• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Where e-readers go when they die

SFG75

Well, my first generation kindle gave up the ghost and died. :( You know the screensaver thingie? I hit the slider and half of it remained, while the text that I was reading appeared on other parts of the screen. I've unplugged it, left it off a week, recharged it after letting it run down, and of course, googled about it. The good news? Looks like Santa sees my woes and I will be upgrading. Sad to see the old one go.

-Is it weird to keep your old broken kindle on the bookshelf? I always noticed in old houses how people kept old hot irons for doorstops and the like. Maybe in a hundred years, we'll also see kindles become the same function, or at least, our children's children will.

My beloved beloved Sony Reader went the same way :( :( and I'm afraid I entirely lack sentimentality - they are in the bin. Unfortunately a new battery + the hassle of installation was more expensive than a new reader - go figure.

I am hopeful that amazon outlasts my lifetime as a business. I'm not sure what will happen to the content if they ever went belly up due to derivatives trading or something.

'Dead Tree' books can easily be recycled, perhaps 'dead rainforest' might be more applicable to e-reader tech.

'Dead Tree' books can easily be recycled, perhaps 'dead rainforest' might be more applicable to e-reader tech.

I think that is a little unfair because I'm sure there are many parts of an e-reader, if not all, that can be recycled if you don't live in the back end of nowhere like I do. I know that computer parts are very recyclable.

Kindle HD fire in hand, life is good now.

Seriously though, this is more of a tablet than a reader. I don't mind surfing the web, watching the videos, and the like, but this is not a reader. A point of minor quibble I know, but something I find disagreeable.

Back