• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Where? Wolf of Houston.

Wolf

My wife keeps asking me weird questions via PM, and every time I ask her why, she points me here. So thank Ashlea for bringing me here. :D

I am mostly a Sci-fi and Fantasy reader, but I also enjoy Westerns, Historical Fiction, and Thrillers from the Tom Clancy Stephen Hunter genre. I enjoy other authors such as Alexander Dumas, Eric Van Lustbader, and Alice Borchardt.

Hobbies are cars, whiskey, reading and movies.

P.S. Name is Wolfram, so Wolf is actually a valid abbreviation. :cool:

Hi Wolf (very cool abbrieviation, that!!), welcome to the Boards, you'll find us a friendly bunch of booklovers!

Oh, and by the way, Ashlea is right in pointing you here all the time. This is simply THE place to be, right now. Simple as that!

Cheers, Martin :D

Welcome to the Book Forum, Wolf.

Love your avatar! So is that Ashlea doing all the talking? :)

Just a question, do you and Ashley have different computers, or are you feverishly swapping users on the same one when you post??

Phil

We each have one at work and now we each have one at home since my laptop purchase. Wireless networking is the best ever. And having 2 computers kept me from having to kill him. :p

I know that feeling!! If only i had two copies of the CDs for all my games, i wouldnt be wrestling my fiancee for them all the time (we generally buy games two at a time now, so that i can play one and she can play the other, then we swap over :) )

Phil

Originally posted by RoyalDiariesFan
what's the avatar?

It's two people in a rally car. :D I'm a moderator of sorts on a car forum, so it kinda fits. I like cars in general, but I own a VW 2001 1.8T Wolfsburg Jetta that has seen some improvements.

Originally posted by HBinjection
What brands of whiskey?

Bourbon mostly, but I branch out on occasion.

Bourbon - Old Forester is my every day standby, but Booker's, Knob Creek, Wild Turkey, Blanton's, Elijah Craig 18yr old, Evan Williams Single Barrel and Maker's Mark all have a spot in my cabinet.

Non Bourbon American whiskey - Jack Daniels, Gentleman Jack and McKendric from here in Texas.

Irish - Bushmill's or Jameson's mostly, but I don't sneer at Black Bush or Tullamore Dew.

Canadian - Pike's Creek is my favorite, but I'll drink Crown Royal, Canadian Club Sherry Cask, and I have a bottle of 40 Creek at home that isn't bad.

Blended Scotch - I have only really enjoyed the Johnny Walker line starting at Black, but I really haven't had the occasion to explore this section much.

Single Malt Scotch - I've tried and enjoyed The Macallan (any age, and I have a bottle of cask strength at the moment,) Balvenie and Balvenie Doublewood, Dalmore, Dalwhinnie, Glenkeith, Glenlivet & Glenlivet French Oak, Glenmorangie, Talisker, and Oban, but I usually only have a couple different bottles that I am trying at any one time in the cabinet.

I love having whiskey tastings, but I would never consider myself a connoisseur since I don't have the taste memory for it. Maybe enthusiast would be the right word.

Mostly just the bourbons listed are in there, but I run about a dozen bottles at a time. For the price of one night out on the town I can buy a book and a bottle. :p

Originally posted by Wolf
Blended Scotch - I have only really enjoyed the Johnny Walker line starting at Black, but I really haven't had the occasion to explore this section much.

I live in Pennsylvania where all wine and booze is sold by the state, so the whiskey selection can be limited.

But PA is trying to branch out and improve their selection, especially of wines and high-end liquors.

They now publish a glossy magazine and distribute it for free at liquor stores. There was an article about blended scotch I thought was interesting. The article claimed that the idea that single malts are superior to blends is a fairly recent phenomenon. The distillers created the idea of an exclusive whiskey they could charge a bundle for. It was a great marketing idea that caught on.

But like you, I haven't tasted a blended scotch I enjoyed as much as a good single malt, but my experience with really top-shelf blends is limited.

And because no one wants to shell out $100 bucks for a blend, I'll bet a lot of good whiskeys never reach the shelf.

The article listed several top-flight blends. The local store carries none of them, although they were available for special order.

I'm guilty of unwillingness to shell out big bucks for blends. I guess until I do, I will remain unconvinced.

Back