• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

where and when?

I plan to visit Portugal and Prague.

Portugal is on my list-to-do already for two or three years, ever since I finished Baltasar and Blimunda by José Saramago - he managed to transfer such a vivid picture of the constructions in Mafra that ever since then I wish to go there. I almost went once, but then we went to Alps in Switzerland, instead... Great trekking!

And Prague - well, I live presently not far away, and every weekend (for 2 years already) we think to go there, but then something pops up :)

I plan to visit Portugal and Prague.

Portugal is on my list-to-do already for two or three years, ever since I finished Baltasar and Blimunda by José Saramago - he managed to transfer such a vivid picture of the constructions in Mafra that ever since then I wish to go there. I almost went once, but then we went to Alps in Switzerland, instead... Great trekking!

And Prague - well, I live presently not far away, and every weekend (for 2 years already) we think to go there, but then something pops up :)

I would love to visit Portugal,I like the music Fado,and the work they do on tiles-Azuleros.I have been in Porugese (comptoire?)colonies,Goa,Esaouira(the old mogador)The little ports they created along the cost.I read that they didn't like to go to far at see.
They must have for Brazil was portugese.I like the language to,specialy Brazilian-portugese

There are so many, for very much the kind of reasons that CDA mentioned – imagine seeing Shakespeare or Beethoven – but it would probably come down to either the 1870s or the late 1920s in Berlin, for Bismarck in the first instance (an absolutely fascinating and brilliant figure) and for the while Weimar and Expressionist art scene and the decadence of the second.

Beer Good,

This is why I do not want to go to past. I am great here in present. I am not interested in meeting Bismark or Shakespeare -oh, as if they would talk to me! Get real!

One can go now for instance to Solzhenitsyn - he is still alive, and to H. Murakami and to many others. If you do not take advantage of visiting the current writers why would you do so in past?!

But I like to see whatever is still here from the past. So Mafra was nicely described by Saramago, and I want to see whether it would bring me to the mood of feeling the past. The place certainly did it to Saramago himself, and he could see deep into past, and dream of how it was constructed!

They must have for Brazil was portugese.I like the language to,specialy Brazilian-portugese

when a Brazilian (we have many in my area) speaks to me in Portuguese, I nod and smile...I only catch half of what he says....but he never seems to have a problem understanding me:rolleyes:

Beer Good,

This is why I do not want to go to past. I am great here in present. I am not interested in meeting Bismark or Shakespeare -oh, as if they would talk to me! Get real!

"Get real"? ~~ROTFLMFAO~~

Have you actually bothered to read the opening post of this thread?

I answered a question that demanded imagination beyond the possible – ie beyond the "real".

If you haven't got either the imaginative powers to do that or the necessary interest in anything in the past, then that's your problem. But don't go around telling people, in a thread where reality is the very opposite of the basic premise, to "get real".

Well, it is a real within un-real :D .

I just meant - that people do not use their PRESENT opportunities, but think that if they had a time machine, they suddenly would talk to famous people.

Wasn't meant to be offensive in any sense though... May be I needed to add some smilies to make it sound more ironically, as I meant it :cool:

You mean the thread dumb?
No I mean Calvin And Hobbes good.

The question's interesting, but frankly I'm pretty happy where I am. There are plenty of times and places I'd like to visit, but to narrow it down...

...OK. I'd set out on a tour of concert halls, clubs and cafés in New York throughout the decades, starting with Charlie Parker and ending up with Sonic Youth. And if at all possible introduce some of them to each other.

Language would certainly be an issue. I think I'd like to visit the U.S. back when the Founding Fathers were doing their thing.

...OK. I'd set out on a tour of concert halls, clubs and cafés in New York throughout the decades, starting with Charlie Parker and ending up with Sonic Youth. And if at all possible introduce some of them to each other.

Nice one ,a bit of a john Cassavets movies.

I do not wallow in nostalgia ether,i'm just curious.

"Get real"? ~~ROTFLMFAO~~

Have you actually bothered to read the opening post of this thread?

I answered a question that demanded imagination beyond the possible – ie beyond the "real".

If you haven't got either the imaginative powers to do that or the necessary interest in anything in the past, then that's your problem. But don't go around telling people, in a thread where reality is the very opposite of the basic premise, to "get real".

what do those initials mean?

Back