• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Where did you buy it?

Are Koobs like Hoobs?

Amazon, Otakars and Waterstones mostly. With the occasional Borders and Foyles visit.

I bought my last book from the library, it cost me $0. Once I'm done with it, I'll be returning it so that someone else can get it for $0 as well. It's a pretty cool concept.

Hey! Mort and I shop at the same place! We are bound to bump into each other eventually!

Seriously, I have four kids, a husband and a house, money for books for me just isn't there. On the rare ocaission I do shop for books, I get them from discount online book stores like Daedalus and Hamilton as gifts for other people, or used from Amazon for me and that is usually one time a year, Christmas. The bulk of what I read comes from the library.

Thanks for the intresting comments :)

Anyone else?
Also why do you guys shop at those places you listed what attracks you to the site/store?

I'm mostly attracted because it doesn't cost me anything, and because I can search for books on their web site and have them put on hold for me. When they arrive at the library, they let me know via e-mail that they're ready to be picked up. I wander around the library occasionally, but most of the time I just go in to pick up my items from the "held books" shelves.

I love my second hand bookstore. They're right next to the alternative cinema and they stay open late on movie nights so I can get all my culture in one fix :D Somehow they know only to carry books that will interest me and even new books are 20% off the cover price. They guy behind the counter is cute and flirts with me in a nerdy, intellectual way. What more could you ask for?

buddi

I'm afraid I'm too impatient for libraries. Ours is smallish and it could take weeks to get a new book in my hands. :eek: Unacceptable! Books are part of my monthly budget, much like food and electricity. :rolleyes: I do have some friends and we pool resources, though and then trade back and forth. I'm tactile, so I like to peruse bookshops like B&N, or Hastings and the like. I will do Amazon for pre-orders of new books not yet on the shelf, though.

Libraries are great but unfortunatley too small for me. I need some months to get through most of the books, which are interesting and the coming years I spend specifically looking for new books in the shelves. It's quiet frustrating to look for a good book for 1 hour or more and not find one. Furthermore there arn't a lot of english books (which I prefer) and most of the time you don't get hold of the new ones. There is a 1 Euro fee to order a book so that's not really a possibility (I know that's not really expensive but most of the time, they don't have the books I want at all).

I like buying books because then I can put them in my shelf and look at them all the time. LOL Amazon ist the only good bookshop around here (my opinion) and I can research books there. Every time I read a book from the library and I love it, I'm frustrated because I didn't buy it. :(

Well, first I'd like to say hello as this is my first post on these boards. As for where I purchase my books, I'm a huge fan of using ebay to get them, I can usually find them in nice condition for dirt cheap from ebay stores and I've yet to run into a rude or problem causing seller.

Mort said:
I'm mostly attracted because it doesn't cost me anything, and because I can search for books on their web site and have them put on hold for me. When they arrive at the library, they let me know via e-mail that they're ready to be picked up. I wander around the library occasionally, but most of the time I just go in to pick up my items from the "held books" shelves.

Mort said it all. Even though my local library is small, they can get just about any book I want. If it is not in another branch in my area, they can get it from another system, even though it may take weeks. I am patient and I usually have several books to read and have yet to find myself waiting for a book to come in. I have in the past bought my books, only to end up donating them to the library. If I kept them, they would only take up space, I'm not going to read them again. I also prefer to spend any hobby money on my other hobbies, for things I have to buy and can't borrow for free.

Anywhere from Thrift Stores to Target to Walton's. I have an especially hard time leaving Target without a book. The last book I bought was at the grocery store. It jumped out in front of me and said buy me.

Back