• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Where are you from?

muggle said:
Yeah, I check out a few wineries now and then. :) BTW, have you read the book "Jacob's Ladder". Great book that you will enjoy. I drove through Wilderness and your area last weekend on my way up to Dumfries. Usually your area has the cheapest gas around.

Don't let that gas price thing get out, they'll find a(nother) reason to drive the prices up.

I haven't read Jacob's Ladder. Given your record of recommendations to date, I'll have to put it on my shopping list.

Muggle, I had to check out the book to make sure, but I've seen the book Jacob's Ladder someplace, but it didn't look like something I would get into. It was probably at a time when I was saturated with Civil War and didn't wish to read it. I'll have to take another look.

As my name sugests, I'm from Sydney, Australia. I live in the area of the city known as the lower North Shore. Its a nice part of the world - close to the Harbour and national parklands (we have people conducting horse riding lessons in the big park at the end of my street every day), yet we're still only around 15 minutes from the centre of the city.

Anyway, new here, so hi all.

Hi Sydney and welcome, we're just a bit further south than you:D Start a thread to introduce yourself and you'll get lots of welcomes :)

Poppy1 said:
Hi Sydney and welcome, we're just a bit further south than you:D Start a thread to introduce yourself and you'll get lots of welcomes :)

Hi Poppy. Thanks for the welcome, always happy to meet someone else from our little corner of the globe.

As suggested, I'll make myself known in the new members section.

I'm from Miami, Florida USA. I've been living here since 1970 (36 years!). I was born in Havana- I'm Cuban-American.

Michigan.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
--------------------------------------If it was an interesting place, I would fill this area with text.-----------------------------------------
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

:D

Veggiedog, I keep meaning to tell you that I love your litlle veggiedog avatar. When I look at him, I always think he's got a big nose, but one day looked closely and saw it was a speaker. He/she makes me laugh anyway :D

Poppy1 said:
Veggiedog, I keep meaning to tell you that I love your litlle veggiedog avatar. When I look at him, I always think he's got a big nose, but one day looked closely and saw it was a speaker. He/she makes me laugh anyway :D

Thanks Poppy! I always thought that Dogbert and I had overlapping personalities. We're both slightly opinionated, somewhat cynical...and power-hungry [devilish smilie]!

steffee said:
So, Michigan isn't interesting then?

Not hereabouts. Michigan may very well be a very exciting place with the exception of my hometown. It's one of the safest cities in America (which to some would not be saying much...), we all live with our upper-middleclass suburban, tanned, Bush-loving noses up in the air, lounging by the pool in Abercrombie swimwear. Ugh. We have no gangsta's, homicide is virtually nonexistent (as is fun and excitement) and we have nothing to do except pretend to be cooler than the dorks we are. We do have a nice library, though. :D

One interesting funfact about Michigan: world's weirdest weather.

How is your weather weird Veggiedog? I love interesting weather, ours is very boring - sunniest place in NZ:D

Poppy1 said:
How is your weather weird Veggiedog? I love interesting weather, ours is very boring - sunniest place in NZ:D

We can experience all the seasons in one day. The forecast is correct about...oh, maybe 5% of the time, if at all. You'd think they were randomly guessing. We have days when we get torrents of hail in the morning, beautiful sun in the afternoon, and a horrific thunderstorm at night. Usually, at least a few times a year, we have to stay late after school because the school buses can't get through due to tornadoes or hurricanes (which is so odd, we are so far inland!) or severe thunderstorms. Michigan has some of the coldest places in the world, but at the same time we get 80 degree weather in the dead of winter! I have a very complex love-hate relationship with Michigan weather. Well, maybe it's not so complex: when there are snow days, I love it, when the power goes out, I hate it, when it is nice outside, I love it, when the temp is -10 degrees, I hate it...I could go on.

It's funny, I lived in Toronto and Chicago, Illinois and neither of them seem to be quite as strange as Michigan. The gods are cursing us for our prior adamant support of Reagan, I tell you! Luckily, we have turned away from the dark side. The rest of America is cursed because of Bush. :D

It sounds great, veggiedog. Bit of a burden to be equipped for whatever the weather threw at you - sunscreen, sun-hat, umbrella, rain-coat, snow-plough etc etc :D

Veggiedog,
Where in Michigan do you live? I live in the U.P. in Gladstone. Only about 5,000 people. Pretty boring. We're right on Lake Michigan though and have a pretty nice beach. Although it usually doesn't get warm enough to use it for very long. :( We get tons of snow. This year we got about 2 feet overnight. I used to live in Fond du Lac, WI, but about 2 years ago we moved up here.

wickychick1991 said:
Veggiedog,
Where in Michigan do you live? I live in the U.P. in Gladstone. Only about 5,000 people. Pretty boring.

You want boring? try living in Northern Ireland, I live in the "trousers of nowhere" near a small coastal town named Donaghadee.

wickychick1991 said:
Veggiedog,
Where in Michigan do you live? I live in the U.P. in Gladstone. Only about 5,000 people. Pretty boring. We're right on Lake Michigan though and have a pretty nice beach. Although it usually doesn't get warm enough to use it for very long. :( We get tons of snow. This year we got about 2 feet overnight. I used to live in Fond du Lac, WI, but about 2 years ago we moved up here.

Hi wickychick1991,
I live in southern Michigan, pretty close to Detroit (sadly the only place in Michigan that anyone has ever heard of, huh?) just like half the other people in the state. I love the UP; it's gorgeous--the trees, the snow, you know, nature. All we have here are our manicured lawns and artificial lakes :p. I wish we had gotten more snow this year. We only got one snowday this year! :eek:! The scandal!! I wish it would snow more. We barely even got to go skiing once! And it gets so hot here down here in the summer. And I thought Michigan was supposed to be one of the coldest states in America!

Fistandantilus said:
You want boring? try living in Northern Ireland, I live in the "trousers of nowhere" near a small coastal town named Donaghadee.

Everything I've read about Northern Ireland makes it seem like a beautiful place! It sounds like a place where fairy tales could be set. I can't imagine it being boring. :)

I am from southern ohio.

I have been to the UP of Michigan several times...what do you guys do for entertainment besides snowmobiling in the winter? Also, what industry and jobs do you guys mostly have up there?

Fistandantilus said:

I wondered where Midkemia could be. I bet the scenery is absolutely beautiful even if it is boring. What sort of things are there to do in Donaghadee?

Back