my favorite authors.

Back