• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Which book scared you?

justgoofin

Has anyone read a book while your in the house by yourself and it's late at night and you seem to notice every little sound your house makes that just scared the living #$!@ out of you. I read one when I was a little younger about Vlad the Impaler that gave me a pretty good scare, seems like you don't notice your scared so much until you've just finished the book and your sitting there thinking all about it. I'd be curious to see what some books are that made someone else feel like this so that maybe I could give them a try. :eek:

I've never had any shit scared out of me by books but "The Yellow Wallpaper" by Charlotte Perkins Gilman and "Ring" by Koji Suzuki managed to create very uncomfortable moods for me. Uncomfortable in a good way.

While those scared me on an emotional level, “Solaris” by Stanislaw Lem managed to scare me on a more intellectual level as it takes the concept of not being certain of your existence into a feasible scenario.

The last book to really creep me out was A Winter Haunting by Dan Simmons. It had me looking at shadows twice.

Honestly frightened? Not just sort preoccupied with morbid ideas?

Hmm, I was a kid, I think I was 8 or 9 years old. I can't recall the precise title or find it on Amazon with what I remember, but it was named something like "I have a Friend Named Helen" and it was about a girl who was around my age at the time, with a little sister who I think was like 5 or 6 yo. The little sister meets a ghost kid by a pond who wants to play with her, forever and ever and ever (MUAH, HAH, HAH), and the older sister is just there, a kid herself, trying to fight the ghost back as she sees it happening but no one believes her.

It scared the bejeesus out of me, I didn't sleep for days.

I read John Saul books when I was young and he made me look at my school mates in an entirely different way.... the devil lies within children, according to J.S.

Intensity by Dean Koontz.

I'm not a fan of horror in any way, shape or form. I don't like the uncomfortable feeling at all!! But when my partner sent me this book from Canada, I thought I ought to read it given it had travelled so far. I think I read the first third... and then had to leave it be. It haunted me for days!!! Brrr...

it by stephen king. hate clowns, hate balloons, couldn't look down drains for months and months.

i've really only read stephen king for a scare. i really don't like being scared truthfully. i also read the boogie man by stephen king, a short story, scared the crap out of me.

Well, when I finished Pet Sematary last week, I was a little creeped out. Because my grandparents were down and they took my room, so I had to sleep in the basement. My basement is creepy enough, but after reading Pet Sematary, all bets are off. Haha.

honeydevil said:
if there is a book out there that can scare the crap out of me, i'll buy it and the rights too!

Try Intensity, and tell me you didn't double check your dead bolt at night. Brrr...

I would add another vote for It. I read it over ten years ago and there are still scenes from that book that haunt me!

Another vote for "It" here. Jenn, I'm with you, clowns and balloons FREAK me out. Have you guys seen the Nokia ad where the guy is waiting at the bus stop and they send all the clowns down to cheer him up? If I saw ten clowns running at me through a paddock I would be screamng and running away.

Anyway....I avoid drains almost unconsciously now. :)

I also loved "Bag of Bones" just for the freak-out factor

I thought It was really pretty. I really like the strong bonds between all the friends, it was heart warming. I mean, of course it drew up some strong, frightening images every now and then... but for the most part, to me, it was really endearing.
What my boyfriend and I remember the most about It (as far as scary/gruesome goes) is
a scene in the library, where Ben sees Pennywise as a vampire. The vampire has like razor blades for teeth and then bites down, cutting its gums... or something like that.

I think I remember Pet Sematary freaking me out a bit because I was reading it all alone in a big house at night.

It was definitely one of Stephen King's best. Infact all books where he wrote about friendship among young kids are excellent.
but the most scared I felt was while reading Salem's lot one night alone at home. I could almost see vampires outside my window scratching at the glass.

Back